Gaz price

ManuGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-T & '02 Mazda Miata LS
Country flag
It sucks, at least we have the right cars for it. I filled up yesterday at $3.89 which is 60 cents more than what I paid last week (NoCo). It cost me $40 to fill up. I was paying more than that for my Escape or my Acura CL not so long ago when gas was significantly cheaper. I guess it could be worse!

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We're over $5 today across Phoenix. The further you get from the gulf refineries the higher it gets.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember as a kid being made to fill up my moms car (I was so young, nowadays I think you’d get in trouble) but gas did go up a bit. I remember in WA gas was a bit higher then than it is now in and around 2008. I made way less then and drove a lot more so, luckily, it’s not hitting me much these days. It may cost me near 2x per tank to fill… but I don’t fill up until every 3-4 weeks.

I’m not too interested in the politics discussion of it… but it is interesting to me, from this thread, that any US domestic energy decisions or political parties seem to either 1) matter less than anyone thinks or 2) affect the entire world drastically. I would not think US politics would affect European oil prices. The wheeling and dealing with Venezuela recently when I had to write a paper on Maduro a couple years back after we put a warrant out for his arrest (that’s a thing… the US put a warrant out for another country’s dictat-er… president.) but now we’re going to play ball with them for oil.

It’s a damn circus. I’ve served in the military under 4 different Presidents flip flopping around both of the big two parties. The one constant has been discontented folks with whoever we have, getting someone new eventually… and more discontentment. At least it’s consistent.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
This is 7.24$ a gallon and 8.32$/US gal. Respectively (3.785 liters per us gallon...2.199$/L. This is bad...) so stop crying ?
Might want to use a website to help you with these conversions because you're way off.

$2.079 CAD per liter = $6.140 USD per US gallon
$2.199 CAD per liter = $6.494 USD per US gallon

Yes we're getting railed up here, but not as bad as you're saying.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Troy Jollimore said:
Strange how the gas prices didn’t spike like this during the two Gulf wars… ?

In my opinion, the situation caused by the Gulf War was not only different, but much less dangerous than now and was not in a period of pandemic

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It sucks, at least we have the right cars for it. I guess it could be worse!
Yesss. Wouldn’t it be even BETTER if we had ELECTRIC cars? Hmmm… ?

In my opinion, the situation caused by the Gulf War was not only different, but much less dangerous than now and was not in a period of pandemic
‘Pandemic’… yeah. Everything seems to be quite convenient, though someone pointed out Putin’s actions have secured a Russian hold on most of the newly-discovered oil fields in the Ukraine.

I do believe in Hanlon’s Razor, though. Not hard to envision all of the elite class scurrying around like frightened rats at the prospect of their little empires getting singed!

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
we have plenty of oil reserves in and around the USA, but our leaders would rather shove EVs upon us than allow drilling.but the electricity is going to go up in price just like majic when we all go electric,wait and see.only the hollywood elite will be driving gas cars before long,but they will drive guzzlers like bugattis and ferraris and the ever popular escalade.

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
you might want to compare the price of electricity, to the price of gas,

you won't end up saving much
I'm not saying I'm replacing the Civic with an electric to save cost on gas. Current car only has 37k km. I'm not planning on replacing it for at least another 5-7 years. I'm pretty sure by then electric cars will be mainstream and will be much improved. Who knows what gas price and hydro cost will be then.

Ultimately, I can generate electricity myself at home, but I cannot do the same for gasoline.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might want to use a website to help you with these conversions because you're way off.

$2.079 CAD per liter = $6.140 USD per US gallon
$2.199 CAD per liter = $6.494 USD per US gallon

Yes we're getting railed up here, but not as bad as you're saying.
Because you added the usd to cad conversion factor...but it doesn't apply since Americans are paid in USD...and they are also paid more so...

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I was nine when Desert Storm happened, so I can't speak from memory on all the political happenings of the day. I have some guesses, though.

Market speculation on oil is based largely on risk. If the perceived risk is high, the prices spike. This is sometimes more, sometimes less important than simple supply vs demand, but both affect prices.

I would bet that the market had a lot more confidence in the abilities and determination of the US government when Bush was president. After all, we had just won the Cold War, our biggest rival was trying to pick up the pieces, and China was nowhere near the level of economic threat they are today. We were the undisputed sole superpower. There might have been some fear of heavy casualties, but nobody expected the United States military to lose.

If so, this would mean Hussein's actions might have a bigger effect on supply than on risk- and the Saudis weren't happy about the whole situation, I think, so it wouldn't surprise me if they pumped more at the time to keep the market stable.

A quick search shows this article- from CNN, so not like I'm posting right wing propaganda here.

https://money.cnn.com/2013/09/03/investing/war-syria-stocks-oil/index.html

Oil prices rose approaching Desert Storm, and fell after it started. The speculators must have anticipated a quick US victory and return to normal market conditions.

It doesn't talk about prices through the duration of occupying Iraq after 2003, though. I was there for 15 months, and when we came home in the summer of 2008 we were shocked at how much gas prices had risen. My thinking there is that the risk of a larger regional war with Iran, possibly sucking the Saudis and other oil producing countries into it was leaning heavily on the scales, and that risk didn't really go away. The price went down, though, after fracking opened up US domestic production to unprecedented levels.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I almost fainted today. 87 went down .08 pgal $4.51
Sponsored