Getting an Si test drive in LA?

cyirush

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise; 1968 MGB; 2016 Nissan Leaf
New member thinking about getting an Si, but have been to two dealers and have not been able to get a test drive.

Is this normal in Los Angeles/So Cal? I did go the week it was released, but still... They both offered a test drive if I agreed to buy the car though :)
Sponsored

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey welcome! I live in So Cal and got my SI last week. The only time my father and I got to test drive the beast was when the dealer knew we were interested and we had the papers ready to purchase it. We test drove the car in the afternoon, then right after went inside to do the paperwork for the car. I had been working with the dealer for about a week and we settled for an OTD price. We didn't inquire about a test drive before hand though and they never asked. Only did on the day we bought the car.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Which dealership did you go to? Getting a test drive only after agreeing to purchase a vehicle is dumb. Especially for a cheap car like the SI. It's not a special car.

I was able to get a test drive from the same dealership that I bought my '15 SI from.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I took another test drive yesterday here in Orange County. If you're willing to make the drive, there are several dealers with the Si's in stock. You can email a few or feel free to message me and I'll float you a name. They're not being discounted yet (hence why they're still in stock).

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
I took another test drive yesterday here in Orange County. If you're willing to make the drive, there are several dealers with the Si's in stock. You can email a few or feel free to message me and I'll float you a name. They're not being discounted yet (hence why they're still in stock).

I just got back from driving one during lunch ... didn't try too hard and got a nice 4Dr to take out for 6-8miles.
I am in love and had to come back to work but now thinking of going back before it sells.

loved it.

OP
OP

cyirush

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
W
I just got back from driving one during lunch ... didn't try too hard and got a nice 4Dr to take out for 6-8miles.
I am in love and had to come back to work but now thinking of going back before it sells.

loved it.
What are they asking for it?

BigEasy026

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went to Norm Reeves in Cerritos and they let me test drive but not until the White coupe I wanted was available. I bought it on the spot.

OP
OP

cyirush

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to Norm Reeves in Cerritos and they let me test drive but not until the White coupe I wanted was available. I bought it on the spot.
Sounds like you only got the test drive b/c you agreed to buy?

BigEasy026

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you only got the test drive b/c you agreed to buy?
I stopped in about a week before the Si's were available and told them I was interested in looking at a white Si coupe. They took my name and number and called me when one came in. I test drove it without signing any agreements or contracts.

OP
OP

cyirush

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So thanks to a tip from 'Design' I was able to test drive an Si yesterday (at the dealer in Irvine near the Spectrum). The internet sales manager was great. Let me get behind the wheel for a test drive with no bs about having to buy a car (I told him there was about a 20% chance I'd buy one).

Impressions: shifter was everything I expected - precise, mechanical feel, nice short throws. A pleasure to use. The clutch was easily the lightest of any MT I've ever driven. I liked it but agree with 'Car and Driver' that the bite point is vague. I didn't like the steering much - little feel in normal, and in sport it just got heavier. Engine - lag low down, but pulled nicely above 3k. I also liked the interior - fit and finish was good and it has a nice minimalist feel (though with a cool high tech digital tach). Handling: unlike some on this forum, I am not going to comment on the handling after a 10 minute drive on city streets! The C&D review said this is the car's strong suit (.97g on the skid pad) and I see no reason to not believe them.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The route they take you on for the test drive is really good too. Nice open stretch on the transition to open it up. It was there I realized how similar the Si felt to the EX-T in acceleration until getting above 5K RPMs. Keeps pulling all the way through 6K.

The chassis is definitely the car's bright point. I almost want to say the car is overdamped in Sport mode. But it's probably because it needs a few hundred miles for the valving to wear in.

I also agree that the steering is a little numb, but expected with an electric assist. I even noticed it on the GTI (though not as much) when driving back-to-back with my MS3.
Sponsored