Gear Grind continues ... tried everything. What to do next?

OP
OP
blayed

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this great data.

I think they might have improvised on the viscosity. IIRC, Honda MTF is 75W-80 , which has a viscosity range 8.5 to 11 .
Fair enough, but the point still stands that my amsoil was .5 less than that! and the oem is too watery to begin with!
Sponsored

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Fair enough, but the point still stands that my amsoil was .5 less than that! and the oem is too watery to begin with!
The numbers (8.5 to 11) I provided are for newer revisions of SAE J306. It's kind of a dumpster fire with that specification.
1st edition: 8.02 to 11
2nd edition: 7 to 11

Thicker isn't necessarily better, it can slow down the synchros. A very important part for gear oil is the additive pack.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I wanted to give a final update with some interesting findings.

I replaced the transmission fluid to GM synchromesh and added the hasport RMM. Wow! What a world of difference. I went from daily grinding to not having one the month since. During the process I took a sample of my amsoil MTF and sent it to blackstone.

What I found is that my viscosity was LESS than the normal range for the OEM fluid! Even though Amsoil claims it is much higher, either I got a bad batch or in 10k miles it became less viscous. Blackstone doesnt see any oxidation or wear so most likely it is a bad batch. See attachment. For reference:

For kinematic viscosity at 100C:
OEM range (from blackstone): 9.9-15.3
Amsoil (Claimed): 10.1
Amsoil (actual, after 10k miles): 8.19
GM Synchromesh FM: 10.05

Because of this, I can no longer recommend amsoil MTF and it is one of the reasons which I believe contributed to my gear grinds. The GM synchromesh, hasport RMM, KZCMC, and clutch pedal adjustment, and technique modification seemed to have the biggest help and improvement.

blackstone.PNG
This is gonna hurt some feelings of the Amsoil cultist.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Is there something wrong with the OEM fluid? Also, shouldn't we be using GL4 fluid, since it's easier on the brass components?

Did this start happening when you first bought the car?I track my FK8 and haven't touched the transmission fluid... Prior to my FK8 I had a 10th gen SI which I also tracked and swapped transmission fluid often. I started to get gear grinds after I tried every fluid known to man... Motul gear 300, gear 300LS, Redline GL4 (which was best in my opinion), Motulygear... Nothing really beat the OEM fluid that was originally in it and the more i messed with it the worse it got.

Wouldn't the gear grind most likely be caused by the clutch not disengaging and engaging properly? Seems like most are able to switch gears but it gets stuck mid-way through.

Just a few theories and sharing my own experiences.

OP
OP
blayed

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
Is there something wrong with the OEM fluid? Also, shouldn't we be using GL4 fluid, since it's easier on the brass components?

Did this start happening when you first bought the car?I track my FK8 and haven't touched the transmission fluid... Prior to my FK8 I had a 10th gen SI which I also tracked and swapped transmission fluid often. I started to get gear grinds after I tried every fluid known to man... Motul gear 300, gear 300LS, Redline GL4 (which was best in my opinion), Motulygear... Nothing really beat the OEM fluid that was originally in it and the more i messed with it the worse it got.

Wouldn't the gear grind most likely be caused by the clutch not disengaging and engaging properly? Seems like most are able to switch gears but it gets stuck mid-way through.

Just a few theories and sharing my own experiences.
I think Lust has the definitive write up on the subject in this thread:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/transmission-grinds-lockouts-causes-solutions.62471/

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
what density rear motor mount did you get and how was the extra NVH?

OP
OP
blayed

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
what density rear motor mount did you get and how was the extra NVH?
I got the 62A "street" mount. The only time I notice more vibration is when the AC is on. It is noticeable but not bothersome. My gf couldn't tell the difference. But the benefits to the shifting and to the overall driving experience are worth every penny of the $149

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Last edited: