Good dealers in the DMV area?

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima
I've heard that the DMV area can be pretty cutthroat on new car prices, and looking at Tyson's Corner (online ads at 20.5 for an EX-T) it seems to be quite a bit better than what I've seen in central PA.

I visit my parents in the area at least once a month, so I'd like to know if any locals have any suggestions on who to go to or avoid.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its definitely competitive, but you still have to be leery.

I bought my Touring from Tyson's because they had the lowest advertised price at the time (I bought a month after they came out). They have high dealer doc fees, the max that VA allows at $599, and that is not advertised. I still got around $2.5-$3k off MSRP though.

Two co-workers have recently bought a Fit (Koons in Manassas), and a CRV (Pohanka in Fredericksburg), both saved around $2-3k off MSRP.

Someone else here purchased an EX @ Herson's in Rockville, another bought a Touring at Sport in Silver Spring.

I think the Touring at Sport Honda was the lowest in the area I'd seen or close to it at just over $25k OTD.

Avoid Criswell in Gaithersburg, highest prices I've seen and I've never heard anything good about them.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its definitely competitive, but you still have to be leery.

I bought my Touring from Tyson's because they had the lowest advertised price at the time (I bought a month after they came out). They have high dealer doc fees, the max that VA allows at $599, and that is not advertised. I still got around $2.5-$3k off MSRP though.

Two co-workers have recently bought a Fit (Koons in Manassas), and a CRV (Pohanka in Fredericksburg), both saved around $2-3k off MSRP.

Someone else here purchased an EX @ Herson's in Rockville, another bought a Touring at Sport in Silver Spring.

I think the Touring at Sport Honda was the lowest in the area I'd seen or close to it at just over $25k OTD.

Avoid Criswell in Gaithersburg, highest prices I've seen and I've never heard anything good about them.

Hersons is the one in Rockville/Gaithersburg and Criswell is in Germantown. Herson and Frederick seem to give out the most expensive quotes at least when I bought my Civic.

Sport Honda and College Park Honda gave pretty good quotes. For CP Honda you need to be firm with the salespeople because they pull all sorts of tricks on you but if you can navigate through the tricks, they offer some pretty good prices. Criswell is not bad.

Basic background, I purchased 2 cars from Sport Honda so far, 1 from Criswell, 1 from Hersons.

Avoid Ourisman Bethesda Honda. Those people even after 3 huge management changes, they are still slimy sleeze balls. Not a honest bone in those people and they charge ridiculous prices.

Tyson's does advertise some good offers but they tack on a crap ton of fees and other stuff so be mindful of them.

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Like the previous poster I would definitely check out Tysons, I bought my EX at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, they were a couple hundred more than Tysons but I have bought every car there for the past 8 or so years and get all of my service done so it's just familiar for me.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like the previous poster I would definitely check out Tysons, I bought my EX at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, they were a couple hundred more than Tysons but I have bought every car there for the past 8 or so years and get all of my service done so it's just familiar for me.
I got a quote for a Touring from Hendrick and they were nearly $2k more than Tysons :eek:

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
I got a quote for a Touring from Hendrick and they were nearly $2k more than Tysons :eek:
Haha yeah, you definitely have to get them down a bit. I have bought three cars from the same person there though so at this point we just kind of skip to the lowest he is allowed to go. They do add on extras too, I live not far from there and they threw in oil changes for three years and all season mats.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Hersons is the one in Rockville/Gaithersburg and Criswell is in Germantown. Herson and Frederick seem to give out the most expensive quotes at least when I bought my Civic.

Sport Honda and College Park Honda gave pretty good quotes. For CP Honda you need to be firm with the salespeople because they pull all sorts of tricks on you but if you can navigate through the tricks, they offer some pretty good prices. Criswell is not bad.

Basic background, I purchased 2 cars from Sport Honda so far, 1 from Criswell, 1 from Hersons.

Avoid Ourisman Bethesda Honda. Those people even after 3 huge management changes, they are still slimy sleeze balls. Not a honest bone in those people and they charge ridiculous prices.

Tyson's does advertise some good offers but they tack on a crap ton of fees and other stuff so be mindful of them.
100000% agree on Bethesda Honda! Horrible. Sport Honda had the best price for the EX-L coupe I wanted but I was too lazy to drive that far. I purchased from Koons Honda but know that they will screw you on the extras! The finance manager offered me a 100,000 mile extended warranty for $2,500!!! I ended up buying mine from a place suggested here on the forum for $920. Not sure if me being female had anything to do with it.

OP
OP

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima
100000% agree on Bethesda Honda! Horrible. Sport Honda had the best price for the EX-L coupe I wanted but I was too lazy to drive that far. I purchased from Koons Honda but know that they will screw you on the extras! The finance manager offered me a 100,000 mile extended warranty for $2,500!!! I ended up buying mine from a place suggested here on the forum for $920. Not sure if me being female had anything to do with it.
Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up purchasing from a Robert's Honda in PA since my Altima's engine died and I couldn't travel far afterwards. I paid 22.5k OTD for an EX-T sedan. I offered the salesman 21 against his listed price of 23 (with a 1k deposit that day), and after a while he came back from the manager accepting it. I probably could have haggled a little lower, but they only charged a $133 dealer fee and didn't try to upsell me on any crap. Everything else was taxes and tags so the whole process was smooth and pleasant.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up purchasing from a Robert's Honda in PA since my Altima's engine died and I couldn't travel far afterwards. I paid 22.5k OTD for an EX-T sedan. I offered the salesman 21 against his listed price of 23 (with a 1k deposit that day), and after a while he came back from the manager accepting it. I probably could have haggled a little lower, but they only charged a $133 dealer fee and didn't try to upsell me on any crap. Everything else was taxes and tags so the whole process was smooth and pleasant.
Cut straight to the chase, that's always a good thing. Congrats!

RHPA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (Lunar Silver)
You remind me of my customer, Aegean Blue???

Source: I work there!

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
I ended up buying mine from Ourisman in Bethesda, mainly because I was on a time limit (long story) and they were one of only two dealers to have an EX-T with Sensing in stock. My brother has a car buying side business (ultimatecarbuying.com) but Ourisman wasn't one of the dealers he normally works with. He still accompanied me and think I got a decent deal considering the circumstances - just over $24k after destination, tax, title, etc.

I did end up finding out about getting HondaCare from Hyannis after the fact, and brought the Hyannis quote back to Ourisman. The business manager offered to roll over my warranty coverage to HondaCare, matching the Hyannis quote. Reminds me that I need to follow up on that, actually...

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
24k for an EX-T a 2016 civic sedan? You got ripped off. I hate that place. Salesmen are pushy and rude and they are super overpriced.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For a '16 MY, a good price would've been around 22k - 22.5k OTD for MD.

MSRP for EX-T with sensing is $24,035.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't the EX-T w/HS still one of the rarer trim combos? That alone could command a price premium. 24k doesn't seem too out of line.
Sponsored