Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a buddy who owns a powder coating company. Would gloss black look cooler as the grille or a matte black?

Plus I'm thinking about doing the emblem either gloss or matte as well.

Gloss Grille and matte emblem?

What yall think?
Sponsored

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I'm a sucker for some glossy black so that's my vote.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
I have a buddy who owns a powder coating company. Would gloss black look cooler as the grille or a matte black?

Plus I'm thinking about doing the emblem either gloss or matte as well.

Gloss Grille and matte emblem?

What yall think?
Ok so I'm not crazy but I think you are asking if you can have your friend powder-coat your plastic grille.
If that is the case, please be aware in advance that if you choose to do that, there is a likelihood that your plastic parts will warp or even melt in their ovens during the heating process which can exceed temps of 400+ degrees Fahrenheit.

There are MANY articles across the internet that will confirm what I'm saying, and so I just wanted to give you a fair warning in advance, that your parts may or may not be damaged in the process.

Good luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ok so I'm not crazy but I think you are asking if you can have your friend powder-coat your plastic grille.
If that is the case, please be aware in advance that if you choose to do that, there is a likelihood that your plastic parts will warp or even melt in their ovens during the heating process which can exceed temps of 400+ degrees Fahrenheit.

There are MANY articles across the internet that will confirm what I'm saying, and so I just wanted to give you a fair warning in advance, that your parts may or may not be damaged in the process.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Wss not aware of this, thank you.

Surely my friend would have told me this beforehand.

So, sandpaper and spray paint?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Oh, this will void your warrantee for sure. 0/10 would not recommend to a friend.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh, this will void your warrantee for sure. 0/10 would not recommend to a friend.
Just Nope!
People repaint their cars all the time and the warranty remains intact!!!
As long as you update the DMV and the leinholder of the change, you are well within your right to do so without jeopardizing a cars factory warranty.

So if he repaints his grill flat black or whatever, it will have zero affect on any pre-existing warranty.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just Nope!
People repaint their cars all the time and the warranty remains intact!!!
As long as you update the DMV and the leinholder of the change, you are well within your right to do so without jeopardizing a cars factory warranty.

So if he repaints his grill flat black or whatever, it will have zero affect on any pre-existing warranty.
But if he sent PLASTIC to a POWDER-COATER who melted the grill in the oven, that wouldn't be covered under warranty, it was clearly meant to be a JOKE that clearly went way over your head.

Wss not aware of this, thank you.

Surely my friend would have told me this beforehand.

So, sandpaper and spray paint?
If you want it to look like shit sure, but you can pick up gloss black plastic grills on Ebay for like 60-70 bucks, you will save so much down time by just swapping the grille instead of removing, sanding, spraying, second coat, clear coating and all that BS that it's worth the extra few bucks to save the time if you ask me, plus you can resell your OEM grill and get back some of that money. this also gives you a chance to alter the look of the grille as there are several grill designs available, some of which open up the airflow so you get more air moving heat away from the turbo.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But if he sent PLASTIC to a POWDER-COATER who melted the grill in the oven, that wouldn't be covered under warranty, it was clearly meant to be a JOKE that clearly went way over your head.
Clearly meant to be a joke....according to....??? You?

The statement "Oh, this will void your warrantee for sure. 0/10 would not recommend to a friend."
Sounds simply like...a statement...guess i missed the joke.:dunno:

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Matte black grilles or emblems on Honda’s make the car look cheaper imho. Gloss black looks good and classy.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you want it to look like shit sure, but you can pick up gloss black plastic grills on Ebay for like 60-70 bucks, you will save so much down time by just swapping the grille instead of removing, sanding, spraying, second coat, clear coating and all that BS that it's worth the extra few bucks to save the time if you ask me, plus you can resell your OEM grill and get back some of that money. this also gives you a chance to alter the look of the grille as there are several grill designs available, some of which open up the airflow so you get more air moving heat away from the turbo.
Yeah i did that. Hit a dear the other day and all the salvage yards wanted $200+ for the OE grille. Ebay came in clutch, they gave me a $5 off coupon, it cost me $60 flat.

But the chrome emblem i want to change. It think it would look off with 2 colors of gloss. Thats why i wanted to matte it. Idk if that would look cool.

And no, i dont want to plastidip it.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Guys, humor is nearly impossible to convey through text.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Clearly meant to be a joke....according to....??? You?

The statement "Oh, this will void your warrantee for sure. 0/10 would not recommend to a friend."
Sounds simply like...a statement...guess i missed the joke.:dunno:
Yeah me and I'm not even the original person who posted it, anyone that adds a "0/10 would not recommend to a friend." is clearly joking. While some humor may be hard to translate into text on a computer scree, this is one of those tale tale signs that the person is joking. I mean most anyone that knows about powder coating knows how it works and that you can't PC plastic parts because they won't survive.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah i did that. Hit a dear the other day and all the salvage yards wanted $200+ for the OE grille. Ebay came in clutch, they gave me a $5 off coupon, it cost me $60 flat.

But the chrome emblem i want to change. It think it would look off with 2 colors of gloss. Thats why i wanted to matte it. Idk if that would look cool.

And no, i dont want to plastidip it.
so you are talking about just gloss or flat the emblem??????? I would leave the emblem alone.
Sponsored