Goodbye Civic X

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well hopefully you'll be able to find another in the future for a reasonable price but I doubt it, unless manufacturers start taking a bigger position on dealers marking cars up to astronomical levels and losing them sales in the end. Think about how many more R's could have been produced for the US if they had been sold at or below MSRP the entire time.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Congrats man, good move. Best time to sell of you can live without the car, especially for good financial reasons. $52K is absolutely nuts lol

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
You did the right thing....

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
How did you get 52k when there are plenty of cars out there for far less money? Who did you sell to?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
How did you get 52k when there are plenty of cars out there for far less money? Who did you sell to?
He is in California where they upcharge everything. That's how he was able to get the deal he got.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
He is in California where they upcharge everything. That's how he was able to get the deal he got.
I went to carvana and entered his location before posting. It showed similar cars listed for several thousand less and these were for sale at retail pricing which is why I was curious. Either way, Iā€™d have done the same thing!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck on your future endeavors. I downsized from 4 to 3 cars as well and am having fun tooling around in my 300zx these days while happy to have 25k in my pocket from selling my 4 year old Si.

As to the dream car thingā€¦ my feelings towards cars has cooled over the last decade, but my old Z is as close to a dream car as I have. Iā€™ve had 5 Zs over the yearsā€¦ and in ā€˜01-ā€˜03 I had a pearl yellow ā€˜90 300zx twin turbo manual that was *absolutely* my dream car. Sad thing is it nickel and dined me to death and I couldnā€™t keep being broke and sold it.

A decade and a cheaper Z31 and S30 car in betweenā€¦ I got the ā€˜94 I have now and sunk too damn much money on it on principle and because I could afford it. Iā€™ve contemplated selling it now and then but I mostly keep it these days as, wellā€¦ it represents something I couldnā€™t hold on to in my youth I got as an older personā€¦ even if the passions of my youth arenā€™t what they are regarding cars.

You can always get another car down the road if it on bugs you. While Iā€™ve sworn off ever getting another preOBD2 era Z car unless it was a S30 car with a engine swapā€¦ I could still see getting another newer Z in the future.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Good luck on your future endeavors. I downsized from 4 to 3 cars as well and am having fun tooling around in my 300zx these days while happy to have 25k in my pocket from selling my 4 year old Si.

As to the dream car thingā€¦ my feelings towards cars has cooled over the last decade, but my old Z is as close to a dream car as I have. Iā€™ve had 5 Zs over the yearsā€¦ and in ā€˜01-ā€˜03 I had a pearl yellow ā€˜90 300zx twin turbo manual that was *absolutely* my dream car. Sad thing is it nickel and dined me to death and I couldnā€™t keep being broke and sold it.

A decade and a cheaper Z31 and S30 car in betweenā€¦ I got the ā€˜94 I have now and sunk too damn much money on it on principle and because I could afford it. Iā€™ve contemplated selling it now and then but I mostly keep it these days as, wellā€¦ it represents something I couldnā€™t hold on to in my youth I got as an older personā€¦ even if the passions of my youth arenā€™t what they are regarding cars.

You can always get another car down the road if it on bugs you. While Iā€™ve sworn off ever getting another preOBD2 era Z car unless it was a S30 car with a engine swapā€¦ I could still see getting another newer Z in the future.
I was going in to buy an Si (which they sold right before I arrived) and keep my 370Z. And saw the R in the color I wanted-I didn't even know they had one. So I got it and traded my Z. Was tired of waiting on the new Z and besides, you know the ADM is going to be sky high on those anyway when they finally ship...
I had him for almost 10 years, a 2009 model.
I still miss it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was going in to buy an Si (which they sold right before I arrived) and keep my 370Z. And saw the R in the color I wanted-I didn't even know they had one. So I got it and traded my Z. Was tired of waiting on the new Z and besides, you know the ADM is going to be sky high on those anyway when they finally ship...
I had him for almost 10 years, a 2009 model.
I still miss it.
I kind of feel like I almost have to get the new Z since it checks boxes the last 2 didnā€™t and Iā€™ve never had a ā€œnewā€ Z. By the time I got my first 2, they were out of production between the 97-02 drought. I skipped the 350z and 370z as I had some hangups over them being non-turbo only, no longer Nissans halo-car with the GTR stateside and the high end goodies going to it and no longer the Z and because, wellā€¦ I always bought older Z cars early on as a broke young person and later trying to be a responsible family guy and by the time I got where Iā€™d consider buying one new/newerā€¦ the 370z was the new one. I considered a used ā€˜07-ā€˜08 with the HR engine early in the 370zs run but never found one in the short window I was looking optioned right.

I agree ADM might make it prohibitive to buy new a long timeā€¦ but the idea of getting a modern car is enticingā€¦ though Nissan has a bad track record for 1st year Zsā€¦ as least the Z31/Z32/Z33s. Iā€™ve been so analog in modding these old carsā€¦ CivicX ruined me after using Ktuner and modding my own basemaps before putting on the hot reflashes. The L15 was also an easy engine bay to work in. Parts for Z32s are getting harder to find to where I also like the idea of having a later model car to get parts for if things go sidewaysā€¦ though I bet those new VR engines are *stupid* expensive while the VQs are a dime a dozen and old iron VGs are getting to where I see them less often. I need to spend some time lurking Q50/Q60 forums to see how easy those engines are to work on/mod. The old VG30DETT is pure pain. Iā€™ve done lots of work on them over the years and I just donā€™t enjoy popping the hood to take on projects. I donā€™t even think thereā€™s a single one left in the junkyards in Jax, FL to scavenge from. Occasionally theyā€™ll have a single one pop up. In the 90sā€¦ youā€™d always find a few Z31s and Z32s in the junkyards.

Itā€™s still a golden age of fun cars right now, IMO. Unfortunately the issues with supply, manufacturing and all that jazz has been a huge turd in an otherwise refreshing punch bowl. I was happy to offload my Si since 3 years is usually my limit for a DD as I like to swap around cars and was at 4 years. Iā€™m just holding my cash for a better time to buy again in ā€˜23 or ā€˜24 and driving what I already have on hand in the meantime. The Z is almost at 102k miles at 28 years. I might as well put some more on her. Itā€™s too high to be a collector. Might as well just drive it and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Dminus

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I sold it to car max. I dont know how either. Cuz last time I went to get an estimate it was at 45.

OP
OP
Dminus

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

This is why the forum is so great. Sometimes even your significant other or family members don't understand what it is to achieve a dream car and then lose it. You guys, specially you understand me. Hahaha. Thanks for the comment.
Sponsored