General G-MAX AS-05 - Initial impression

Phill2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T / 2015 Honda Fit EX
Country flag
I've been lurking on here trying to decide about replacement tires for my 2016 EX-T sedan. Finally landed on the General G-MAX AS-05 UHP tire to replace the stock Firestones and had them installed today at a local shop called Jack Williams. They did a good job - very friendly, they have a shuttle and didn't do any upselling.

My initial impression after taking the car for a drive is positive. Handling and ride comfort are vastly improved. The car feels more planted, both in turns and in a straight line. It's anecdotal at this point but I didn't notice a hit to gas mileage, which surprised me since the tires are stickier and aren't tagged as low rolling resistance. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

The only negative so far is that they don't seem to be any quieter than the Firestones. Maybe it will get better as they break in, but I'm starting to agree with another post that said the road noise has more to do with the Civic's lack of sound deadening than the tires.

I was torn between a few different A/S tires - Pirelli P7, Michelin Premier and General Altimax RT43. I don't put on a lot of miles so I wasn't concerned with the difference in warranty. In the end it came down to the price for a really good tire. The AS-05s were $450 installed plus tax, which comes out to $380 after the $70 rebate they're running. That's about $100 less than the next cheapest option and about $50 cheaper than tirerack. I'll take it! The OTD price after the rebate (tires, install, alignment & PA tax) was $475.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm looking at Generals, now. What's your impression since the initial install?

K1utch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic EX-T Manual Coupe, 94 Civic Si HatchBack
Country flag
I actually also have general gmax AS-05. I quite like them. Leaps and bounds better than the stock tires for me 17 EX-T. I can still chirp them if I try with a +6psi hondata tune, but they're solid for normal and spirited driving, and so far, Excellent in water as well. I needed tired that j could have some fun in, but still be a good driving tire since I sometimes have to drive for work. So far, these tires have met and beaten every expectation I've had for them.

Edit: I have had my AS-05 for about 2 months.

OP
OP

Phill2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with K1utch. It's a great tire and much better than the stock 17s. I'm really glad that I found them. It's a great tire for the 1.5T. Good performance handling and ride comfort. Great dry and wet traction. You can really throw the car into corners and I have yet to lose traction even when I think I push it a little too far. And the price is great.

I didn't notice any drop off in gas mileage compared to the stock tires, which surprised me. They are a bit noisier than I'd like, but not as bad as the Firestones and I'll trade a little noise for a better ride any day. Let me know if you go with them.

I'll add a few qualifiers. The tires haven't seen snow yet so I can't rate winter performance. I drive mainly back roads and in the city so I don't have much experience with highway driving. It seems like they would be good. They also may not be the best choice if you put a lot of miles on since the warranty is only 50,000. That's like 6 years of driving for me so if I get that much out of them I'll be happy.

Last edited:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with K1utch. It's a great tire and much better than the stock 17s. I'm really glad that I found them. It's a great tire for the 1.5T. Good performance handling and ride comfort. Great dry and wet traction. You can really throw the car into corners and I have yet to lose traction even when I think I push it a little too far. And the price is great.

I didn't notice any drop off in gas mileage compared to the stock tires, which surprised me. They are a bit noisier than I'd like, but not as bad as the Firestones and I'll trade a little noise for a better ride any day. Let me know if you go with them.

I'll add a few qualifiers. The tires haven't seen snow yet so I can't rate winter performance. I drive mainly back roads and in the city so I don't have much experience with highway driving. It seems like they would be good. They also may not be the best choice if you put a lot of miles on since the warranty is only 50,000. That's like 6 years of driving for me so if I get that much out of them I'll be happy.
Thanks Phill2000. Yeah, since I live in South-Central Texas, I won't worry too much about grip on ice or snow. I do like the fact you mentioned good grip yet nice ride.

When you say a little noise, it is on all surfaces or mostly coarse roads?

I haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase yet but the Generals are definitely near the top of my options.

OP
OP

Phill2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks Phill2000. Yeah, since I live in South-Central Texas, I won't worry too much about grip on ice or snow. I do like the fact you mentioned good grip yet nice ride.

When you say a little noise, it is on all surfaces or mostly coarse roads?

I haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase yet but the Generals are definitely near the top of my options.
It is louder on coarse surfaces. On smooth roads it's like a hum, which to me sounds like the tread gripping the surface of the road. I just put the General Altimax RT43 on my wife's Fit and they are definitely quieter, probably because they are a standard all weather tire. So I think that the tire noise on the AS-05 is a trade off for better handling.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're dope tires

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Anyone know if it's worth having a set of GMAX RS's for summer (along with a second set of winter tires) over just one set of GMAX AS-05's for both summer and winter? I have a 2.0l LX so it's not like I'll be tearing it up at a track or anything, but I am up in the air if I should just get these AS-05's for all year or will I really benefit from both a summer and winter set (In VA so it snows but not like too bad). Thanks

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I installed my General Gmax AS-05 on my 18 Civic SI today, tires do drive nice, I previously had the factory Goodyear All season, the only thing I miss about my Goodyears is the protective lip for the rims that they had which the Gmax AS-05 don't seem to have.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
had them on my hatch for about 12oo miles, maybe louder than the hankooks, they are 225 45 18, will go on the si after the first road trip this month. a 26" tire makes the reg 1.5 a little heavy. the short time on the si i couldn't tell

Yeet-n-Duner

First Name
j0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hb ex
Country flag
short answer... these tires are sort of bang for the bucks.

top 5 ratings out of 20+
wont be the quietest... wont be the stickiest
but for the price. can't go wrong.

... i recently recommended these set of tires to a friend of mine.
he was satisfied for the price.

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Can anyone post an update on experience with these tires? Just wondering how they wear and what they are like after several thousand miles.

datboostedFK7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im looking to get those once i get my aftermarket wheels i rocked hankook's when i had my 8th gen good tire but one rear tire would lose air i have lauffen's which is owned by hankook on my sport hatch currently not great either a month into having the car I already replaced a tire due to a bubble in the tire

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
I like them better than the summer Tires that came with my Si. Better grip, less tire spin on take off.
How many miles on your tires?
Sponsored