"Geiger Counter" Sound on driver's side floorboard area?

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Not sure if this has been happening for a while and I just now noticed it or if this is something new. When I'm slowing down to a stop or am stopped, I can often hear this random clicking sound that seems to be originating from somewhere in the steering column or floorboard area. Any idea what the heck this could be? Here's a video of the sound:

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any ideas what this sound is? You hear it briefly at the start of the video, but it really starts in around 0:20. This was on the way to work yesterday. Didn't notice it on the way home. Like I said, it's random.

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
Does this happen when turning the wheel? At certain speeds before slowing down?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does this happen when turning the wheel? At certain speeds before slowing down?
It happens regardless of whether I'm turning the wheel or not and also happens when I'm completely stopped OR moving. Doesn't seem to matter what speed.

Wow, I just noticed my video is no longer working. I don't remember deleting it from YouTube ?‍♂ Guess I'll have to make a new one next time it makes this noise. sigh....

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, guys, I've updated the original video that I somehow managed to delete from YouTube. Here is the new one. You can hear it throughout the video, but especially around 0:18

I'm having trouble with a similar sound, someone knows what it might be
Yikes! As you can tell from my video above, mine is of a totally different nature and doesn't sound nearly as severe of an issue as whatever that is making that ruckus on yours o_O

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, guys, it's getting worse. Listen to this!

Crazy! The sound seems to be coming from underneath the steering wheel area / near the pedals. Happens when in motion and also when stopped. Seems worse when slowing/stopping, but that may just be because it's easier to hear with no road noise.

Car's performance is flawless, but this sound is about to drive me insane!

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Inspect your axles
I have no experience with that type of thing, and this sound is clearly coming from the inside, so I'm not sure how it could be related to my front axle. Plus it happens even when not in motion.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
My bad, I didn't see that you said it occurs while you're stopped. Yeah, that's kind of weird

Could one of your fans, or your blower motor have an obstruction like a leaf? When's the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My bad, I didn't see that you said it occurs while you're stopped. Yeah, that's kind of weird

Could one of your fans, or your blower motor have an obstruction like a leaf? When's the last time you changed the cabin air filter?
No problem. I bought the car used in January of this year and changed the cabin air filter within the first month and also at the end of April (because we had pollen like crazy).

It does sound like it could be possibly related to a blower, so I'm going to try shutting the air off next time and see if that stops it. I also read somewhere else on this forum that another member had this sort of sound (though he didn't post audio) and it ended up being the telescopic lock on his steering wheel being loose. I'll check that too in the morning.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, I read on another thread on this forum that someone had a similar sound and it ended up being their steering column adjustment lever was loose or something. Well, I released mine, moved the steering wheel through the full range of motion, and then locked it back in place in the full in/up position where it was to begin with. That was yesterday AM. Drove the car for a couple miles and it make no noise (remember, Sunday it was all day making that "Geiger counter" clicking noise). So I was optimistic. Drove it 18 miles to work today - no noise. Drove it another 18 miles home, and about 3/4 of the way home, the noise started again ?

While the noise was happening, I released the steering wheel adjustment lever again and moved the steering wheel all around, but it made no difference. Then I tried turning the AC blower off completely to see if it might be connected to that. Didn't stop the noise. But now I've discovered something else. When I turned the blower off, the car starts to vibrate - not violently, but enough where I felt uncomfortable in my seat. As soon as I turned the blower back on, the vibration goes away. It also goes away if I shift to neutral or start moving. I've read online where some people claim this is normal, but that doesn't seem right.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you under warranty still?
I'm pretty sure. The thing is, the sound has basically disappeared again (haven't heard it in almost 6 days now), though I'm sure I'll hear it again eventually. I'd hate to waste time arranging to take the car in, get alternate transportation, only for them to come back with "technician unable to reproduce the issue" ? Been through this before with my former 2004 Ford Ranger (had a whining noise at certain RPMs after my mechanic replaced the IAC and starter, and also had occasional, super long crank times to start) . . . had them examine it over and over and they're just like, "meh - can't reproduce it" (even though I sent them videos of the long cranks). And this is one of the top-rated shops in town.

The vibration thing is also inconsistent, but apparently considered normal? Any thoughts on that? People say the lower RPMs resulting from turning the blower off induces the slight vibration. Again, it's not a violent shaking or anything, but definitely noticeable. I just went out and tried to make it happen again, but the RPMs didn't seem to drop as much when I turned the blower off, so I felt no vibration (yes, the car had already warmed up and dropped to it's normal idle speed before I tried).
Sponsored