General question

J4Berg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Agean Blue
Country flag
So I've been test driving different cars and finally decided on a civic touring. I got to my area Honda dealer and after a little back and fourth we get the deal done. This was on a Monday and I leave one of two cars in trading in at the dealership. They tell me everything will be here and ready on Thursday. I was having a couple extras installed as well.

Anyways I get a call late afternoon Wednesday. I didn't get to answer because I was at work. It was the dealership saying the car they had for me was spoken for already and they had no other Agean Blue touring son the ground in the area and that one was being build this weekend in Indiana. It would be finished the 30th I believe and then shipped to them. They estimated its arrival in at least two weeks.

So my question is should I go back to them and ask them to take a little extra off the price or maybe throw in a couple accessories for the trouble? Thanks for any responses. - J
Sponsored

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So I've been test driving different cars and finally decided on a civic touring. I got to my area Honda dealer and after a little back and fourth we get the deal done. This was on a Monday and I leave one of two cars in trading in at the dealership. They tell me everything will be here and ready on Thursday. I was having a couple extras installed as well.

Anyways I get a call late afternoon Wednesday. I didn't get to answer because I was at work. It was the dealership saying the car they had for me was spoken for already and they had no other Agean Blue touring son the ground in the area and that one was being build this weekend in Indiana. It would be finished the 30th I believe and then shipped to them. They estimated its arrival in at least two weeks.

So my question is should I go back to them and ask them to take a little extra off the price or maybe throw in a couple accessories for the trouble? Thanks for any responses. - J
I would. Your inconvenience was caused by their mistake.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would. Your inconvenience was caused by their mistake.
Or even take it a step further and tell them you want to take your business elsewhere. Then they'll get scrambling.

Last time someone did that to me at a dealership (about a year ago), I drove back to the dealership (2 hours one way) to get my deposit back (they thought I wouldn't and called my bluff), and I walked away with my $1,000 deposit in my pocket, ripped the Bill of Sale, while they tried to stop me. Few days later, I got a spoiler thrown in, extra $1,200 off the sticker price, and I walked away with a better deal than before. They also compensated me for my wasted time. That was for my 2013 Accord (which I traded for the Civic I have now).

So, just the simple threat of calling off the sale can spark some panic in them, and that'll be a decent way to get some incentives.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Really guys? You people couldn't possibly wait two weeks for a factory allocation knowing it's built recently and hasnt been sitting and think you should have something thrown in or an extra discount just because they found out they couldn't do a dealer trade or the prior unit was sold?.... Wow

Besides it's not like you had the delivery by the end of the week written in a contract or anything. If you made a slight mistake and the dealer asked you for another $200 processing fee let's say would you give it to them? Probably not.

I wrote in another thread before that Americans are spoiled by same day delivery and the expectation of having your car quickly and all that. This is a good example of it.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Really guys? You people couldn't possibly wait two weeks for a factory allocation knowing it's built recently and hasnt been sitting and think you should have something thrown in or an extra discount just because they found out they couldn't do a dealer trade or the prior unit was sold?.... Wow

Besides it's not like you had the delivery by the end of the week written in a contract or anything. If you made a slight mistake and the dealer asked you for another $200 processing fee let's say would you give it to them? Probably not.

I wrote in another thread before that Americans are spoiled by same day delivery and the expectation of having your car quickly and all that. This is a good example of it.
This sounds different. This dealer sold a car they did not actually have, all the while telling (and showing) OP that the car was on the lot. Yeah, I'd be upset also.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This sounds different. This dealer sold a car they did not actually have, all the while telling (and showing) OP that the car was on the lot. Yeah, I'd be upset also.
Exactly. That's how it played out in my scenario as well. In both cases, customers have every right to be upset. It's not the amount of time that they take to get you the car, it's the isleading actions that lead up to it. If they told me in the beginning it would be two weeks, I might have been okay with it. Whereas, this scenario, he was promised something that wasn't actually available, and then was told to wait another two weeks right before the scheduled delivery. Yeah, I'd be mad too, especially if I had to take time off work.

A lot of dealerships offer same day delivery to keep from people finding a better offer and to stay on top of competition. Nothing new IMO.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Well... Did they actually "promise" you or did they just say something that didnt happen?

Spot deliveries pretty much only happen in the US.

If you were out of transportation I'd ask for a loaner first to cover the weeks you dont have a car for

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... Did they actually "promise" you or did they just say something that didnt happen?

Spot deliveries pretty much only happen in the US.

If you were out of transportation I'd ask for a loaner first to cover the weeks you dont have a car for
In my scenario, they did, and I confirmed it twice over the phone with the sales manager and my salesperson, and I had it in writing, because I had to use a sick day at work to pick the car up. I was about an hour into my trip (day of delivery), and they called me to tell me they need another week. That's why I went the route I did, because I lost $200 off my paycheque for a day lost at work (which would have been fine if everything went smooth, but they wanted to reschedule for a day where I was working again, and I couldn't afford to lose another shift at the time). In my case, I feel I was justified in asking.

As for his case, I guess it depends if the contract says it's on that particular date, or if it was just verbally agreed on. Who knows.

OP
OP
J4Berg

J4Berg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Agean Blue
Country flag
Well you can call this case closed I just recieved a phone call on my lunch at work. The car will be delivered and off the truck tomorrow. Apparently it arrived earlier than expected so I will be picking it up on Monday. He even said they were gonna knock a little bit more off for the inconvenience. So the matter resolved itself. Thanks for the input gentleman.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Congrats! All's well that ends well. Enjoy your weekend of anticipation, while reading through the forum!

*one of us* :)

losjackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Well you can call this case closed I just recieved a phone call on my lunch at work. The car will be delivered and off the truck tomorrow. Apparently it arrived earlier than expected so I will be picking it up on Monday. He even said they were gonna knock a little bit more off for the inconvenience. So the matter resolved itself. Thanks for the input gentleman.
It wouldn't have hurt to ask, especially since you can bring up lost wages, and having dropped off one of your vehicles already. Real financial implications there.

Flying off the handle just didn't seem warranted, threatening to go elsewhere. It may work, but it may also be "wow, this customer is crazy" and you walk out with still no prospects for a car.
Sponsored