General Questions about the Type R

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Yeah, the Type R is more entertaining in every category.

Sorry, the GT-R is a beast and puts down incredible numbers but consistently reviews are 'numb car' - the Type R is anything but.
I dont regret my decision at all and have ridden in a friends 600whp GTR. Not like I can afford the GTR anyways. I agree with you, it just depends on what you want.
Sponsored

srf99

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, Prev 2019 FK8
Country flag
I havent put a lot of thought into that yet (yikes.. I know) I know I would like to put as much down as possible. If I had to put a number down id say that 600 a month might be my max for monthly payments.
As far as financing, I bought my 2019 with 5,050 miles 4 months ago for $42k. $10k down and 60 months has me at $614 a month. My insurance is $10/month more than a standard Civic quote. YMMV.

After 5,000 miles of daily driving (just crossed 10k on the odometer today), I have absolutely no regrets. I switched out the 20s for some 18s (Titan7 T-S5) and much prefer them personally, but roads near me aren't great. For me, the 5% tradeoff in sharpness is well worth it for a 10% increase in comfort and less stress about potholes. I'm also running all seasons, so with summer tires, I imagine the drop in sharpness would be imperceptible to me. Only other mods on my radar are Legamax exhaust and PRL intake. Maybe a tune later on, but for now I'm really happy with stock power.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
As far as financing, I bought my 2019 with 5,050 miles 4 months ago for $42k. $10k down and 60 months has me at $614 a month. My insurance is $10/month more than a standard Civic quote. YMMV.

After 5,000 miles of daily driving (just crossed 10k on the odometer today), I have absolutely no regrets. I switched out the 20s for some 18s (Titan7 T-S5) and much prefer them personally, but roads near me aren't great. For me, the 5% tradeoff in sharpness is well worth it for a 10% increase in comfort and less stress about potholes. I'm also running all seasons, so with summer tires, I imagine the drop in sharpness would be imperceptible to me. Only other mods on my radar are Legamax exhaust and PRL intake. Maybe a tune later on, but for now I'm really happy with stock power.
im on 18s too and i find the tradeoff from sharpness is much more than 5%. but i have uhp all seasons on the 18s so mostly tire choice. the comfort is more like a 30% increase. surprising to me how different a 30 series tire is vs a 40 series tire. anecdotal of course

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
I’ve owned a 2021 and currently own a 2019. I personally don’t care for the updated Honda sensing technology in the 2020-2021 models.

That being said, I prefer the 2019 model out of the other years. As far as maintenance goes, pretty simple if you’re somewhat mechanically inclined and have the space to do it.

I had more issues with my 2021 transmission grind than I do with my current 19’. I have yet to grind any gears. (Knock on wood)

Im 6’1” 215lbs and the seats fit me fine. I have no issues being comfortable on long trips or around town. Cleaning the seats is a once a month chore for me. I invested in a steam cleaner and it works wonders.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
It sounds as though you're pretty young, so yeah...depending on your driving record...insurance could be pricey. I'm ancient, so it's not bad at all. I'm boring - the only mods are tint - windows, headlights, driving lights, and 18" wheels with better tires for the PA snow (that we are getting less and less of).

I fortunately was able to get my '21 CTR at MSRP - IF you can get one now...it won't be that cheap. I just looked at a '17 with 44k mi on it today...$38k...ouch.

If you've never driven a manual, have someone who has with you to help you out. The civic seems to be a bit more forgiving than others.

I previously had a 9th gen & a 10th gen Si. The CTR is much more fun to drive, but at a cost of half the mpg that I got with either Si. It handles very well and has great acceleration.

