General Questions about the Type R

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car rn, and have been really considering getting the Type R. However, I have a few questions about the car. How do you all like its performance, the overall feel of the car, and the way it handles? What sort of issues have you experienced with when driving the car, and what issues are expected? Have any of you experienced a clunky shift from 1st and 2nd gear?

Whats the maintenance like for the car? Hows keeping the interior and exterior clean? Are the seats, and steering wheel an issue to continuously clean? Does this car suck down oil?

What sort of mods have you put on the car (if any), is it worth the investment to get after market wheels? Ive heard and read the most people choose to get 18" and ditch the 20", what was the drive like after you made the switch (if you did)? Is this car worth modding?

Hows the price of the car, is it worth it? As of now most used models that i've seen are going for high 30k-mid 40k, most prices for after market are well above MSRP, is it worth t it, or should I get a new TYPE R?Also the Type R's that I have seen have anywhere from 1k- 50k miles, should I get one that has more miles to save money, or should I opt towards a less driven one? Do any of you expect the price to drop after the chip shortage sorts itself out, or after next gen model is announced/ released?

Whats the insurance like? Due to the type of car, and my age I think that I will be paying an arm and a leg for insurance, that on top of any payments that I may be making might make this a very very expensive car. Is it worth it?

Hows the transmission for someone whos never owned a manual before? Is it more forgiving than most manuals? Is it easy to pick up? Most of what ive read, heard, and seen from videos and other forums owners say its very smooth, and easier to drive then some other manuals.

In short, im mostly concerned with the steep price tag right now. Its one of the biggest deterrents thats making me a little hesitant for this car. I am also worried about the manual transmission, I have some experience driving one, but never driven one extensively. I mostly need to get that actual action of up and down shifting.

Thanks for any help, advice, and tips that you can give me!
maintenance on this car is just like any other civic. only thing really different is you will be at the gas station filling up more often than a regular civic.
interior/exterior is not an issue and i haven not noticed any loss of oil during changes.

i have put a lot of mods but mods are up to you and what you want to do. Do you need mods? no you dont. Wheels are also dependent on your roads. Tons of people are fine with their 20s, tons of people have also bent wheels. I downsized because i wanted better tire sizing and not want to worry about bends in the event it happens.

insurance was not a whole lot different than a regular civic tbh. No point given you my cost as its going to vary by company, location, miles driven, age, coverage, etc.

whether the car is worth the money is ultimately up to you. Noone can really answer that question.

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Just a slight correction, the US 20/21 models did not come with heated mirrors. They came with turn signals in the mirrors only.

Personally, if i didnt own the FK8 now, Id rather pick up the new Type R unless you really have your heart set on the current body style. Id set a budget and stick with it. Like everyone has said ,its whatever you are willing to pay.

I dont plan to part with mine unless the new model completely blows the fk8 out of the water. Im still unsure on the looks of the 2023 Type R but thats subjective and we shall see when it officially comes out.

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a slight correction, the US 20/21 models did not come with heated mirrors. They came with turn signals in the mirrors only.

Personally, if i didnt own the FK8 now, Id rather pick up the new Type R unless you really have your heart set on the current body style. Id set a budget and stick with it. Like everyone has said ,its whatever you are willing to pay.

I dont plan to part with mine unless the new model completely blows the fk8 out of the water. Im still unsure on the looks of the 2023 Type R but thats subjective and we shall see when it officially comes out.
The 2020-2021 do in fact come with heated mirrors, I used mine just yesterday.

To answer OP; price is going to be relative but I'd argue that even with some mark up the FK8 is a steal. I absolutely adore mine because it checks so many boxes. It's a blast to drive, reliable and stunningly practical. I helped a buddy of mine pick up a car hood the other day in my FK8, which is just cool to be able to do in a 300hp "Civic".

