Got a thud or bang when car is cold......

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a noise that seems to have developed now that it's gotten way colder.
It only does it when the car is driven for the first time after sitting overnight. It happens just as I pull off, one thud or a loud tap, r colder it is, the louder,only does it once then it never does it till the next day after sitting again.
It's been around 30- 40 degrees out, makes the sound every day, got up to 60 one day and it didn't do it.
Any ideas what it might be?
Sounds like it's coming from passenger side and it is real noticable if you open up the glove box.
Sponsored

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Do you back into a parking spot when you park for the night? Or does it this after backing up then pulling forward? I’m thinking brake pads moving.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you back into a parking spot when you park for the night? Or does it this after backing up then pulling forward? I’m thinking brake pads moving.
Yea, I have to parallel park into my handicapped spot, but usually the last thing I do is pull forward after backing into it. But the thud occurs as I'm pulling off without the brakes on, it's always after it moves about 3 feet.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I had that on my Prelude, but in the rear. Started out as irregular (happened occasionally) thud in cold morning and eventually turns into squeaky loose coil spring. Try push down on the struct see if it makes the noise.

Brake pad frozen/rusted/stuck to the rotor also makes similar sound.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Don't worry about that, it is winter.........

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had that on my Prelude, but in the rear. Started out as irregular (happened occasionally) thud in cold morning and eventually turns into squeaky loose coil spring. Try push down on the struct see if it makes the noise.

Brake pad frozen/rusted/stuck to the rotor also makes similar sound.
That was my first thought. Brake pad stuck to the rotor on the rear after the brake is released. It does make this sound. Happens to me also when the car has been sitting for a bit or after washing the car and the rotor has been wet and then releasing the ebrake.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Yes!! I've been dealing with the very same issue since my 2017 Hatchback was new. I've gone to multiple dealers, contacted American Honda and made several videos (and threads on here) about it. I finally got the axle shaft bearing replaced last Spring and it seems to have made the sound a little quieter and less frequent, but it is still there. That bearing is located basically right behind the glove box.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/axle-shaft-bearing-leaking-fluid.39811/

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes!! I've been dealing with the very same issue since my 2017 Hatchback was new. I've gone to multiple dealers, contacted American Honda and made several videos (and threads on here) about it. I finally got the axle shaft bearing replaced last Spring and it seems to have made the sound a little quieter and less frequent, but it is still there. That bearing is located basically right behind the glove box.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/axle-shaft-bearing-leaking-fluid.39811/
I have an appointment on Monday, I'm just fearing the we can't duplicate it speech. If course they don't be able to after I drive it there since it's only first thing in the morning when it's cold. Hopefully they'll want to keep it a day and be able to check it the next morning.
Sponsored