Getting into modding and upgrading my car.

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, I'll be completely straightforward and honest, I'm still pretty much a beginner trying to get into upgrading and learning a lot more about my 10th gen civic Si. I've had it for about 2 years now, about 20k miles on it so it's broken in quite a bit. I have pretty broad knowledge about how upgrading each parts work but nothing really in depth. Here are a few points I have off the top of my head:

1. So far, I have and am working on replacing my shifter subassembly with the Type R's and adding Acuity's stage 1 shift kit.

2. My long term goal for this car isn't milking this car's potential, just making this car a lot more enjoyable as a daily driver while maintaining high reliability. Overall, really just some bolt-ons and a tune up. Nothing fancy.

3. What would you guys say are the "entry level" upgrades for this car, like best first things to buy? I know 99% of people say hondata/ktuner, but after that, like intake/exhaust upgrades? Frontpipes downpipes? Intercooler and pipe upgrades? What isn't crazy expensive (like full new turbo kits), but will make this car noticeably a lot more enjoyable to drive and give it some small power gains?

4. Would KTuner or Hondata be more user friendly for beginners? And what are some of the pros/cons of both? I've been researching and looking through threads about it, but some of them are a few years old now and perhaps things have changed. I know there's KTuner 1.2/KTuner V2 and Hondata flashpro, and do you need a laptop to use all of them? Or can one of them be used without one and how? How exactly do tune ups work? I know there are custom tunes (which I've heard to ALWAYS avoid unless you're experienced with car tuning). But what are basemaps? And are they easy to apply?

5. Aside from asking the forums, how did you guys learn about your car better? What're your methods of research and learning?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey guys, I'll be completely straightforward and honest, I'm still pretty much a beginner trying to get into upgrading and learning a lot more about my 10th gen civic Si. I've had it for about 2 years now, about 20k miles on it so it's broken in quite a bit. I have pretty broad knowledge about how upgrading each parts work but nothing really in depth. Here are a few points I have off the top of my head:

1. So far, I have and am working on replacing my shifter subassembly with the Type R's and adding Acuity's stage 1 shift kit.

2. My long term goal for this car isn't milking this car's potential, just making this car a lot more enjoyable as a daily driver while maintaining high reliability. Overall, really just some bolt-ons and a tune up. Nothing fancy.

3. What would you guys say are the "entry level" upgrades for this car, like best first things to buy? I know 99% of people say hondata/ktuner, but after that, like intake/exhaust upgrades? Frontpipes downpipes? Intercooler and pipe upgrades? What isn't crazy expensive (like full new turbo kits), but will make this car noticeably a lot more enjoyable to drive and give it some small power gains?

4. Would KTuner or Hondata be more user friendly for beginners? And what are some of the pros/cons of both? I've been researching and looking through threads about it, but some of them are a few years old now and perhaps things have changed. I know there's KTuner 1.2/KTuner V2 and Hondata flashpro, and do you need a laptop to use all of them? Or can one of them be used without one and how? How exactly do tune ups work? I know there are custom tunes (which I've heard to ALWAYS avoid unless you're experienced with car tuning). But what are basemaps? And are they easy to apply?

5. Aside from asking the forums, how did you guys learn about your car better? What're your methods of research and learning?

Thanks all!
I am a new person too to car modifications and such, but I do know a few things. There are some wonderful YouTube Personalities out there (my favorite is Sarah-n-Tuned) that does car reviews and project cars. I say this because she is super good at showing you how and why things work the way they do (very engineering minded).

BUT 1 upgrade I can recommend that makes a huge difference is some nice quality tires or different wheels even. Cutting weight in wheels does make a difference and a good tire compared to just mediocre, imo, is absolutely worth the difference in price.

One way I am going to help myself learn this car more is I look at my areas pick and pulls and search for 10th gen civics. Sadly, and not surprisingly, none have shown up. My plan though when one is available is take my brother (he is an automotive tech) and have him teach me how to rip the car apart essentially so I can make a stock pile of parts I know I am going to want in the future.

Might want to also check in your area if there is a cars and coffee group. Great way to meet other like minded petrol heads and see what others do to their cars :) Kinda like learning art: find something you like, recreate it, and then do it with your own flavor :D

Testudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch exl
Country flag
Same here, just starting out. It happened so fast, one day I knew nothing, the next day I knew so much info like tuning, bolt ons, etc. I feel addicted now. But so far have done all cosmetic mods.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I knew nothing 6 months ago and now I’m addicted and have bought a good deal of things I have yet to install and intend on doing stage 2, with possible DP and clutch sometime next summer. In process of buying intercooler and piping and flex fuel kit as we speak. But I STIILL. Have yet to instal my CAI from Christmas. Life work kids and a new baby make it difficult. Lol but it’s a blast!

OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am a new person too to car modifications and such, but I do know a few things. There are some wonderful YouTube Personalities out there (my favorite is Sarah-n-Tuned) that does car reviews and project cars. I say this because she is super good at showing you how and why things work the way they do (very engineering minded).

BUT 1 upgrade I can recommend that makes a huge difference is some nice quality tires or different wheels even. Cutting weight in wheels does make a difference and a good tire compared to just mediocre, imo, is absolutely worth the difference in price.

One way I am going to help myself learn this car more is I look at my areas pick and pulls and search for 10th gen civics. Sadly, and not surprisingly, none have shown up. My plan though when one is available is take my brother (he is an automotive tech) and have him teach me how to rip the car apart essentially so I can make a stock pile of parts I know I am going to want in the future.

Might want to also check in your area if there is a cars and coffee group. Great way to meet other like minded petrol heads and see what others do to their cars :) Kinda like learning art: find something you like, recreate it, and then do it with your own flavor :D
Will check out some YouTubers and keep the tires in mind! Thanks!

OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good choice on that shifter I have that one !

After ktuner & an ots tune like tsp or phearable I definitely say dp and rear sway bar
Will make note of that and look into it, thanks! Also, you just so happen to be the one who answered my post on replacing my subassembly, leading me to getting the R shifter + Acuity goodies actually, haha!

Last edited:
OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same here, just starting out. It happened so fast, one day I knew nothing, the next day I knew so much info like tuning, bolt ons, etc. I feel addicted now. But so far have done all cosmetic mods.
I felt that one, all started with replacing my shifter and after that, hours of researching everyday on how to make this civic more enjoyable lol

OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keeping it to the basics on a budget:

1. Better tires
2. The Acuity shifter mods

Just doing those two things will up the fun factor.

A bigger rear sway bar is another way to improve handling relatively cheaply.

For power gains on a budget:

KTuner along with a free Phearable 1.5 or TSP 1 tune.

Honestly, for starters, that's all you need. I used the V2. No laptop needed. I've also owned a Hondata Flashpro but prefer KTuner.

In time, lighter wheels, a cold air intake and many, many other things can be added based on your goals and budget.
Looking into wheels and intake at the moment! Also, does Hondata require a laptop to use?

OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I knew nothing 6 months ago and now I’m addicted and have bought a good deal of things I have yet to install and intend on doing stage 2, with possible DP and clutch sometime next summer. In process of buying intercooler and piping and flex fuel kit as we speak. But I STIILL. Have yet to instal my CAI from Christmas. Life work kids and a new baby make it difficult. Lol but it’s a blast!
I hear you man! Once you start, you just can't stop. Good luck with you upgrading journey!

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks all!
I am relatively new as well, but some good info I've learned.
1. Good, you will love how the shifter feels.
2. Fair point. That's my goal with my FK7.
3. Ktuner first thing. Buy through Phearable and you get their free tune that simply the best tune you can buy right now OTS. After that, downpipe will provide a nice bump in HP (10-25 I've heard) and allow turbo to spool sooner, and either a stage 1 intake system (performance filter and intake hose) or 27Won intake. If you plan on doing a beefy intercooler (only would if you suffer from high IATs due to climate or if you plan on tracking the car/driving very hard constantly) then maybe a Short Ram Intake would work good and sound great. After that, I'd say do front and rear sway bars, maybe rims and good tires.
4. I've heard arguments for both, and aside from the initial setup with Ktuner I've found it very easy to understand and use.
5. Experience, working on my car. Learned a lot from YouTube and other people I've talked to concerning cars.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Thanks all!
If you value your warranty don't tune the car. If you dont mind not having one then grab a Ktuner V2 and like many said to get a phearable or tsp tune, etc... Once you're tuned though, you'll probably need a replacement clutch (this is where the headache starts). Idc what anyone says, the aftermarket clutch will not "feel like oem" or anything close and will probably chatter. From there though, just grab a e85 flex fuel kit and look down the road for a new turbo like a W1. I wouldn't mess with anything else you'll effect reliability too much.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Check out our website https://prlmotorsports.com/collections/2016-2021-honda-civic-1-5t for all your aftermarket needs. Check out some different products for your car and which ones are best suited for you since you are just trying to have a nice and fun daily. If you ever have any questions on anything feel free to shoot us an email and we will be happy to assist you in any way.

OP
OP

aphan70

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am relatively new as well, but some good info I've learned.
1. Good, you will love how the shifter feels.
2. Fair point. That's my goal with my FK7.
3. Ktuner first thing. Buy through Phearable and you get their free tune that simply the best tune you can buy right now OTS. After that, downpipe will provide a nice bump in HP (10-25 I've heard) and allow turbo to spool sooner, and either a stage 1 intake system (performance filter and intake hose) or 27Won intake. If you plan on doing a beefy intercooler (only would if you suffer from high IATs due to climate or if you plan on tracking the car/driving very hard constantly) then maybe a Short Ram Intake would work good and sound great. After that, I'd say do front and rear sway bars, maybe rims and good tires.
4. I've heard arguments for both, and aside from the initial setup with Ktuner I've found it very easy to understand and use.
5. Experience, working on my car. Learned a lot from YouTube and other people I've talked to concerning cars.
Thanks for the advice! Will for sure order KTuner soon and definitely an intake or downpipe down the road!
Sponsored