got my license plate stolen

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi, as of this morning I noticed my rear plates missing on my civic. Honestly had no idea or how long because I normally reverse park so it could've been for the past two weeks who knows. I called and made a police report, just gotta go to DMV to get new ones and pay a fee. Just curious, I tried googling some products for anti theft but most of the products seem to have some sort gimmick. Any recommendations out there? Also I don't know why they solo'd me out you can obviously see the car next to mine still has theirs. I'm thinking it was a friendly neighbor....

Honda Civic 10th gen got my license plate stolen 17855593_10211093333881082_5402159538088460951_o
Sponsored

Tuishimi

Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, Rally Red, 6 spd manual
Vehicle Showcase
What the heck. People ... grrr.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
i personally would just use some thing simple. if they come back again and its locked down tightly where they cant just unbolt it. they might just rip it off instead

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
i personally would just use some thing simple. if they come back again and its locked down tightly where they cant just unbolt it. they might just rip it off instead
The tamper proof screws might work. Unless you're being specifically targeted, the idea would be to discourage the offender so they move on to the next car. Which is good for you, but sucks for the next car.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi, as of this morning I noticed my rear plates missing on my civic. Honestly had no idea or how long because I normally reverse park so it could've been for the past two weeks who knows. I called and made a police report, just gotta go to DMV to get new ones and pay a fee. Just curious, I tried googling some products for anti theft but most of the products seem to have some sort gimmick. Any recommendations out there? Also I don't know why they solo'd me out you can obviously see the car next to mine still has theirs. I'm thinking it was a friendly neighbor....

17855593_10211093333881082_5402159538088460951_o.jpg

I had this happen to me a few years ago. I think it's a California thing to be honest as I've never heard of this anywhere else. I suspect it is likely taken and the stickers are heated off and the plate is trashed. The plates are flagged as stolen so there's little incentive to keep them. The stickers are harder to read though. The state has a problem where everyone is rolling with no plates or dealer plates which obviously are beyond the 90 day mark.

If makes you feel any better, Gov. Brown signed legislation which will stop this beginning 2018. No more of that no plates anymore, everything will have a date and be written in marker so the people who never file with plates won't be able to do it anymore.

At any rate, file a police report, go to the DMV and you'll spend a whole day there, then you will have to pay to get a new registration and plates. You won't pay the entire cost, but it's $20 I believe.

What I did for the Toyotas is put a bunch of socket head screws, or you can do allen. Makes it less likely to take. The standard flat head or phillips are too easy to take.

Btw, if you are in CALIFORNIA, I suggest once you get your plates, to blade up the sticker. Once thieves see the sticker is shot they are less likely to take it.

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious if they're stealing plates to use for a crime. There's been a lot of pursuits in LA lately. Including an astro van the other day that was cold-plated.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Unless the OP is very unlucky, I'm inclined to believe they were stolen for the stickers. The OP has a brand new car, new plate and only one annual sticker at the time. When mine got stolen, the car was not new, however; the plate was b/c the previous plate had another state so my car was kept clean, new plate, and only one annual sticker so far. It was taken after 6 months. At the time there were tons of other cars with basic screws, but all their plates were dirty had several years stacked on top of each other and just a mess. Ironically only mine was taken.

I didn't even mess around with the screws on my Civic. I just took a new Xacto blade and put over a dozen slash marks over the month and year very carefully after applying it. If they try and peel it off, it will come off in pieces. No problems with my plate. Actually I did this for all my family member's plate too and bladed up the stickers.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you get a new plate with the same number or you need a completely new one? Here it would be a very hard and expensive process to register the car again, and the plate number is connected to all the other stuff like insurance, toll gate card etc.. . To prevent theft the screws have pressed government seals on and cannot be taken easily.

net4n6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SC400, E350, Lifted 4runner
Country flag
I just took a new Xacto blade and put over a dozen slash marks over the month and year very carefully after applying it. If they try and peel it off, it will come off in pieces. No problems with my plate. Actually I did this for all my family member's plate too and bladed up the stickers.
You don't need to do that. The sticker will "break apart" if you try to peel it off. Once it stick on, you can't peel it off. As far as I know, I can't.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Can you get a new plate with the same number or you need a completely new one? Here it would be a very hard and expensive process to register the car again, and the plate number is connected to all the other stuff like insurance, toll gate card etc.. . To prevent theft the screws have pressed government seals on and cannot be taken easily.
Unless it's a customized plate it's going to be an entirely new plate. It's not that expensive but the DMV without an appointment takes the entire day dealing with paperwork. He will be given a new set of plates that day. If they are custom they will need to be re ordered.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
You don't need to do that. The sticker will "break apart" if you try to peel it off. Once it stick on, you can't peel it off. As far as I know, I can't.

This guy in this video got off 80% of his using a pocket knife haphazardly. Heating up the plate and being able to work with it you can probably get off the entire thing using some care and effort although it takes take so it's easier to take the plate so you can work on it somewhere else. Ironically he is also from California and my guess is had the same issue occur
Sponsored