Going back to stock exhaust!

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’m going to put my stock exhaust back on and I’m going to sell my AFE Takeda carbon fiber tips exhaust. I don’t know why I just love the sound of the stock exhaust. I’m going to cut off the tip and have my friend weld some on. My carbon fiber does have damage to underneath the tips because of rubbing on my driveway. But it’s a $1200 exhaust and I’ll sell it for pretty cheap if you’re interested
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I’m going to put my stock exhaust back on and I’m going to sell my AFE Takeda carbon fiber tips exhaust. I don’t know why I just love the sound of the stock exhaust. I’m going to cut off the tip and have my friend weld some on. My carbon fiber does have damage to underneath the tips because of rubbing on my driveway. But it’s a $1200 exhaust and I’ll sell it for pretty cheap if you’re interested
My friend, you made a very good decision, IMHO. As someone who bought the same performance exhaust as you, I regretted it. At first it was great, but than the droning on the freeway and the overly loud note got really old. Even installing an aftermarket resonator only eliminated about 50 percent of the drone. As one commentator wrote:

The 3 stages of performance exhaust madness:
1. Install performance exhaust or straight pipe to make the car louder & throw away stock exhaust
2. Install mufflers/resonators to make the car quiet again
3. Regret throwing away the stock exhaust

It's the same story on the Lexus forum I am on. One guy did a muffler delete, and now is complaining about drone.

Factory setup is king in IMO

Last edited:

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
The stock exhaust doesn't sound as bad as they made it out to be. Has a pretty deep tone once it starts breaking in :thumbsup:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stock exhaust doesn't sound as bad as they made it out to be. Has a pretty deep tone once it starts breaking in :thumbsup:
It's a great exhaust. The tip is...unique, but not bad. I regretted every moment I replaced it and sold it

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replaced my dp/up with a catted RV6 but the factory exhaust is still in place. I love the tone on it now and every time I think about getting something different I think to myself that I don't want more drone (or spend the hundreds of dollars). Even thinking on removing the resonator I go back to leave it as is.. Only thing I want to do is replace the HDMI tip (have a set of dual magnaflow tips from a previous car). Just waiting on aftermarket diffusers for the Si to come out (if ever).

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I love the sound on it to but idk man the HDMI is getting old to me the exhaust I'm aiming for is a 3 tip invidia catback

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love the sound on it to but idk man the HDMI is getting old to me the exhaust I'm aiming for is a 3 tip invidia catback
Just change the tip if you can. As I said at the beginning of this thread, most people find that the sound from performance exhausts starts to get old. Every time I had passengers, they would always mention how loud my car sounded

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Just change the tip if you can. As I said at the beginning of this thread, most people find that the sound from performance exhausts starts to get old. Every time I had passengers, they would always mention how loud my car sounded
Mmmn yeah cheaper to but I wouldn't want to mess with the stock exhaust, the way it was designed makes it sound good

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mmmn yeah cheaper to but I wouldn't want to mess with the stock exhaust, the way it was designed makes it sound good
If you look at the HDMI tip, there are two smaller round tips inside it. You can get a muffler shop to make you a custom tip that won't affect the sound to much. I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but maybe you can talk to a shop to see if can be done

Honda Civic 10th gen Going back to stock exhaust! exhaust tip2.JPG

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
If you look at the HDMI tip, there are two smaller round tips inside it. You can get a muffler shop to make you a custom tip that won't affect the sound to much. I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but maybe you can talk to a shop to see if can be done

exhaust tip2.JPG
Yes this can be done. I want to put in the hitch so I went to the muffler shop and have the tail pipes cut next the the muffler. The new pipes were in with the two round tips. Since I needed space between the tips for my hitch, I opted for the tips pointing outward to the side rather than straight back.
But yes this can be done at the muffler shop

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
I have always thought that the SI exhaust system is quite
efficient except for the down pipe. I find the original sound
rather harmonious.
I changed my down pipe to get more torque and hp.
The sound has remained the same but a little amplified
and always pleasant. No drone.
I have discussed this several times with Amirza.
Sponsored