The FK8 is incredibly forgiving and confidence inspiring. It's a car you could learn manual for sure. It's also a car that it would take a skilled driver to really wring out all that it's got to give from a performance perspective, it's just got so much to give. I could gush about this car for days, I really don't have any complaints that are outside of preference or being nit-picky.

I'm with others in this thread though; it may be wise to wait and see what the 11th gen is going to be like. I'm definitely not interested, but it's undoubtedly going to be a slightly better car from a technical perspective. With that said, styling is a big thing for a lot of people and there is a stark difference between the two models.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Look at the icon on your rear defroster button... there's also a heated side mirror pic. ?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
There is no support for this car/or Vehicles right now is a bad time to buy a car. Parts on back order, very little to no support on parts.

I would wait until the 2023 model that is currently being tested right now.

OP
OP

nalan9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Country flag
What’s your budget?
I havent put a lot of thought into that yet (yikes.. I know) I know I would like to put as much down as possible. If I had to put a number down id say that 600 a month might be my max for monthly payments.

OP
OP

nalan9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Country flag

Right, for the price of the 2023 Type R it might be more worth it waiting till that one comes out, however we will have to wait for the test runs, and specs to see if it'll be better. If I do wait that'll give me much more time to save, and come up with a budget for the car. But idk if I want to wait a year for the 2023.

OP
OP

nalan9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Country flag
There is no support for this car/or Vehicles right now is a bad time to buy a car. Parts on back order, very little to no support on parts.

I would wait until the 2023 model that is currently being tested right now.
Is there a time frame for when/ if support for the vehicle will be operational again? Didn't they disscontinue this model all together?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
But idk if I want to wait a year for the 2023.
waiting a year assuming you will be able to find one right away for a decent price. if its anything like how it was when the 10th gen CTR first came out in 2017 along with how the market and shortages are currently, i believe you are gonna have to be lucky and search all over the nation to try to get one that is decently priced.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
waiting a year assuming you will be able to find one right away for a decent price. if its anything like how it was when the 10th gen CTR first came out in 2017 along with how the market and shortages are currently, i believe you are gonna have to be lucky and search all over the nation to try to get one that is decently priced.
This.. plus the price of the Si went up a bit.. I'd expect the same for the Type R and then expect markup until the cars are plentiful or you find that dealer that wont charge you markup.

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Car : 2020 Black Type R.

Mods : Tomei Type D exhaust. PRL everything. Downpipe, turbo inlet pipe, intake. Tuned. Hondata. Other stuff I put on are just tints, mudguards and rain deflectors.

Love love love this car to the moon and back. I have a daily now which is used for saving costs on gas and just so I can appreciate the Type R more. It’s honestly such a treat to drive and I get compliments every time. Old, young, man or woman. They stop and stare and wonder what it is. It’s such a good feeling and I love talking about it. A topic that doesn’t get old.

I daily drove this thing for a good year and it is capable. But I know some people who garage it and or mainly track it. Which is all fine. Just shows you that it’s not a one trick pony.

Price is a little stiff right now. If you don’t need it. Don’t get it. If you can get a used one. Do so, but do your research. Would also recommend you learn on a different car with stick. Can you do it with this car. You certainly can. But if you don’t trust yourself and you know you’re a slow learner with things mechanically, don’t risk it. I’m sure you know a friend or two who drives stick.

20s aren’t too bad for me, but I am looking for 19s after this winter passes. One thing about this car is that you have a huuuuge aftermarket support.

All in all. I love this car. I know many friends of mine who want to drive it and say that I picked the right car over the STI. (See them a lot here in NJ). I love a lot of cars, but I agree. I love my car and I’m giddy every time I see it.

Honda Civic 10th gen General Questions about the Type R A1FA8467-E5FE-4825-A6DD-1CB3DFC8FC10

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
LMFAO the GT-R and Civic arent comparable at all.
Yeah, the Type R is more entertaining in every category.

Sorry, the GT-R is a beast and puts down incredible numbers but consistently reviews are 'numb car' - the Type R is anything but.
Sponsored