Got backed into while in a parking garage

bhead9318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My car was sitting unattended in a parking garage in Cincinnati for the day and after I had driven back home I noticed this on the front right bumper and fender. No note or insurance left.

The black slice you see near the bottom is actually a credit card sized hole. I got it appraised by my insurance's repair shop and they said they would need to replace the front bumper and repair and repaint the front right fender for $1,200. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper way to go about fixing this, or at least making it less noticeable? I can't convince myself to shell out $1k+ for some minor aesthetic problems. I already used some scratch out and removed most of the white scratches (my guess is that was paint from the vehicle that hit me). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Honda Civic 10th gen Got backed into while in a parking garage IMG_20170401_194600 (1)
Honda Civic 10th gen Got backed into while in a parking garage IMG_20170401_194626 (1)

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Have you talked to your insurance agent? It may vary by state, but in Virginia at least, damage done by someone who doesn't leave a note or anything falls under your uninsured motorist coverage and therefore a claim for the damage doesn't count against you as far as raising your rates.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear but I know it shouldn't go against you but this is happened to me when I had my Coupe. Insurance said, it wouldn't affect my premiums...

BS

They said it was National Rate Increase. :(

RANT. Why can't insurance be base on individual?!?!

OP
OP
bhead9318

bhead9318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Have you talked to your insurance agent? It may vary by state, but in Virginia at least, damage done by someone who doesn't leave a note or anything falls under your uninsured motorist coverage and therefore a claim for the damage doesn't count against you as far as raising your rates.
My insurance agent said because a collision occurred (regardless if I'm at fault or not) it falls under a collision claim. I don't believe it's going to raise my rates.

OP
OP
bhead9318

bhead9318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I appreciate the idea but there's no way I'm going to all that trouble of getting the enter bumper replaced with another slightly less damaged one!
Several years ago I did similar damage to the rear bumper on my 2005 Civic by backing into a pole. I found someone on eBay that was selling painted bumpers shipped for like $200. It took a few weeks for painting and delivery, but it looked fine and mounting it was pretty easy.

I just looked and don't see anyone selling ones on there for a 2016, but there are several selling ones for earlier year Civics. Maybe contact one of them for a quote on a 2016 one. Then check out some Youtube videos on paint chip repair for fixing the damage on the fender.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate the idea but there's no way I'm going to all that trouble of getting the enter bumper replaced with another slightly less damaged one!
If you want it back perfect I understand but it's a simple job you can do yourself and save $860.

If it were me I'd either have a local guy do the work that is a chemical engineer by day but a paint/body guy (with all the certifications) by night. It's a hobby of his that has grown into a side business. He does excellent work but doesn't charge body ship prices. You may could get lucky and find someone similar yourself.

moodyplaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic hatchback lx
There's really no other way to fix that and make it look good as new other than repainting it. And car paint is expensive unless you find a small local shop that isn't corporated. Small shops tend to be cheaper and more laid back on prices but your insurance might not work with them.

If you don't want to pay for the repaint then your only other option is to hit it with a polish to get rid of the scratches that didn't cut the clear. Then just put touchup paint with a brush.

Ussually bumpers are always fixable unless theyre punctured or cracked and you dont need to buy new ones but that gash that goes through the bumper is what drives labor costs up for fixing so a new bumper is cheaper.

Again it depends on the shop you go to.

Won't look good unless you repaint.

I work at a body shop so if you got any questions just ask

Blitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have a $1000 deductible?

If you already talked to your insurance your rates are probably going up anyway.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, I think he was referring to paying it out of pock without going through the insurance. Most people have $250-500 deductible.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
There's some damage to the body panel behind the bumper, so to truly bring the car back to new would involve some body work and paint blending. That's not something you're going to be doing by yourself.

OP
OP
bhead9318

bhead9318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You have a $1000 deductible?

If you already talked to your insurance your rates are probably going up anyway.
Yes, I have a $1,000 deductible so it isn't going to make much of a difference.

No, I think he was referring to paying it out of pock without going through the insurance. Most people have $250-500 deductible.
Read above.

HondaGirl999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I live by jackasses, and received some lovely scratches on my back drivers side bumper. Not quite as deep as yours, but still painful. I took it to get detailed today, and it made a huge difference. They're definitely not as noticeable now. I paid $160 for the detail, & that included claying the car, compounding, waxing and using Chemical Guys Jet Seal. Hope you figure out something to do!

People. What a bunch of bastards.
Sponsored