Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I've got FBO's and a TSP Stage 1 tune, after my first pull the stock clutch slipped, and just kept slipping after that. With that said, I purchased and FX400 and light weight flywheel kit from clutch masters. Gets installed Monday. Couple of questions. First, should I expect any lockout issues with the stock CMC or will it do for now? Second, since I've only driven a stock clutch and have been given advice that contradicts each other, figured I'd ask some people who actually have this thing or have before. I've heard that due to the light weight flywheel I will need to rev higher rpm's before letting the clutch out to avoid stalling, and I've also hear that the clutch is so strong that I shouldn't give it any gas until the clutch engages (which makes me think it would stall) I cannot afford to not break this clutch in correctly so any advice from people with experience is HIGHLY appreciated. Will be doing a review after installed and after 30 days or so.
Sponsored

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Orange County California?
What's the going labor rate for clutch install?
Thanks,

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Orange County California?
What's the going labor rate for clutch install?
Thanks,
Yes, OC in CA. My guy charged me 600 labor for the install both clutch and flywheel. Had an offer for 400 but I would have had to driver farther than I was comfortable with, with a bad clutch.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I've got FBO's and a TSP Stage 1 tune, after my first pull the stock clutch slipped, and just kept slipping after that. With that said, I purchased and FX400 and light weight flywheel kit from clutch masters. Gets installed Monday. Couple of questions. First, should I expect any lockout issues with the stock CMC or will it do for now? Second, since I've only driven a stock clutch and have been given advice that contradicts each other, figured I'd ask some people who actually have this thing or have before. I've heard that due to the light weight flywheel I will need to rev higher rpm's before letting the clutch out to avoid stalling, and I've also hear that the clutch is so strong that I shouldn't give it any gas until the clutch engages (which makes me think it would stall) I cannot afford to not break this clutch in correctly so any advice from people with experience is HIGHLY appreciated. Will be doing a review after installed and after 30 days or so.
I'll give you my personal experience with it.

I had it installed some 14k or so miles ago.
The first 500 miles the clutch would grab hard. Like chirp the wheels when taking off.
The pedal feel was also stiff.

After that first 500 or so miles the pedal feel became softer. Nowhere like stock but soft enough I can drive without my shoes on and it not be uncomfortable. And the harshness of engagement became more forgiving.

Chatter. The first 1500 or so miles it will chatter taking off in 1st and reverse. After about that many miles I can take off completely fine with no chatter.

I think some people forget this is not a full face organic clutch so the way you take off is slightly different. I hold the rpms at about 1500 when taking off. If you let the rpms drop too much you'll get chatter.

I still have the stock CMC. I have revved to 7k rpms in gear 1-4 many times and have never had any lockout issues at all.

Still no signs of any slippage. And my driving style has not changed since I had the stock clutch

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll give you my personal experience with it.

I had it installed some 14k or so miles ago.
The first 500 miles the clutch would grab hard. Like chirp the wheels when taking off.
The pedal feel was also stiff.

After that first 500 or so miles the pedal feel became softer. Nowhere like stock but soft enough I can drive without my shoes on and it not be uncomfortable. And the harshness of engagement became more forgiving.

Chatter. The first 1500 or so miles it will chatter taking off in 1st and reverse. After about that many miles I can take off completely fine with no chatter.

I think some people forget this is not a full face organic clutch so the way you take off is slightly different. I hold the rpms at about 1500 when taking off. If you let the rpms drop too much you'll get chatter.

I still have the stock CMC. I have revved to 7k rpms in gear 1-4 many times and have never had any lockout issues at all.

Still no signs of any slippage. And my driving style has not changed since I had the stock clutch
Thanks for the letting me know. I figured it's just one of those things I have to experience but wanted to know before going into it. The 500+ mile break in just means I have to keep rpm's 3K and below, is that correct?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the letting me know. I figured it's just one of those things I have to experience but wanted to know before going into it. The 500+ mile break in just means I have to keep rpm's 3K and below, is that correct?
Yeah, that's what I did. Kept it below 3500rpm, no WOT, and stayed completely out of boost for 6th gear and light acceleration in 5th

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, that's what I did. Kept it below 3500rpm, no WOT, and stayed completely out of boost for 6th gear and light acceleration in 5th
Alright, last question...I have a TSP Stage 1 tune and PRL/race MAF intake, you think I should put the stock intake back on and return the ECU back to stock since I need to baby the car for 500+ miles, or just leave the tune and drive easy?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Alright, last question...I have a TSP Stage 1 tune and PRL/race MAF intake, you think I should put the stock intake back on and return the ECU back to stock since I need to baby the car for 500+ miles, or just leave the tune and drive easy?
You should be fine to drive around with the tune on. Just gotta resist the urge to get on it lol.

TSP should have 3 maps right? You can put it on map 1 if you'd like

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
You should be fine to drive around with the tune on. Just gotta resist the urge to get on it lol.

TSP should have 3 maps right? You can put it on map 1 if you'd like
It will be very frustrating to not be able to push my car until it's ready but I know there is no other option if I want the clutch to last or even work. To the best of my knowledge, TSP Stage 1 has 3 maps for Ktuner but only Map 3 for Hondata. I could be wrong about this though. When I uploaded it, I did not see any options of different maps and I was told on here by somebody TSP only comes with the 3rd map for Hondata.
Sponsored