Goodyear Eagle Sport tire ideal tire pressure?

dieter21

WhiteWidow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

alright so this may be stupid but my buddy and I were going back and forth and he's more of a car guy than me so I'm taking his word, but figured it'd be better to confirm it on here. Alright, so when I got my car, the tire pressure system came on and I checked the pressures and they were all around 40 psi with the exception of one that was indeed at like 37ish. Per the title, those are the tires that came on my new 17 SI. Okay, now the question: My dad always taught me growing up to keep the tires around 33-32 psi, therefore, seeing them at 30, i lowered them to 33 front 32 rear (per owners manual). I started to hear tons of screeching on normal stops, normal turns, and accelerations, not high RPM acceleration of the line or anything. My buddy said they're sport tires with a max psi of 51 (per on the tire) and suggested I put them to 47ish psi, like he did on his STI with 51 max psi tires. said I could be doing excessive wear by running the 51 max psi at 33 and would explain the screeching. just trying to figure out what the ideal pressure to be running these at here in the fall. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The recommended pressures are right on the door jam. Your buddy might be a great guy but he’s a complete idiot on this topic.

If that’s cold inflation he is probably exceeding the max inflation of his tire once he’s been driving a bit and it heats up.

The reason your tires are squealing easily is because they suck. Just wait till you experience them in the rain LMAO.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
You’ve been running the a/s sport tires at 33psi for a long while now. How have they worn so far? Look at the wear, start from there and then adjust based on what you see on the tread and what you prefer with driving feel.
I prefer a stiffer ride and better fuel economy, so I upped my psi. I just ditched the a/s Goodyear for the Pilot 4s, and I’m still figuring the right psi. But I’m definitely not running them at 33psi per Honda recommendation...too soft and lousy mpg.

Deleted member

Running at 40 psi(let alone something completely bonkers insane like 47) is just asking for a blown tire and a blown tire can be extremely dangerous.

Go by what's in the door jam.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Is this for real? 51psi? Just follow the damn setting recommended by the factory 33F/32R.

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The recommended pressures are right on the door jam. Your buddy might be a great guy but he’s a complete idiot on this topic.

If that’s cold inflation he is probably exceeding the max inflation of his tire once he’s been driving a bit and it heats up.

The reason your tires are squealing easily is because they suck. Just wait till you experience them in the rain LMAO.
Agree definitely about the rain part ( and the other points you and other post say). In the rain it would almost be like driving on snow or ice.:yes:

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Follow what is on the door jam like everyone else said.. If you want more understeer or oversteer you can tweak the pressures slightly (like if you are going to autocross for example). Still I never ever approached max tire pressures even when I did that..

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
those a/s tires are sucky sucky. that is, theyre fuckin awful... it really doesnt matter what psi you put in those things theyll always be shit.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Tire pressures are a compromise. Honda puts the sticker with a suggested PSI level to accomplish goals of Ride quality, Noise, Handling, Vibration etc.

If you want to optimize fuel efficiency, you might run them a few PSI higher for instance to minimize rolling resistance.

If you were to go Autocrossing, you might pump the fronts to 40 and drop the rears to 30 to impact cornering characteristics.

If you were trailering or hauling heavy loads or always had 5 people in the car, you might up the rears a little bit to compensate for the additional weight.

While tires do have a "max" psi, it is rarely, if ever, the preferred PSI due to items listed above.

Vtisi4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Guys please. You should never over inflate tires. You want to use 1 ps1 over no problem but 40 psi no go.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I have always gone by what's on the door jamb and never, ever had a problem with any car I've ever owned.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
51 cold if you drive on caynon you'll be like 60 Hot . Blown tires and super bumpy ride.

I got 595rsrr even at stock 35 psi they are stiff . Part of the sidewall design . I have ps4s in the back in case it rains but at 36 psi to lessen body roll and more rotation .

Suggestion : burn those oe tires up . Burn out , hand brake turn idc . And get a set of real tires .

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I’m running Michelin PS4s. 39 front, 36 back. Rides and handles great

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
I run 38 front and 36 rear on my Si. I’ve tried many different psi and after a lot of trial and error, I found that this setting gave me the best handling, grip and ride.
Sponsored