Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I love my car but over the past year I've been both annoyed and baffled by an annoying rattle. It got to the point I just turned up the radio to drown it out.

It was coming from the passenger side. Seemed to be in the headliner. I tried stuffing foam in every nook and cranny but still had a horrible tap tap tap rattle over everything other than a perfect road surface.

Anyway after months of just drowning it out with music, I gave it one last shot. I pulled down the headliner a bit in the area above the passenger window. And then I found the issue. There was a loose wire with plastic connectors just flopping around in there.

I added some foam in the area the best I could (it's hard to reach) to keep the wire from moving. Then I took it for a test drive. The former loud tap tap rattle is now a faint little intermittent buzz/click. Big improvement and not nearly as annoying.

Not perfect but finally some relief.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pics of a piece of black foam wedged into a dark corner of the headliner above the passenger door? :cool: I mean I couldn't even see the wire really, just did it by feel.

I think my words in the first post are fairly descriptive.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I need to find the rattle near the passenger tweeter panel. Luckily only buzzes in the early morning.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I pulled down the headliner a bit in the area above the passenger window.
I’m a little chickenshit that I’m going to break something.
Does it just clip in place and is fairly easy to pop loose?
I’ve got a similar sounding buzzing/ rattle also, but driver’s side at the back corner of the sunroof.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m a little chickenshit that I’m going to break something.
Does it just clip in place and is fairly easy to pop loose?
I’ve got a similar sounding buzzing/ rattle also, but driver’s side at the back corner of the sunroof.
There’s no clips it’s basically a type of Velcro (which is trash at keeping the headliner still). That’s why it vibrated and rattles a lot. That and they don’t put nearly as much padding. So open the sunroof all the way grab the headliner where it wraps around the sunroof and pull down you’ll hear the velcro detach. It’s pretty forgiving so you can pull it down with no fear of breaking it

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s no clips it’s basically a type of Velcro (which is trash and keeping the headliner still). That’s why it vibrated and rattles a lot. That and they don’t put nearly as much padding. So open the sunroof all the way grab the headliner where it wraps around the sunroof and pull down you’ll hear the velcro detach. It’s pretty forgiving so you can pull it down with no fear of breaking it
Thank you sir.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been working on my car and it keeps getting better by better. Not done but between the doors and the center console alone... it’s starting to sound less... well... awful. When I started out it was so bad, I almost skipped the foam and felt and went straight to
Honda Civic 10th gen Got some rattle relief 0183DD50-31A1-463A-BB09-1428A552DE13

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I’ve been working on my car and it keeps getting better by better. Not done but between the doors and the center console alone... it’s starting to sound less... well... awful. When I started out it was so bad, I almost skipped the foam and felt and went straight to
0183DD50-31A1-463A-BB09-1428A552DE13.png
Nails? Nah, definitely need screws or you 'll just have more rattles when the nails come loose.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one?

Rattles have to be the number one thing that bothers me about this car. I can deal with the easily chipped soft paint and the overly big panel gaps. But those incessant rattles hit a nerve that sometimes has me muttering to myself "what a piece of shit this car is".

But then I crank the music up, put it in Map 3, zoom by some wannabe and all's right with the world.

Until... I lower the music and a new creak, groan, buzz, click or rattle pops up. :doh:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Am I the only one?

Rattles have to be the number one thing that bothers me about this car. I can deal with the easily chipped soft paint and the overly big panel gaps. But those incessant rattles hit a nerve that sometimes has me muttering to myself "what a piece of shit this car is".

But then I crank the music up, put it in Map 3, zoom by some wannabe and all's right with the world.

Until... I lower the music and a new creak, groan, buzz, click or rattle pops up. :doh:
Yeah. I’ve had a lot of cars over the years. I’m not exaggerating when I say I’m pretty sure this is worse than the 2nd Gen Tiburon... and both the Cavalier and Corsica from the early 00s/90s. I’ve heard the latest cars are solid but I think they had some issues on the assembly when we got the early ones. When I pulled my doors apart I found the few screws that were in there holding the door handles on and the single one for the trim itself were super loose and allowing the plastic pieces to move against each other.

I still don’t get the hold over center console front bottom cubby where our USB ports are that was a Gen 9 thing and where they then slapped the tall center console portion right on top of it with big old rattle gaps. Someone from design should have been shot for trying to reuse/poorly redesign a Gen 9 thing into a Gen 10 rattle mine.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you mention the Tibby. My two cars before my Civic were an Elantra GT hatch and a Forte SX. Those cars were nearly rattle free. Matter of fact my Forte SX had a fairly harsh ride but the interior was surprisingly tight.

I was shocked with the variety of interior rattles in the Civic. Unfortunately, like you said, it's the earlier 16's, 17's and 18's that are the worst. Honda added additional sound deadening to the 19+ models.

Bannon

First Name
Bannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T
Country flag
Same here but rattles seems to come from undercarriage more so than in cabin, I think.

Front suspension metal clanking sound when go over humps. But steering feels solid tho and followed by some rattling that seems to come from below my chair or undercarriage on bumpy roads.

Another new sound today. Rapid knocking sound similar to movements from very old wooden doors. This comes when braking at slow speed and again it seems to be coming from undercarriage. Brakes feels ok at normal city drive but my brakes feels spongy at times which is scary at high speed.

As much as I really love the design of this car but it's really annoying considering it's just a year old. I just imagine I am piloting a T65 Xwing. But I do plan to sound proof and have the entire undercarriage tighten if and where needed once I find a workshop that is interested in fixing a car.
Sponsored