Gear Lockouts/Lockups

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried doing a quick search and didn't see anyone else having this problem so thought I'd start a new thread.

I'm experiencing some weird gearbox issues. They are intermittent and hard to replicate, so I'm hesitant to take it in to the dealer for the dreaded "unable to replicate issue" determination. I want to preface this with I am meticulous about ensuring the clutch pedal is fully depressed before shifting.

What I'm experiencing is, usually and most often the car is very difficult to shift into reverse. I feel like I really have to force the shift lever down into the reverse position. Moreso than any other gear. I'm not sure if this is normal operation since you don't want people confusing 6th and reverse.

Anyway, on top of the difficulty shifting into reverse, sometimes when shifting out of reverse I get a complete gearbox lockup. The lever gets stuck at the top of the reverse gate and doesn't move until I give it some significant "jimmying".

This has happened once when shifting from first to second as well, experiencing a complete gearbox lockup.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not I. I have about 500 miles on mine. How many miles are on yours?

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a little over 1300 miles on mine. I wanted to say I started experiencing the issues around the 1100 mile mark.

werdna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
I've the same experience, I've got a heavier shift knob and now I don't encounter this as much. For shifting to reverse, try shifting it in a gear and then to reverse. It's usually smoother that way from my experience. (I usually shift to 3rd before putting it in reverse, to avoid that resistant feel)

StapledPaper

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe 10th Gen.
Country flag
I’m getting the same issue sometimes I’m at 10k miles. This is my first manual so I didn’t think much about it just figured it was operator error. I haven’t taken it to the dealer for this specific issue because as you said it’s hard to replicate (happens maybe once a week to me). I’ve been back to the dealer 2-3 times for regular mantainence and they haven’t said anything about it either.

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've the same experience, I've got a heavier shift knob and now I don't encounter this as much. For shifting to reverse, try shifting it in a gear and then to reverse. It's usually smoother that way from my experience. (I usually shift to 3rd before putting it in reverse, to avoid that resistant feel)
Been wanting to throw in an aftermarket shift knob but I haven't been able to find a nice all leather shift knob. What I've been doing is every time I start the car, after letting it warm up a bit I depress the clutch and move the shift lever into each gear position. I'll try what you suggested for just regular driving around, thanks!

I’m getting the same issue sometimes I’m at 10k miles. This is my first manual so I didn’t think much about it just figured it was operator error. I haven’t taken it to the dealer for this specific issue because as you said it’s hard to replicate (happens maybe once a week to me). I’ve been back to the dealer 2-3 times for regular mantainence and they haven’t said anything about it either.
Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing the issue. I had also assumed it was operator error. Hasn't caused too many problems so far for me yet, but I am a little concerned about the potential for lockups while driving.

squlnt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure if it's related, but I'm around 8.3k miles and every now and then, the transmission just refuses to go in to first from neutral. I've been able to get it in to first if I go from neutral > second > first when that happens.

It's happened from a stoplight before which is problematic.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if it's related, but I'm around 8.3k miles and every now and then, the transmission just refuses to go in to first from neutral. I've been able to get it in to first if I go from neutral > second > first when that happens.

It's happened from a stoplight before which is problematic.
I actually had trouble getting it into first from neutral at a stoplight this AM. It took three or four tries to get it to work. First time it has happened and didn't happen again during the drive. But it was a bit disconcerting.

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious if the cold weather has anything to do with it.

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Mine acts up a decent amount, it definitely happens more when it's cold out then when the weather is warm. Which is weird if you ask me considering this isn't my first manual car and climate never played a part. I get the coming out of second gear into neutral lock up, but not the reverse one. For mine second and third are the problem gears. I even tried using my favorite weighted shift knob from my previous si and it made my shifter incredibly worse.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
i usually shift up to 3rd then reverse. it can definitely be difficult sometimes if i don't

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda MTF is super thin. Very cold weather can make shifts a bit harder, though I figure at least in the USA, the coldest part is behind us. It tends to perform pretty well in the cold compared to some others. It does tend to perform even better a few minutes into operation once it gets some heat in it. That being said, I don't think holds up well. Inside 3 years and 30k miles, my 9th gen was exhibiting notchier shifts that required more effort, though it was pretty butter smooth for the first couple years.

MTF gear oil is a funny thing. Apparently there's no periodicity requirement for changing it. I know it came up in another recent thread. If you're unhappy with how it's performing, change it. I'm not an Amsoil guy, but I have used it and it performed better than a few others I cycled through my RSX. It may seem soon (and I'll agree it is)... but of all the fluids in your car... oil, coolant, brake, clutch... I'd say it's the one you can really *feel* when it's performing good vs underperforming (unless you track your car and boil your brake fluid off... which would be rather disheartening).

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Reverse has always been challenging but not concerning. I have however been locked out of first twice. The first time I was fighting it at a stop light, thought it finally went in but it was 3rd and I killed it. Second time I remembered my WRX days and went to 2nd then 1st and that worked. Annoying and random.

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've scheduled an appointment with my local dealer for Monday. I have to take the car in anyway to get another keyfob, so I figured I'd bring it up with them then. I'll update with what they say. I don't imagine they'll be able to do anything, but I guess we'll see.

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the late update. Dealer's official findings "unable to replicate" and "please instruct customer to depress clutch pedal completely before shifting."

Unofficially the sales service person told me he had jumped in one of the Si's on the lot and had not been unable to duplicate it there, but had been able to duplicate it in my car. He said that he was able to prevent it by not applying any sideways pressure when shifting out of a gear. If he began to try and apply sideways pressure when shifting out of reverse (toward the center of the gearbox) he got a lockup.

So I had my car in on Monday to get another key cut and programmed, and after I got back in the car there was a HUGE difference in shifter feel. Like day and night difference. The shifter feel was notably worse shifting into every gear. I immediately had increased difficulty sliding the lever into each gear position. It was as if the lever would "catch" on each gate, requiring significant force in order to shift into gear.

I called Honda and made another appointment to get this looked at. The earliest available appointment they have that fits my schedule is two weeks out, so I get to live with this for the next two weeks.

I'm not saying the service techs did anything detrimental to the car, but if I didn't know any better it almost feels like someone had tried to row through the gearbox without depressing the clutch.
Sponsored