Got new tires...

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got new some tires recently...decided to try the Nitto NT555 G2. Decided to go with these because I am not driving a bunch right now, wanted to get longer life, and didn't want to spend as much - but I am noticing some differences.

Compared to the OEM tires, with the Nittos on, the steering feels WAAAY looser and less direct. Is that normal with new tires? With my old tires if you slightly jerked the wheel in one direction it shot in that direction...I do the same thing with these and it is way looser, almost seems wobbly, and kind of "flows" in the direction instead of stabbing in it.

I had the OEM tires on here previously and they were almost completely gone. Is this normal with new tires? Did they mess something up?
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You're feeling softer sidewalls which can feel very scary when you put them on a high performance car. I had a similar experience in an EVO I had where I didn't know about that and ended up going back to the tire place and returning them for a nominal fee / get another set with stiff sidewalls. You don't 'have' to get the OEM tire, but if you want the same feel or close you need a more aggressive tire and one with a very stiff sidewall.

Don't drive much on them and you should be able to swap them out. My car felt dangerous when I had the squishy tires on it so it was worth it to me to eat a bit to get them changed out. Good luck but be safe, what you could do before may not be possible now until you're used to the new tires if you decide to keep them.

OP
OP

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
You're feeling softer sidewalls which can feel very scary when you put them on a high performance car. I had a similar experience in an EVO I had where I didn't know about that and ended up going back to the tire place and returning them for a nominal fee / get another set with stiff sidewalls. You don't 'have' to get the OEM tire, but if you want the same feel or close you need a more aggressive tire and one with a very stiff sidewall.

Don't drive much on them and you should be able to swap them out. My car felt dangerous when I had the squishy tires on it so it was worth it to me to eat a bit to get them changed out. Good luck but be safe, what you could do before may not be possible now until you're used to the new tires if you decide to keep them.
Thanks for the response...I knew tires were a big deal, but didn't realize they would make THIS much of a difference. Crazy. The continental sport contact 6 are about double the price of the Nittos. Wondering if I should just dish it out and put those back on. Can't believe the change is this big.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
True....Think I might return them and throw something else on, but not sure what.
With the stock wheel your options are limited, but personally I'd just put the OEM tires back on and do less burnouts lol. If you adjust your wheel size you may have better high performance options but I just checked Discount tire and it doesn't seem like there are a ton to choose from in our stock size.

OP
OP

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
With the stock wheel your options are limited, but personally I'd just put the OEM tires back on and do less burnouts lol. If you adjust your wheel size you may have better high performance options but I just checked Discount tire and it doesn't seem like there are a ton to choose from in our stock size.
Yeah that is where I got them too. I think I will have to go with OEM since I am not trying to change the wheels right now. Feels bad man. Only other option might be P ZERO PZ4 SPORT or Pilot Sport 4S..

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that is where I got them too. I think I will have to go with OEM since I am not trying to change the wheels right now. Feels bad man. Only other option might be P ZERO PZ4 SPORT.
Such a nominal price difference I'd just roll OEM lol. If you do go with the PZ4's please put a review up so others know what to expect when running them.

OP
OP

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Such a nominal price difference I'd just roll OEM lol. If you do go with the PZ4's please put a review up so others know what to expect when running them.
You think OEM over Pilot Sport 4s?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You think OEM over Pilot Sport 4s?
No idea, I'd search around for others that have tried them. Don't want to offer insight unless I rolled them myself - good luck!

billabongrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 92 Integra track rat
Country flag
The nitto NT01 is one of the best tires I’ve ever tracked.
The nitto the OP chose, meh.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Damn, this was the tire I was looking into when I do install my new wheels. Now I gotta research more.

op, what wheels were you on and what we’re the tire specs?

OP
OP

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn, this was the tire I was looking into when I do install my new wheels. Now I gotta research more.

op, what wheels were you on and what we’re the tire specs?
DO NOT get these tires. I installed them on OEM wheels so 245/30/20. The difference between the handling and steering is night and day. I honestly felt like I was driving on gumballs with these things on. First thing I did this morning was call to exchange them and put the continentals back on.

I walk to work so I don't even drive my car as much as I used to, but these things were miserable to drive with coming off the OEM tires. In a straight line they were good and the ride was comfortable. Steering was extremely light and sharp turns felt wobbly and unstable.

Learned my lesson trying to save a couple of miles and dollars. @NapalmEnema really summed it up in his first response.

Last edited:

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Get Michellin Pilot Sport 4S over replacement OEM. PS4S has better grip in all scenarios(hot, cold, wet, dry) than OEM and the tread is supposed to last 30k miles instead of the 10k of the Conti Sport Contact 6. I run PS4S and could not be happier. I'll keep getting them for as long as I run the stock wheels.
I too run ps4s. They do grip nicely. I also like the fact that they last up to 3xs as long as the oem tires.
Sponsored