Gas type for 2017 Civic Hatch LX??

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
So the manual says MINIMUM 87 octane required, would using 89/91/93 be beneficial at all? Or even harmful? I read a Car and Driver article that said CR-V's Inline 4 turbo didnt benefit from higher, but I've seen other people say that no matter what, turbo should use 91+, any opinion? I know that Sport/Type R require more but just wondering about LX
Sponsored

Wh1SL3R

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX MT Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Just use the minimum required octane or higher. Higher octane will not harm your engine. Some say that you should always use 91+ for forced induction motors due to the higher resistance to pre-detonation (knock). Without getting too technical, the manufacturer will recommend a higher grade if it is necessary.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
There are eleventy-million threads on this, hashing and re-hashing it dead into the ground. Do a search, and you will find every piece of information and opinion under the sun.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Iā€™m running premium in my hatch with helped a ton with fuel dilution. In my book, anything of that low displacement paired with turbo needs higher octane. Just my opinion

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Iā€™m running premium in my hatch with helped a ton with fuel dilution. In my book, anything of that low displacement paired with turbo needs higher octane. Just my opinion
Have no idea that premium gas can help with the he oil dilution problem. How so?
I have a SI and I use mostly premium gas.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Have no idea that premium gas can help with the he oil dilution problem. How so?
I have a SI and I use mostly premium gas.
From what I understand With higher octane timing is being advanced therefore engines runs leaner, less fuel being dumped and unburnt causing the oil to dilute

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wouldnt the computer just compensate for the higher octane, I doubt from my readings and understandings that it would benefit the engine any.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
My wife's cousin works as a chemical engineer at Calumet Montana Refining. When I asked him basically the same question, his short answer is the only difference between regular and premium grade is the octane count, the additives are exactly the same. ( this is in regards to his refinery, but he did go on to say some refineries such as Shell do have differences in how they refine gas, Shell Gold for example has zero ethanyol and supposedly more additives ) That said, on a bone stock car you won't notice a difference running premium, but if your car has a tune, it's probably a good idea to use the higher grade. Some tuners like TSP require premium. Running datalogs, when I use 91 premium my knock control stays around 52-54, never getting above 60 in hard driving. When I ran 87 regular, the knock control averaged 70-72, with a high of 93 during hard driving once, and the effect on performance was noticeable and gas mileage also dropped, although it was less than half a mile per gallon. For me, the extra $3 per tankful for premium isn't that big of a deal, and I'd rather get the most out of getting a custom tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
There are eleventy-million threads on this, hashing and re-hashing it dead into the ground. Do a search, and you will find every piece of information and opinion under the sun.
Unless you have n
My wife's cousin works as a chemical engineer at Calumet Montana Refining. When I asked him basically the same question, his short answer is the only difference between regular and premium grade is the octane count, the additives are exactly the same. ( this is in regards to his refinery, but he did go on to say some refineries such as Shell do have differences in how they refine gas, Shell Gold for example has zero ethanyol and supposedly more additives ) That said, on a bone stock car you won't notice a difference running premium, but if your car has a tune, it's probably a good idea to use the higher grade. Some tuners like TSP require premium. Running datalogs, when I use 91 premium my knock count stays around 52-54, never getting above 60 in hard driving. When I ran 87 regular, the knock count averaged 70-72, with a high of 93 during hard driving once, and the effect on performance was noticeable and gas mileage also dropped, although it was less than half a mile per gallon. For me, the extra $3 per tankful for premium isn't that big of a deal, and I'd rather get the most out of getting a custom tune.
wow that's a great answer, thank you!

mc21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
So the manual says MINIMUM 87 octane required, would using 89/91/93 be beneficial at all? Or even harmful? I read a Car and Driver article that said CR-V's Inline 4 turbo didnt benefit from higher, but I've seen other people say that no matter what, turbo should use 91+, any opinion? I know that Sport/Type R require more but just wondering about LX
It won't be beneficial at all. It will just cost you more money for gas. https://www.cars.com/articles/if-my...od-to-use-premium-occasionally-1420684149356/

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean if you're going to run lower octane, do it during the colder months as detonation/knock won't be such an issue, but I would run 91 during the summer if it is hot where you live to avoid the chance of it.
EDIT: I am only speaking for the turbo. The NA 2.0 can run 87 all day erry day.

Last edited:

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
I would use the minimum required per the owners manual. But personally for me, I use 91-oct for peace of mind. And I have a 2016 LX-P 2.0NA

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 Civic LX
Country flag
Iā€™m probably gonna continue to use 91. It costs roughly $2 more per tank than 87 at the gas station a block from home.
Sponsored