Germans take apart a 1.5T at 60k miles. And it's spotless?

Freak2003

First Name
Johannes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, Fiesta ST MK7
Country flag
The german article is here: https://www.autobild.de/artikel/honda-civic-1.5-vtec-100.000-kilometer-dauertest-20205097.html
Feel free to use a translator for the whole article, to summarize:

Nice car, everything fine besides from:
- AC failed at the end (was no warranty, "hole in the AC compressor")
- (beginning) rust in the cavities
- bad/hard suspension

They even started a test for the type r... but sadly they had to abort it after it was totalled (the car was parked someone else crashed into it)
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/honda-civic-type-r-dauertest-18678633.html

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
That would make for a great poster to have in the workshop.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Freak already did a summary, I just wanted to add a translation of the part with the rust (at 6:39 in the video).

The car mechanic is saying that he's not happy with the beginning of little rust corrosion on surfaces, on screw connections and also in cavities, but it's not critical yet. But how these spots will evolve and how bad it will get in the next few years is something he can't predict, but he's definitely disappointed. To be fair, some states of Germany use tons of road salt during winters.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Disappointed by the corrosion reports.
Honda improved a lot up to the 8th. gen. Civic and now it seems to have taken a step back...

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
There’s a video on YouTube of a track racing team the disassembles one of these engines at 25 or 26,000 miles after running it on the track pushing out 600 hp on it. Nothing was out of whack and it was a factory engine except for horsepower upgrades. I just finished doing an engine swap after losing a 26,000 mile engine because of a broken spark plug. The engine I bought used to replace that had 46,000 miles on it. I’m not a mechanic or expert mechanical technician so my engine swap took a little bit of time to learn and to work, but by the time it was done I had a really good understanding of what’s up front of the firewall. That being said, when I fired up the used engine other than an idiot light for check engine that had something to do with an aftermarket accessory everything is working great. I did blow off the hose leading to the intake manifold because a new hose clamp didn’t work as planned. I’m about ready to button this thing up and take it on vacation without a care in the world. Plus I put on 27won’s W1 turbo. Interesting little changes there, when it finally spoils up better have your hands on the steering wheel.

Honda Civic 10th gen Germans take apart a 1.5T at 60k miles. And it's spotless? C15E6FF9-87B7-4296-90F3-6E03CF5614EF

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Freak already did a summary, I just wanted to add a translation of the part with the rust (at 6:39 in the video).
To be fair, some states of Germany use tons of road salt during winters.
I reckon that's it right there.
Here in Ireland we don't salt the roads so much, but the UK do and the imported cars from there are noticeably more corroded than ours, despite being very close to us and being in the same climate.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Lifesabeach
What are car enthusiasts doing in the UK then? It seems that professional cavity sealing underbody protection is pretty expensive in Germany.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The title of this thread is misleading. How is it spotless when they found rust?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
@Lifesabeach
What are car enthusiasts doing in the UK then? It seems that professional cavity sealing underbody protection is pretty expensive in Germany.
Not sure to be honest. Personally I have done nothing as I plan to change it before anything is likely to show itself. Its interesting though that the UK roads get salted and in Japan its not used, JDM imports here are pretty big business and the cars that are imported have little or no rust compared to the same car here.

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
There’s a video on YouTube of a track racing team the disassembles one of these engines at 25 or 26,000 miles after running it on the track pushing out 600 hp on it. Nothing was out of whack and it was a factory engine except for horsepower upgrades. I just finished doing an engine swap after losing a 26,000 mile engine because of a broken spark plug. The engine I bought used to replace that had 46,000 miles on it. I’m not a mechanic or expert mechanical technician so my engine swap took a little bit of time to learn and to work, but by the time it was done I had a really good understanding of what’s up front of the firewall. That being said, when I fired up the used engine other than an idiot light for check engine that had something to do with an aftermarket accessory everything is working great. I did blow off the hose leading to the intake manifold because a new hose clamp didn’t work as planned. I’m about ready to button this thing up and take it on vacation without a care in the world. Plus I put on 27won’s W1 turbo. Interesting little changes there, when it finally spoils up better have your hands on the steering wheel.

C15E6FF9-87B7-4296-90F3-6E03CF5614EF.jpeg
Do you have a video link?