Going into reverse while driving, have I caused any damage to the cvt?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
"I love my car but I just wanted to see if this incredibly stupid thing would break it" smh
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
To what you said about shifting into reverse at higher speeds. Shifting into reverse isn’t controlled by a tcu. That act is all mechanical.
After watching a video I posted a few minutes ago I checked the civic's serv. manual's CVT section... it looks like there is a mechanical connection between the shifter and the Transmission Range Switch, but the range switch is connected only to the tranmission control unit with a wire harness and is basically just a reliable position sensor. This is sort of a shift by wire system I would say. The TCU controls the hydraulic actuators and clutches, transmission reverse brake and so on electronically. However they never stated that this is a true shift by wire system. Strange.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
After watching a video I posted a few minutes ago I checked the civic's serv. manual's CVT section... it looks like there is a mechanical connection between the shifter and the Transmission Range Switch, but the range switch is connected only to the tranmission control unit with a wire harness and is basically just a reliable position sensor. This is sort of a shift by wire system I would say. The TCU controls the hydraulic actuators and clutches, transmission reverse brake and so on electronically. However they never stated that this is a true shift by wire system. Strange.
Than I stand corrected.

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
Wife’s boss accidentally used her electric parking brake in her Subaru while doing 65. Car fishtailed and grinder to a halt. She threw codes for the next 6 months until she traded it in (it was 4 months old).

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Wife’s boss accidentally used her electric parking brake in her Subaru while doing 65. Car fishtailed and grinder to a halt. She threw codes for the next 6 months until she traded it in (it was 4 months old).
Makes me wonder what would happen with a 10th gen Civic if you pulled the e-brake at speed. I read here that it will just use the regular brakes to slow down and once it comes to a stop, the electronic parking brake activates. I'm not gonna test it, though.

jsharon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Makes me wonder what would happen with a 10th gen Civic if you pulled the e-brake at speed. I read here that it will just use the regular brakes to slow down and once it comes to a stop, the electronic parking brake activates. I'm not gonna test it, though.
I heard It utilizes the braking system how the collision mitigation braking works but I'm pretty sure if you long hold the e brake it will actually engage while moving.