Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
Just got a 2021 bb type r, I love the shit out this car, and had for a over a week now. So I’m leaving. My garage and rev up to about 4500 to 5000 and shift into 2nd gear and when doing that it like made a afoul noise like crunching or like rattling so I put it in neutral and pull over. Not sure why it did that, I’m very new to how Honda’s work & their gearbox’s. I have read about the past fk8 issues.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Gear grinds are common on FK8s. Some recommendations are swapping the transmission fluid, adjusting the clutch master cylinder, or deleting the slave clutch delay valve.

It’ll happen to most people sooner or later and rarely goes away completely. Just make sure you’re never lazy with pushing the clutch pedal in.

It happens to me, but fairly rarely. Just get into neutral and go back into gear.

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
Gear grinds are common on FK8s. Some recommendations are swapping the transmission fluid, adjusting the clutch master cylinder, or deleting the slave clutch delay valve.

It’ll happen to most people sooner or later and rarely goes away completely. Just make sure you’re never lazy with pushing the clutch pedal in.

It happens to me, but fairly rarely. Just get into neutral and go back into gear.
Could that do damage to the clutch or the tranny?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Could that do damage to the clutch or the tranny?
It probably causes some minor long term damage depending on how hard it grinds and if you rev it out while it’s grinding, but I’ve yet to hear of a full transmission failure that wasn’t on the track. The clutch itself won’t be damaged but the teeth of the gears are. What you’re hearing is the gears clacking against eachother because they didn’t mesh properly.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i will say it does not like to be shifted with soft paws. have to be shifting with some momentum.

i have not experienced grinding though

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
i had gear grind once in mine but it was my fault ,never ever had anymore since .

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
i had gear grind once in mine but it was my fault ,never ever had anymore since .
It’s happened like twice now. Yeah I was softly shifting. Not sure if this will cause damage.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s happened like twice now. Yeah I was softly shifting. Not sure if this will cause damage.
if it’s already doing it best thing to do, sadly, is start taking it to the dealership for it. They’ll just tell you that you suck at driving and they can’t replicate it. Make sure they document it though.
That’s all I can suggest.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
i will say it does not like to be shifted with soft paws. have to be shifting with some momentum.

i have not experienced grinding though
You have to be deliberate and strong with your shifts, but you also can't go crazy fast and bang gears. Timing is kind of finicky with the Type R; you can't force anything.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
First to second I usually do at much lower RPM than 4500-5000. First is for me just a way to get to second. I shift at 2-3k max usually from a start. The car has no real low gear grunt despite its torque. You kind of have to get it into 3rd to really benefit from the higher revs, at least that's what I've found.
Sponsored