Got my Ultra Racing lower rear bar and I don't have a clue

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
IT's been almost a month since the install. Any impression updates?
Yes! Sorry, this got pushed back because of my front pipe project.

This brace has been good to me. I’ve been periodically checking the torque and it hasn’t loosened up at all. I’ve been jacking the car up multiple times this month and one thing I’ve noticed is that when jacking up the rear on one side, both sides come up at the same time. The rear end didn’t use to be that stiff!

The difference it makes is similar to the trunk brace, but it’s not quite as pronounced. I would say it’s a complementary brace, not an essential one.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels very neutral during cornering. It reduces understeer and makes the rear suspension work a bit harder. You won’t feel a noticeable change in steering response or an increase in ride harshness like the trunk brace.

Having installed all of them, the biggest improvements come from the rear braces.

If you only buy one brace, buy the 4 point trunk brace. It improves steering feel as much as the strut brace and makes the rear feel so much more planted. Once you install it, you’ll realize how just much chassis flex there is in the rear.

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my Ultra Racing lower rear bar and I don't have a clue 3B3F4D2A-34D3-4333-B939-494A03E2769F

I also installed the subframe brace, and felt almost no difference with stock-ish suspension. I wouldn’t recommend that one unless you’ve substantially upgraded the front suspension. It’s also very difficult to install, compared to the others. Plus it makes it harder to use the jack point on the subframe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my Ultra Racing lower rear bar and I don't have a clue F48A9CD3-0EFC-40D2-A025-214A037E955A

The front power brace, which goes just behind the OEM radiator brace, is easy to install and works primarily by preventing flex in the most flex prone area, at the end of the “k” arms. It changes steering feel and increases front end grip, but not as noticeably as the strut bar.

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my Ultra Racing lower rear bar and I don't have a clue C9505C5D-63B9-4647-9E6E-C4D7B115BAC2

Regarding the middle lower brace, it cannot be installed except on the hatch, si, and ctr because the bolts needed to install it are not present. So, it requires riv-nuts if you have an FC1/2 like me.

Cliffs:

-Front strut bar: essential

-Front power brace: complimentary

-Front subframe brace: complimentary

-Middle lower brace: complimentary

-Rear lower brace: complimentary

-4 point trunk brace: essential

Last edited:

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Whats the difficulty of install on the trunk brace? And is the benefits really worth the $175+ with discount? I already have a front strut brace and was pleasantly surprised with the added steering feel. Would like to tighten up the rear as well.

This brace has been good to me. I’ve been periodically checking the torque and it hasn’t loosened up at all. I’ve been jacking the car up multiple times this month and one thing I’ve noticed is that when jacking up the rear on one side, both sides come up at the same time. The rear end didn’t use to be that stiff!

The difference it makes is similar to the trunk brace, but it’s not quite as pronounced. I would say it’s a complementary brace, not an essential one.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels very neutral during cornering. It reduces understeer and makes the rear suspension work a bit harder. You won’t feel a noticeable change in steering response or an increase in ride harshness like the trunk brace.

Having installed all of them, the biggest improvements come from the rear braces.

If you only buy one brace, buy the 4 point trunk brace. It improves steering feel as much as the strut brace and makes the rear feel so much more planted. Once you install it, you’ll realize how just much chassis flex there is in the rear.

3B3F4D2A-34D3-4333-B939-494A03E2769F.jpeg

I also installed the subframe brace, and felt almost no difference with stock-ish suspension. I wouldn’t recommend that one unless you’ve substantially upgraded the front suspension. It’s also very difficult to install, compared to the others. Plus it makes it harder to use the jack point on the subframe.

F48A9CD3-0EFC-40D2-A025-214A037E955A.jpeg

The front power brace, which goes just behind the OEM radiator brace, is easy to install and works primarily by preventing flex in the most flex prone area, at the end of the “k” arms. It changes steering feel and increases front end grip, but not as noticeably as the strut bar.

C9505C5D-63B9-4647-9E6E-C4D7B115BAC2.jpeg

Regarding the middle lower brace, it cannot be installed except on the hatch, si, and ctr because the bolts needed to install it are not present. So, it requires riv-nuts if you have an FC1/2 like me.

Cliffs:

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I have the coupe and unfortunately that 4 point brace isn't available. Ugg so frustrating because I really want to install it!
I may go for that rear lower brace. I already have a front strut bar.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How is the 4 Point trunk brace mounted into those upper holes? There isn't Any threads in there and the steel is really thin there.

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

Cliffs:

with that rear strut brace are the back seats unusable?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
with that rear strut brace are the back seats unusable?
Doesn’t touch the back seats at all. You won’t have to mess with anything unless you drop one of the mounting brackets in the hole. Then the whole rear deck has to come off to get it out. Ask me how I know.

I recommend wrapping dental floss around the threads and pulling it through so that doesn’t happen.

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Doesn’t touch the back seats at all. You won’t have to mess with anything unless you drop one of the mounting brackets in the hole. Then the whole rear deck has to come off to get it out. Ask me how I know.

I recommend wrapping dental floss around the threads and pulling it through so that doesn’t happen.
Thanks for the info, super helpful posts, so if you were me (on stock suspension) would you do a strut tower brace and the 4 point trunk brace for starters?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, super helpful posts, so if you were me (on stock suspension) would you do a strut tower brace and the 4 point trunk brace for starters?
For starters, in all honesty, the two most effective first handling mods are better tires and a beefier rear sway bar.

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
anyone know how hard is this to install for the si with center exhaust?

BLUECIVIC17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
When you install this rear lower bar, you re-use the existing subframe bolts right? Stupid question but when you remove them does anything happen? In other words what do these bolts support? There's no instructions with the rear lower bar.

Chicago425

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

Cliffs:

Do you remember the torque specs for the trunk brace? Great info btw

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Using the dental floss to fish the bolt make things a lot easier.

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my Ultra Racing lower rear bar and I don't have a clue IMG_7652

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

How did you get the bolt into the subframe for this brace?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
After a long long long time I finally had this brace installed and have a few observations about it.

First off, it's a simple install. Two subframe bolts come out, install the brace with the same bolts .. done.

YouTube install video

On the road, it does a couple things. For one, it definitely tightens the rear up -- without any noticeable added harshness. On rough roads things are quieter in the back. It just feels more solid.

Around the curves there's definitely a small reduction in understeer. Combined with my new lighter wheels and better tires, the car's road manners are so much better now. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Hey Mitch
Get the Spoon/Magic Collars.
huge improvement in turn stability especially in uneven road conditions at all range of speed. Actually adds to comfort.
Sponsored