Generic Android Double-Din Compatibility?

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a '17 Sport Hatchback and the head unit leaves a lot to be desired. Been looking at a Joying US-JY-UL124N2. My main reason for wanting to go this route is that there's a lot of support on XDA for the devices, I can hook up a bluetooth OBDII to it and run torque pro, and it can mirror my phone screen. My job leaves me with a lot of car downtime where I could stream netflix to it. I'm basically ready to pull the trigger, but haven't been able to confirm a couple of compatibility things.

1. I can't seem to find a harness from the generic double din to the Metra wiring harness to the car. Sure, I could cut the wires from the double din and make it work, but I'm not a fan of cutting wires like that.

2. I can't find any compatibility notes regarding the backup camera. Judging by the wiring diagrams I've seen, it should be possible, just not 100% sure on it.

3. It looks like I can make steering wheel controls work by utilizing a Metra Axxess ASWC1.

I guess what I'm asking is: Has anyone tried installing one of these in a 10th gen and has some tips/feedback/information?
Sponsored

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Their site says the unit includes two wire harnesses, one that has that weird generic double DIN connector on it and the other that has bare wires. So just use the bare wire one to connect to the Metra plug. It's pictured near the bottom of this page: https://www.carjoying.com/android-5...on-1024-600-fm-am-rds-gps-navigation-mul.html

The backup camera outputs NTSC video, which the Joying unit shouldn't have any problem displaying. Using the 12v-to-6v converter that's included with the Metra kit, I think it will work.

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Their site says the unit includes two wire harnesses, one that has that weird generic double DIN connector on it and the other that has bare wires. So just use the bare wire one to connect to the Metra plug. It's pictured near the bottom of this page: https://www.carjoying.com/android-5...on-1024-600-fm-am-rds-gps-navigation-mul.html

The backup camera outputs NTSC video, which the Joying unit shouldn't have any problem displaying. Using the 12v-to-6v converter that's included with the Metra kit, I think it will work.
That's exactly the way I was thinking. I guess I'll pick up all the Metra adapters and one of these next week. I'm gonna order from Amazon though just so I have a bit better customer service in case anything goes wrong. Will document the process and post pictures when I'm done.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your results. That's an awesome looking head unit!

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your results. That's an awesome looking head unit!
Update: Parts and head unit ordered. Hope to have install completed by 1/8/16. Depends on how fast everything comes in though.

Purchased parts:
Will report back with results and pictures when done.

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got all the harnesses in and the unit installed.

Install was fairly easy, minus the hassle of running a cable to the rear tail light. Here it is installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Generic Android Double-Din Compatibility? {filename}

Forgive the crappy picture. I can try to get a better one in the daytime tomorrow.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Looks good! Did you end up needing the generic ISO adapter? Does the backup camera work? Do all your steering wheel controls work right with your ASWC-1? Why did you have to run a cable to the tail light?

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good! Did you end up needing the generic ISO adapter? Does the backup camera work? Do all your steering wheel controls work right with your ASWC-1? Why did you have to run a cable to the tail light?
I used the generic iso harness but did not have to.

Had to tap into reverse light to make reverse camera turn on at the right time. This works fine.

Steering wheel controls work with the metra device. For some reason, my skip back button doesn't. All others work fine.

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, how does it sound?
I couldn't tell much of a difference between stock TBH. Any improvement I heard may have been a placebo effect.

Next up is ordering some components for the front and some 3 ways for the back. I will probably place the order today for these.

After speakers, it's amp time. I'm looking at an Alpine PDX-V9 5-Ch amp. I want something small I can stash under the passenger seat and run a subwoofer off of later if I choose to. My gut tells me that I'll probably be happy without the woofer once stuff is amped.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Had to tap into reverse light to make reverse camera turn on at the right time. This works fine.
That's a shame you had to fight with running a wire back for that! The 7" display models have a reverse signal wire that comes into them for triggering the camera to turn on.

Tonarinojim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the generic iso harness but did not have to.

Steering wheel controls work with the metra device. For some reason, my skip back button doesn't. All others work fine.
Hi there, I'm trying to do the same thing. Wondered if you could tell me how you tapped into reverse lights, did you do it at the fuse box? I saw the backup fuse in the owners manual. hoping its that simple. Thanks for any hints.

OP
OP
spanky34

spanky34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there, I'm trying to do the same thing. Wondered if you could tell me how you tapped into reverse lights, did you do it at the fuse box? I saw the backup fuse in the owners manual. hoping its that simple. Thanks for any hints.
I literally ran a wire all the way to the drivers side tail light. Trim came up easy and had it done in 10-15 minutes.
Sponsored