Going into reverse while driving, have I caused any damage to the cvt?

Civic_x

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
Country flag
Hello everybody. I was always curious what will happen if you put the box in reverse while moving and I decided to just give it a try. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Civic, it was just something that I had to do because I couldn’t drive anymore without not knowing what will happen. Anyways, I was going like 6 mph (I decided to do it at a low speed for safety reasons, I’m sure the computer wouldn’t go into reverse at higher speeds) and the car actually went into reverse... it was a really smooth transaction, probably neutral helped to ease the tension before going into reverse. Surprisingly it seems like a very strong transmission and the way it pulled me back from going 6mph is a lifetime experience that I’m never going to try again lol. One time is enough and I’m glad that I got this over with because it was always on my mind (I know it’s very stupid), and at the same time I’m a little worried that I might have damaged the transmission. Any thoughts about the transmission being damaged? It still drives perfectly and no problems after a few thousand miles. I’m just wondering what could have been damaged or if anything is damaged.

Again, I love my Civic, just had to try this in my life and now I can’t stop thinking about the transmission if it got damaged or not.
Sponsored

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Hello everybody. I was always curious what will happen if you put the box in reverse while moving and I decided to just give it a try. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Civic, it was just something that I had to do because I couldn’t drive anymore without not knowing what will happen. Anyways, I was going like 6 mph (I decided to do it at a low speed for safety reasons, I’m sure the computer wouldn’t go into reverse at higher speeds) and the car actually went into reverse... it was a really smooth transaction, probably neutral helped to ease the tension before going into reverse. Surprisingly it seems like a very strong transmission and the way it pulled me back from going 6mph is a lifetime experience that I’m never going to try again lol. One time is enough and I’m glad that I got this over with because it was always on my mind (I know it’s very stupid), and at the same time I’m a little worried that I might have damaged the transmission. Any thoughts about the transmission being damaged? It still drives perfectly and no problems after a few thousand miles. I’m just wondering what could have been damaged or if anything is damaged.

Again, I love my Civic, just had to try this in my life and now I can’t stop thinking about the transmission if it got damaged or not.
Oh God! Now I'm going to want to try it. Lol

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Don’t do it again CVT transmission repairs cost almost double an automatic transmission costs. Most CVT repairs also result in a full rebuild or straight up a whole new transmission. The CVT is literally ran but a belt and pulley system. You may just just scored the belt and pulley face. Although nothing happened because it’s low speeds it’s a pretty dumb way to risk having to spend a couple thousand $$$ on needing repairs/new transmission lol... but now the world knows

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I’m surprised the transmission control unit actually shifted into reverse. But the speed was very low, so It probably wouldnt reverse at higher speeds. I think they allow to do this at low speeds because the car doesn’t know if you are rolling forward or backward (when in neutral).

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The Honda CVT has a torque converter and I almost guarantee it was unlocked during this maneuver, so I would think the hydraulic action of the torque converter absorbed most of the shock and is the reason you didn't get your neck broken with a hard jerk.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I’m surprised the transmission control unit actually shifted into reverse. But the speed was very low, so It probably wouldnt reverse at higher speeds. I think they allow to do this at low speeds because the car doesn’t know if you are rolling forward or backward (when in neutral).
What! No. Just...no

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
You may not have damaged anything this time but please don’t test out your curiosities on something so expensive. Had you broken your transmission you would have felt like really low and for what lol.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
just an idea of possibilities that could go wrong, very simple yet very expensive as jay_swish stated in his post. Nissan is horrible with the cvt and have never had any issues with honda (yet) but I wouldn't continue to "experiment" if possible.

Honda Civic 10th gen Going into reverse while driving, have I caused any damage to the cvt? CVT HONDA 2.0.JPG

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
To what you said about shifting into reverse at higher speeds. Shifting into reverse isn’t controlled by a tcu. That act is all mechanical.
Rreally? I seriously expected the civic cvt to be shift by wire. But fine. Mechanical stuff is usually better anyways.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
should have made youtube video have million views that would pay for new trans
Sponsored