Personally, I'd be more worried about speeding tickets. I've learned my lesson(s) and had enough tickets to paper my walls. I don't need to impress anyone anymore. I'm sure those CA Highways are quite enticing, but the CHP always has fast cars/bikes with which to hunt you down.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I bought my CPO '18 in early 2020 with 13K miles for $ 35K - the MSRP when it was new- I was okay with the price, but still shaking my head at paying a new price for a used car. Fast forward and the car now has 29K miles on it and is easily worth $5K more than I paid a Honda dealer.
Are these cars worth the money? Yes. Will they get much cheaper? No, especially if everything is electric or hybrid.
Have I had any issues? No, except it will eat tires. Hint: Buy a tire/wheel warranty- I did and it has paid for itself already.
Like some others on this forum, I prefer the look and feel of the stock 20's. Turn in is better, and IMO they look way better than 18's. I live in the desert. If you live where there is snow, ice, etc. and horrible roads, than you may have to swap for an 18 setup. Hopefully not.
As far as interior wear, it holds up well. I like the leather steering wheel. Paint is gorgeous, but very thin on these cars.
And the seats -at least the front ones -are magic. And great rear legroom. And SUV levels of storage. Mileage is better than what Honda lists.
Insurance? Thought it would go up when I traded in the SI. It actually went down!
Since I have an '18, I don't get all the electronic nannies, or volume/ climate control knobs that were added later. Not a big deal. Rear cross traffic monitoring is the only one I would want.
Driving? Love the feel of this chassis, and the engine. And the manual is one of the best - but you need to be precise and not speed shift. I have only ground gears 2 or 3 times in almost two years. I have owned some great rear wheel drive, even mid engine cars, but the FK8 holds its own.
It will reward skill, and give you enough feedback to improve your line and timing. But will not beat you to death like some cars out there. It will be worth your time to look at some of the better You Tube videos on racing technique, especially those that cover fwd. it is one of the more stable cars at -ahem-highway speeds. 7,000 isn't the 8,500-9,000 rev limit that some Hondas of old had, but it is enough to enjoy going through the gears.
One thing to be aware of- the turning circle and low ground clearance requires some care when parking, or on right turns. Go a bit further than you think you need to before cutting the wheel - or you will curb it. And the front lip will not make it over a high curb. Word to the wise.
I do agree this is a bad time to buy a car if you don't have to. But if you feel you must- you could do a lot worse. Even for $ 40K. These days, even bad cars are expensive. So you might as well get something special. It is a reliable car, and most dealers offer longer than factory warranties.
I got an 8 years 120,000 mile Honda extended warranty because I plan on keeping it. If you get a Certified Pre Owned - CPO car you should not have any worries.
I have not done mods, so can't speak to that in detail, but agree that while it is fantastic stock - there are lots of mods you can do down the road and still have a reliable car.
Also, friends don't let friends buy salvage title cars.
Good luck on your hunt.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
My only complaint with street driving is the engine drone. Fine if the radio is on but irritating if not. OTOH, I enjoy the car immensely at the track even though it needs a few things to make that work well including 18" wheels, camber etc.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
This is the only car I've every owned--and I've owned a few--where people constantly hail me, wave to me, stop to chat with me, even linger in the driveway with their delivery truck after dropping off a package, just to comment on it and chat about it. I've had folks yell out questions at stop lights--all friendly stuff--and all in all I've found that car people (non-enthusiasts, that is, most people, couldn't care less of course) almost always notice it and say something.

You can spend a lot more money and get not only a lot less fun but also nowhere near as much interest from other enthusiasts. Whether that's your cup of tea or not is up to you, but I kinda dig it. Especially at 60, it's fun to have folks a third my age chatting to me without eye rolling! j/k

jazzer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR PMM
Country flag
The new model looks tame. I bought my 2020 new for 37,995, no complaints. The new one will be impossible to find and marked up $. My insurance is reasonable. Shifts fine. Drives great in winter with snow tires. Hauls a big drum set or takes in 15 bags of mulch with room to spare. 30 mpg to work. 28 when I get on it ? Get a certified used one.

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
The 2020-2021 do in fact come with heated mirrors, I used mine just yesterday.
Well I feel sheepish, I did not know this before. Hasnt been cold enough for me to need it down here yet. But I learn something new everyday.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I havent put a lot of thought into that yet (yikes.. I know) I know I would like to put as much down as possible. If I had to put a number down id say that 600 a month might be my max for monthly payments.
The simple math is typically its a $100/$5k borrowed on a 60mo note - and that would be with good credit. At least that is how I typically figure out how much I would be financing and then go from there. Like others have said - if you don't HAVE to buy a new car - it would be best to wait; the market is just crazy across the board; think about it - you are paying OVER MSRP for a used CTR in some cases - that is NOT normal and won't stay at those prices.

I went to CarMax recently and they had a 21 BB with 4500 miles - and they were asking for $45k before TTL. Glad I got to drive it - and I would recommend checking out a CarMax near you so you can test drive it without getting hassled about 'lets figure out the financing/etc first' that some dealers do before you have even sat in the car. My honest opinion is that the CTR is one of the best 'do it all' type of cars. Great hatch, comfortable seats and it has a backseat as well. Throw in the fact it performs well on top of it - and it's a great car. For me - I'll wait and get one on the used market - I'm sure when the new one comes out - the prices of the current gen will go down significantly.

Also - if you look at some of the reviews on Youtube for the Civic SI (the spec sheet had it 5 less bhp than the current gen) - everyone seems to be gushing over it which makes me really curious what and how the new CTR will perform against the current gen. Figured its a good thing the next gen is coming out in 2023 bc by then - the craziness of the current market should be (SHOULD BE) back to normal haha - regardless good luck with whatever you decide.

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
This is the only car I've every owned--and I've owned a few--where people constantly hail me, wave to me, stop to chat with me, even linger in the driveway with their delivery truck after dropping off a package, just to comment on it and chat about it. I've had folks yell out questions at stop lights--all friendly stuff--and all in all I've found that car people (non-enthusiasts, that is, most people, couldn't care less of course) almost always notice it and say something.

