First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a civic 1.5 turbo, i did around 5k miles and car is 6 months old so i decided to take car to dealership to get my oil
changed for first time, in between regular service intervals at 9k miles or 1 year (or maintenance reminder in car) whatever comes first, i was inside shop when oil was changed, first thing i noticed when he undo drain plug oil was pitch-black ;)
and he threw some stories that original new car oil from honda has some break-in special oil additives and that changing
oil at 5-7 k miles is ridiculus, i do around 9k miles per year ... i defended that over 10 years that will cost me around 800euros and it is minimal cost for longevity of turbo and engine itself...

they use only SHELL oils, so i told him i want one of the cans home with me to check if this oil is any good ;)

OIL IS shell helix ultra 0w-20 SN

is this oil good enough for my engine or not ?

thanx for replies :)
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any SAE oil are good enough.
Short research with google ....

Most important is change your oil regularly.
I put full synthetic oil , any brand.

Some people my like more other brand, car engine will not see any difference in normal use.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For normal driving, any 0W-20 oil (including conventional) will be fine as long as you follow factory-recommended oil change interval. If you drive in harsh environment and track your car, then change it more often.

OP
OP
Zodd

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my concers after i read and i try to understand damn oils ;)

honda requires ACEA a3/b3, shell oil that dealer used is ACEA a1/b1, other stuff writen on can is (API SN ILSAC GF-5)
i mostly drive normal but sometimes i do rev it hard and do some faster runs... i dont really care for gas mileage i want my engine to be best protected.
i want to know why honda dealer and service department used a1/a3 instead a3/b3...

i would be really glad for some kind of explanation on this....

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my first oil change today 4l-helix-ultra-sn-0w-20-high-version2

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
what does your manual says on the oil requirements page? can you share a photocopy? I'd be curious to know what Slovenian (EU) civics are speced.

But to answer your question, oil you used is perfectly fine for the application. Pennzoil Platinum is the same as the oil you've used and runs fine in US civics

OP
OP
Zodd

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what does your manual says on the oil requirements page? can you share a photocopy? I'd be curious to know what Slovenian (EU) civics are speced.

But to answer your question, oil you used is perfectly fine for the application. Pennzoil Platinum is the same as the oil you've used and runs fine in US civics
Honda Civic 10th gen Got my first oil change today image1.PNG

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
you should be fine even though it's not A3/B3 rated. If I were you on the next oil change go something A5/B5 rated in 5w30 weight, in fact I'm running 5w30 myself even though us manual says 0w20 only

smuratx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan RS 1.5 T 182 hp
Country flag
There is written something very important and it is very clear " If you use 0w-20, you should use 'Honda Engine oil Type 2.0' ", otherwise use 5w-30 or 0w-30
So if 0w-20 oil will be used talking about oil ratings and other 0w-20 oil alternatives is meaningless, this is what the manual says.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is written something very important and it is very clear " If you use 0w-20, you should use 'Honda Engine oil Type 2.0' ", otherwise use 5w-30 or 0w-30
So if 0w-20 oil will be used talking about oil ratings and other 0w-20 oil alternatives is meaningless, this is what the manual says.
No, it's not what the manual says. My manual says the following, and my manual is superior to yours: :D

"Recommended engine oil:
• Genuine Honda Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container."

"Use a Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature as shown."

There is nothing about Type 2.0 and both choices given are equally good.:thumbsup:

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Not in our North America manual
Turkish Civic manual is different ? Or OP ( Slovenia ) are different ?

Read and follow owner manual for your country.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
European ACEA A1 rating is not used any longer in the newest 2016 ACEA specification. I understand it was split into basically A3 and A5, of which A3 has more protection, A5 has better gas mileage.
B is irrelevant, because it's for diesel.
If an oil has A1 certification it simply means it was certified before 2016. If it was recertified today, it would be either A3 or A5.
The oil I'm using right now (M1 0W20) probably has also A1.

Actually I checked, and the oil I'm using currently doesn't have any ACEA certification at all. But the 5w20 I'm using for my CRV and 0w30 have A1.

But your engine is European, so it will fall apart if there is no ACEA A3 or A5 on the bottle.;)
Sponsored

Last edited: