Getting cold feet after reading about infotainment issues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ZX3
I have been so close to picking up a new 2016 Civic Coupe to replace my 2001 Ford Focus, but I keep checking places like Car Complaints and Civic Problems and am getting cold feet.

There seems to be a lot of issues regarding the infotainment systems glitching out, not working, etc... And then because they stop working, the A/C stops working too.

I also have been reading about windshields on the Civics being easy to crack. And other various issues.

I'm sure going here is not going to get me an unbiased opinion, but I figured it's the only place I know where to look for any answer.

How widespread are these issues? Am I SOL if the infotainment system crashes?

Is it really worth the risk? :(
Sponsored

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
One thing to remember about the internet is that people are quick to complain when they have a problem. Conversely, people that are satisfied tend to stay quiet. For every complaint you're seeing there are likely dozens upon dozens of happy Civic owners out there.

I've personally had my EX-T for a month now and have yet to encounter a real issue.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
The early ones had more glitches than crashes. Most of these have been worked out. I pulled the trigger because Honda has the best reputation for working to actually fix issues with their cars rather than try to sweep them under the rug. Grab a '17.

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Mine has some annoying infotainment issues but not to the point that I hate the car. It's just minor annoyances. It hasn't gotten to the point that the A/C stops working or it makes the car not drivable. If it's something that really bothers you, you can wait for the Civic SI or get the 2017.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I'm pretty sure if you buy a later build now it's just like buying a 2017. They most likely stopped making the 16's and switched production to the 17's. Just check for a nice fresh one coming off the truck or only been there for a few weeks.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Yeah, like the other people said, the sites you are reading are called "car complaints" and "civic problems"... The ONLY thing you'll find there are the issues people have had. I can't find numbers right now, but I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of 2016 civics being driven worldwide. I wouldn't let a few issues posted by people on a forum dedicated to posting about issues worry you.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like everyone said, EVERYBODY goes to a forum to talk about their car. You'll even see a lot here that there are many new accounts with people who have problems. A lot of enthusiasts here know about the problems and still love their Civic. I've seen a few people with their Civics that aren't enthusiasts but your typical commuter driving from Point A to Point B, and they have never had any problems. My dad is one of those people.

Also, remember that Honda has a good warranty, and that anything you experience an issue with will get fixed eventually. All the kinks of the new models will be worked out eventually!

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I got my touring about 6 weeks ago. It still has issues, no question. The worst thing that'll happen is I'll need to reboot the system once in a while, and that takes a few seconds and can be done easily while driving.

Make no mistake, it's irritating to deal with the CarPlay issues and whatnot, but I find that everything else the car has to offer makes it more then worthwhile.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ZX3
Thank you a lot for the help, everyone :)

When do the 2017 Civic Coupes go on sale? I thought the 2016 ones literally just came out!

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you a lot for the help, everyone :)

When do the 2017 Civic Coupes go on sale? I thought the 2016 ones literally just came out!
Yeah the 2016s came out at the end of March I think. The new 2017s will probably be out in september-october. You might even be able to get a good deal on a 2016 when they roll out the 2017s since theyll want to clear them out.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ZX3
Will the 17s be around the same price as the 16s are now?

Would it be best to pick up a 16 since its issues are fixed? Or should I jump for a 17, possibly risking new issues?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Prices are usually the same, but fewer incentives at first. This won't be a facelift or redesign, so they'll probably just have the bugs worked out, mostly. You usually can't tell until after, since hindsight is 20/20!

So get a '17, or grab a deal on a later-build '16!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ZX3
Okay. This adds a new stressful choice, haha. This is a big deal getting a new car.

If I were to go used, would getting a car with a branded title be a bad idea? The dealership near me specializes exclusively in selling branded title cars, and they spin it to sound like not such a bad idea. But is it a good idea to avoid those? They are so cheap nowadays.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You take a small gamble buying a new car, but a bigger one buying used. The risk gets bigger buying one with a rebuilt or salvage title...and I'd say 'branded' would be the biggest gamble of them all, since it's been 'written off'.

There's a chance you'll never have a problem with that car...ever. On the other hand, the electrical system could go haywire the next week!

I would buy a rebuilt car, if I could find out and verify the history of it and it's rebuild. Otherwise...not worth the risk.
Sponsored