Got stranded this weekend

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Took the kids to the park Saturday to practice basketball and when we went to leave I couldn't start my 2016 Touring. Instead, I was presented with a series of "problem" messages...

Adaptive Cruise Control Problem…
Lane Keeping Assist Problem…
Electric Parking Brake Problem…
Emissions System Problem…
Brake System Problem…
Brake Hold System Problem…
Power Steering System (EPS) Problem…
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem…
Hill Start Assist Problem…
Collision Mitigation System Problem…
Road Departure Mitigation System Problem…

And at the end, it said "Fasten Seat Belts" which made me smile. In any event, the car would not start / move

Anyway, I got towed to the dealership on Saturday. Their initial thought was that it was just the battery but it turned out not to be the battery. They called me Saturday night and said they ordered a part (can't remember what part they said it was) that should arrive Monday (today) and that I might get it back as early as Tuesday (tomorrow).

On a related note, it was also a PITA to disengage the parking brake so that I could get towed. Perhaps the two problems are related. I took a quick peek in the owners manual but I didn't see any comment about how one would disengage the parking brake in an emergency or if, for example, your battery was dead and you couldn't see any lights on the dashboard to know if it is disengaged or not. In my case, after several minutes of "pounding" on the release button, the BRAKE light finally went out on my dashboard.

Anyone else run into something like this?

RC
Sponsored

Last edited:

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Took the kids to the park today to practice basketball and when we went to leave I couldn't start my 2016 Touring. Instead, I was presented with a series of "problem" messages...

Brake System Problem…

And at the end, it said "Fasten Seat Belts" which made me smile.

Anyway, I got towed to the dealership on Saturday. Their initial thought was that it was just the battery but it turned out not to be the battery. They called me Saturday night and said they ordered a part (can't remember what part they said it was) that should arrive Monday (today) and that I might get it back as early as Tuesday (tomorrow).

On a related note, it was also a PITA to disengage the parking brake so that I could get towed. Perhaps the two problems are related. I took a quick peek in the owners manual but I didn't see any comment about how one would disengage the parking brake in an emergency or if, for example, your battery was dead and you couldn't see any lights on the dashboard to know if it is disengaged or not. In my case, after several minutes of "pounding" on the release button, the BRAKE light finally went out on my dashboard.

RC
First ive seen.. Interesting.. Good you gotnit to go off at some point tho

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
nuclear approach -- replace the ECU. lol
Damn...I must have been hit by an electromagnetic pulse while shooting hoops at the park. :).

Did a search on this issue while I was waiting for the tow truck and saw that a few others have had similar things happen - ranging from the battery issue that the dealership thought it might have been to one person who "accidentally" put diesel in their tank. And many of them said it happened within a few months of owning their Civic (I've had mine since July 2016).

Whatever happened to me this weekend must have been some kind of sensor and/or computer module that is linked to a bunch of systems. Hopefully will know more today.

RC

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Hmm interesting especially about the parking brake issue.

jms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '21 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Had the same exact thing happen to me twice during the first 3 weeks I owned my 2016 Civic Touring. I read someplace that it might have been caused by the Hondalink app on my iphone. Once I removed the app I never had the problem again.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Had the same exact thing happen to me twice during the first 3 weeks I owned my 2016 Civic Touring. I read someplace that it might have been caused by the Hondalink app on my iphone. Once I removed the app I never had the problem again.
Hard to believe the app could knock out the car like that.

With that said, I used to have the HondaLink app on my iPhone, but never reinstalled it when I erased by iPhone 6+ trying to troubleshoot a CarPlay issue. So it certainly wasn't on my iPhone this past weekend.

RC

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I've seen this complaint many times for 2016 models, usually coupes.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For what it is worth, the dealer is replacing my Transmission Control Module (TCM) to (hopefully) address the issue from this weekend. Part came in late so I probably won't get my car back until tomorrow (Wednesday) - assuming the TCM addresses the problem.

RC

rh37hd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civc EXT
I had the exact same problem with all of the messages and the parking break that wouldn't disengage. Trick is to reset the battery - take one end off, leave it for 10 seconds, put it back on. Bam, car is as good as new - fired up fine and haven't had the problem since. One thing to note, it did reset the average MPG history and all that good stuff.

Dealer of coarse wanted me to have it towed so they could look at it which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I now keep a socket in my glove box for the next time this does happen, and I would recommend any other other does the same.

Here's a video from my incident:

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had the exact same problem with all of the messages and the parking break that wouldn't disengage. Trick is to reset the battery - take one end off, leave it for 10 seconds, put it back on. Bam, car is as good as new - fired up fine and haven't had the problem since. One thing to note, it did reset the average MPG history and all that good stuff.

Dealer of coarse wanted me to have it towed so they could look at it which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I now keep a socket in my glove box for the next time this does happen, and I would recommend any other other does the same.

Here's a video from my incident:
Good to know.

In my case, however, they said it wasn't the battery - although prior to looking at my car the service advisor and a technician both thought it was going to be the battery. Nevertheless, I'll keep a socket wrench with me going forward just in case.

RC

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Good to know.

In my case, however, they said it wasn't the battery - although prior to looking at my car the service advisor and a technician both thought it was going to be the battery. Nevertheless, I'll keep a socket wrench with me going forward just in case.

RC
He wasn't saying "it" was the battery. He was telling you to "CTRL-ALT-DEL". Pretty much the same "this thing is packed with computers talking to computers" 'fix' for everything from your toaster to your lawn-mower to your car these days.

Disconnect the battery (or power), wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery. Modern living 101.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
He wasn't saying "it" was the battery. He was telling you to "CTRL-ALT-DEL". Pretty much the same "this thing is packed with computers talking to computers" 'fix' for everything from your toaster to your lawn-mower to your car these days.

Disconnect the battery (or power), wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery. Modern living 101.
Understood...

I think the service advisor and technician meant the same thing too when they referred to it as the "battery"

Drove the car home today. Work order said dealer 1) replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and 2) updated PCM (??) software. I think they mentioned "these" all referred to "tech bulletin 454" but not sure.

Anyway, car seems good again. And thank ____ for warranties. :)

RC

mst3k0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Understood...

I think the service advisor and technician meant the same thing too when they referred to it as the "battery"

Drove the car home today. Work order said dealer 1) replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and 2) updated PCM (??) software. I think they mentioned "these" all referred to "tech bulletin 454" but not sure.

Anyway, car seems good again. And thank ____ for warranties. :)

RC
Being as these cars need to occasionally "hard reboot/ pull power and reapply power" I wish Honda would just install a switch that would allow you to do exactly that without having to open the hood and undo the battery terminal. These cars are completely controlled by an onboard computer. To NOT provide an efficient way of doing this inside the cabin seems ridiculous to me. I would love to see dealerships that would offer this as an option.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
Took the kids to the park Saturday to practice basketball and when we went to leave I couldn't start my 2016 Touring. Instead, I was presented with a series of "problem" messages...

Brake System Problem…

And at the end, it said "Fasten Seat Belts" which made me smile. In any event, the car would not start / move

RC
Yes, a rabbit chewed my wires and Honda had to order a new harness.
Sponsored