stevosimp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Ex
Hello everyone,

I'm considering buying a 2018 sport hatchback and realize that the stock tire size is 235/40R18. With that said, I have a set of winter tires from my existing 07 civic coupe (ex) that are 205/55R16.

First, will these fit?

Second, am I going to crash and die in the winter?

Cheers!
Sponsored

OP
OP

stevosimp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Ex
Would it be too narrow or too small of overall diameter?

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Both narrow and small in diameter. You should look aswell how old your old tires are. I would not reuse tires that are 6 years or older.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They obviously wont fit on your factory wheels. But they should be fine otherwise if you have some 16" wheels. The overall diameter is smaller on the winter tires so this will make your indicated speed read higher than the actual speed you are traveling. That said its only by 2% which is not really that big of a deal IMO. Unless you drive a lot in the winter I wouldn't worry about that 2%. It will put 2% more miles on the car also so long as you have them mounted, something to also consider. Being narrower is actually not that big of a deal for snow/winter driving.

OP
OP

stevosimp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Ex
I do a fair bit of highway driving in the winter (I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba, just above North Dakota) but I'm not too worried about an extra 2% mileage. I only drive about 140 miles per week max. I figured it was worth asking because my existing winter tires are only 2 years old and have a lot of tread on them still (plus they're studded).

Thanks guys!

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
We’d have to have a crystal ball to be able to answer the second part of your question. I’ll just say I certainly hope not! :eek:
Don’t drink or do drugs and drive. Don’t text and drive. Don’t drive when you should be sleeping. Watch out for the other guy. Always expect the unexpected and all that other good safety crap and you stand a pretty good chance of getting through next Winter alive I believe.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:
Sponsored