Gear Grind continues ... tried everything. What to do next?

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I know this may be a weird one but has anyone checked their oil level? I never had this problem but just more curious.
My oil level was low from factory fill. No leaks. I’m sure it was partial cause of the 2nd and lock out issue.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im gonna try this ac delco. Thanks. Made an order.
I have no grinds btw. Just want to try it on my next trans flush

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
could a stiffer engine and trans mount help? the less movement on a quick shift might mitigate a grind.

i have yet to grind a gear. but i always push the clutch pedal to the floor when shifting fast or normal/slow.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just ordered some. I figured it can't hurt to try.
I did the same. Going to put amsoil in and drive it a bit. Then flush and switch to acdelco fm. Going to see what's up

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Alright hear this insanity out.

Slam the clutch in so you hear a tap or thud. Then shift. It feels like there's a difference between flat to the floor and FLAT for the car.

I assume this is why the clutch delay release valve thing works. I've been doing this for 2 days and the car feels brand new.

Push the clutch hard eno to hear a thud and try that.

vactor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3, 981
Country flag

Slam the clutch in so you hear a tap or thud. Then shift. It feels like there's a difference between flat to the floor and FLAT for the car.

I assume this is why the clutch delay release valve thing works. I've been doing this for 2 days and the car feels brand new.

clutch delay only works in the direction of clutch engagement. it is to soften them transition from no clutch engagement (foot on floor) to clutch engagement (foot off floor). to see why, watch the Gears n' Gasoline drag race video where they broke the diff / axles from dumping clutch and furious "hard shifting". the delay make the clutch engagement less hard, not the disengageent, as it is a one-way delay.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
could a stiffer engine and trans mount help? the less movement on a quick shift might mitigate a grind.

i have yet to grind a gear. but i always push the clutch pedal to the floor when shifting fast or normal/slow.
Yes, when I went to Hasport motor mounts, it could have been placebo but since my engine and trans was not rocking around the shift has less play. IDK if you've ever seen the shifter move a little bit on it's own when you give it gas...

OP
OP
blayed

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag

That's basically what I've started doing. With the additional step that I dont apply any pressure to the shifter UNTIL the clutch is "slammed in". I forgot where I read it but while its easily to subconsciously start to "pull" the lever out of gear a little bit fore you even shift, it's bad for shifting. I never had this problem on my Ford Focus so I take it that our tranny is a little more sensitive than others BUT I believe this is a "best practice" for type R owners.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
People hate to admit it but 99% of CTR 1-2 gear grinds are caused by people just not having the clutch pressed in fully when they shift. It's not a car issue, it's a human error issue. The clutch has substantially more travel than the shifter and people racing to get into 2nd as quick as possible mess it up a ton even if they have a lot of prior stick experience. CTR has a much shorter shifter throw than most people are used to.

Since you stated "I will still get it about once a day, sometimes more even after I clutch in fully, let the revs drop, shift, and then clutch out." you should take it to Honda for warranty- that is not normal. I get a 1-2 grind maybe once every 6 months and it is always because I got careless with my timing- never has been the car's fault.
I do not agree and this is my 3rd FK8. My 2017 did this on month one and another on month X and near 10k miles it grinds granny shifting. Love the car but got back into a 2020 which never grinded gears and currently my 2021 does not as well. so far. I personally think this is a defect and perhaps some cars are worst than other. If this is not a defect i suspect something is not adjusted correctly from the factory..

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
clutch delay only works in the direction of clutch engagement. it is to soften them transition from no clutch engagement (foot on floor) to clutch engagement (foot off floor). to see why, watch the Gears n' Gasoline drag race video where they broke the diff / axles from dumping clutch and furious "hard shifting". the delay make the clutch engagement less hard, not the disengageent, as it is a one-way delay.
Fair eno - I did say assume as I had no idea how it works.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
what is a kzcmc?
something something clutch master cylinder?