You can spend a lot more money and get not only a lot less fun but also nowhere near as much interest from other enthusiasts. Whether that's your cup of tea or not is up to you, but I kinda dig it. Especially at 60, it's fun to have folks a third my age chatting to me without eye rolling! j/k
absolutely - have the same experience here. love it
When I bought my CPO '18 in early 2020 with 13K miles for $ 35K - the MSRP when it was new- I was okay with the price, but still shaking my head at paying a new price for a used car. Fast forward and the car now has 29K miles on it and is easily worth $5K more than I paid a Honda dealer.
Are these cars worth the money? Yes. Will they get much cheaper? No, especially if everything is electric or hybrid.
Have I had any issues? No, except it will eat tires. Hint: Buy a tire/wheel warranty- I did and it has paid for itself already.
Like some others on this forum, I prefer the look and feel of the stock 20's. Turn in is better, and IMO they look way better than 18's. I live in the desert. If you live where there is snow, ice, etc. and horrible roads, than you may have to swap for an 18 setup. Hopefully not.
As far as interior wear, it holds up well. I like the leather steering wheel. Paint is gorgeous, but very thin on these cars.
And the seats -at least the front ones -are magic. And great rear legroom. And SUV levels of storage. Mileage is better than what Honda lists.
Insurance? Thought it would go up when I traded in the SI. It actually went down!
Since I have an '18, I don't get all the electronic nannies, or volume/ climate control knobs that were added later. Not a big deal. Rear cross traffic monitoring is the only one I would want.
Driving? Love the feel of this chassis, and the engine. And the manual is one of the best - but you need to be precise and not speed shift. I have only ground gears 2 or 3 times in almost two years. I have owned some great rear wheel drive, even mid engine cars, but the FK8 holds its own.
It will reward skill, and give you enough feedback to improve your line and timing. But will not beat you to death like some cars out there. It will be worth your time to look at some of the better You Tube videos on racing technique, especially those that cover fwd. it is one of the more stable cars at -ahem-highway speeds. 7,000 isn't the 8,500-9,000 rev limit that some Hondas of old had, but it is enough to enjoy going through the gears.
One thing to be aware of- the turning circle and low ground clearance requires some care when parking, or on right turns. Go a bit further than you think you need to before cutting the wheel - or you will curb it. And the front lip will not make it over a high curb. Word to the wise.
I do agree this is a bad time to buy a car if you don't have to. But if you feel you must- you could do a lot worse. Even for $ 40K. These days, even bad cars are expensive. So you might as well get something special. It is a reliable car, and most dealers offer longer than factory warranties.
I got an 8 years 120,000 mile Honda extended warranty because I plan on keeping it. If you get a Certified Pre Owned - CPO car you should not have any worries.
I have not done mods, so can't speak to that in detail, but agree that while it is fantastic stock - there are lots of mods you can do down the road and still have a reliable car.
Also, friends don't let friends buy salvage title cars.
Good luck on your hunt.
i had the same experience - my insurance went down - used to have a 2015 accord

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag

yeah, stock power is more than enough for my daily driver as well - would have gone down to 18s but have to wait a bit on budget

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Car : 2020 Black Type R.

Mods : Tomei Type D exhaust. PRL everything. Downpipe, turbo inlet pipe, intake. Tuned. Hondata. Other stuff I put on are just tints, mudguards and rain deflectors.

Love love love this car to the moon and back. I have a daily now which is used for saving costs on gas and just so I can appreciate the Type R more. It’s honestly such a treat to drive and I get compliments every time. Old, young, man or woman. They stop and stare and wonder what it is. It’s such a good feeling and I love talking about it. A topic that doesn’t get old.

I daily drove this thing for a good year and it is capable. But I know some people who garage it and or mainly track it. Which is all fine. Just shows you that it’s not a one trick pony.

Price is a little stiff right now. If you don’t need it. Don’t get it. If you can get a used one. Do so, but do your research. Would also recommend you learn on a different car with stick. Can you do it with this car. You certainly can. But if you don’t trust yourself and you know you’re a slow learner with things mechanically, don’t risk it. I’m sure you know a friend or two who drives stick.

20s aren’t too bad for me, but I am looking for 19s after this winter passes. One thing about this car is that you have a huuuuge aftermarket support.

All in all. I love this car. I know many friends of mine who want to drive it and say that I picked the right car over the STI. (See them a lot here in NJ). I love a lot of cars, but I agree. I love my car and I’m giddy every time I see it.

A1FA8467-E5FE-4825-A6DD-1CB3DFC8FC10.jpeg
your enthusiasm puts a smile on my face. You drive this car how it is meant to be driven daily and enjoyed.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
absolutely - have the same experience here. love it

i had the same experience - my insurance went down - used to have a 2015 accord
My insurance went down slightly going from a 2011 Civic Si to a 2021 CTR! I couldn't believe it!
Sponsored