Got my first speeding ticket, what are my options?

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
insurance wont see it? so my rates wont go up?

and im not concerned about paying the fine, im more concerned about if and how much my insurance rates will go up per month.

the ticket fine is: (the amount is like spare change to me)
set fine - $37.50
total payable - $52.50
It's the conviction of a traffic offense that the insurers can see if they choose to check you driving record. Demerit points only determine your ability to have a driver's license, so even a conviction with zero demerit points can impact your insurance. A conviction happens when you pay the fine without going to court (ie, plead guilty), go to court and receive a reduced penalty or are found guilty at court. But of course, if you have demerit points, that means you have convictions. So yes, demerit points can indirectly affect your insurance, but not being penalized demerit points on a conviction does not mean you are clear of an insurance increase.

http://pointts.com/traffic-ticket-questions/demerit-points-insurance/

And for all your traffic ticket fighting advice: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-...r-traffic-ticket-speeding-parking-etc-945928/
Sponsored

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
EDIT: nevermind, this is for California, not Canada. Although you should check to see if you can do this in Canada.

Don't roll over unless you are feeling really guilty.
Request a trial by declaration:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/34713.htm
If you lose, request a trial de novo.
The goal is to put the ticketing officer through as many hoops as you can in the hopes that he fouls up the paperwork or doesn't show.

Last edited:

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
If the fine was THAT low, then just pay it. Time > Money

iDerek2

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In upstate NY where im from, any speeding tickets you get, as long as you go to the court and plead not guilty, it gets changed to a Parking on Pavement ticket unless your a repeated offender of the county.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

and im not concerned about paying the fine, im more concerned about if and how much my insurance rates will go up per month.

set fine - $37.50
total payable - $52.50
That's it?! For as much as we've spent on our cars, that is spare change. Just pay it, no need for a headache.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

set fine - $37.50
total payable - $52.50
That's incredibly low...

I've had speed camera "tickets" (not really) that were $40 a pop in Maryland, and one that was $125 in DC (costs more to get an automated ticket vs. an actual speeding ticket in DC, the hell).

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
it really isnt that bad of a deal..your insurance will go up for a bit...here in CA, the record will gone in 3 years

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Just pay it and go on about your life, because you won't beat it. I mean, you were speeding, so it was your fault. It's not like the cop was out to get you, he was doing his job. Sorry.
I couldn't have said it any better. I love all these people saying to fight it in court. I mean come on, the guy was speeding, it's his fault. It's not like he was rushing an injured child to the ER or something. If I got a ticket for speeding, because I had a turtle head poking out, should I try to beat it?

Dang

Last edited:

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
I agree with some of the above posters here. You mentioned how the cost of the ticket is mere "pocket change" to you. If that's the case, then you sound well paid, and taking time off work on a working day to deal with this (unless you have days off during the week and your court date happens to fall on them) would cost you at least as much as simply paying the ticket.
Sponsored