Gas smell from heater

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
2017 Civic Hatchback LX. I've noticed that if I drive with the heat on, park the car for a bit (example:grocery shopping) and then start the car back up, the heat smells a little like gas. However, it only does this if I drive, park and then drive again within an hour not if I simply drive home from work and leave the car parked overnight. Anyone else noticed this or have an idea what might be causing it? Possibly related to the direct injection and fuel dilution issue?
Sponsored

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Not related to direct injection or fuel dilution issue. Check to see if your hoses are all clamped tight.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have a catch can installed? anyway check your oil level to make sure it is not overfilled, the short trips might cause more oil dilution.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you do have a catch can and its a Mishimoto, that's most likely the issue. Their hoses are garbage and they've admitted it.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
If you do have a catch can and its a Mishimoto, that's most likely the issue. Their hoses are garbage and they've admitted it.
Do you have a catch can installed? anyway check your oil level to make sure it is not overfilled, the short trips might cause more oil dilution.
The car is completely stock. What I find weird is that if I go from point A to B, there is no smell. It only happens if I go from point A to B, park the car, then go to point C, etc.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well,even though you don't have a catch can,my car would do as you said, after driving it from a to b,the smell from the hoses would build up and when I got in it to go to c, the smell would rush in through the vents.
In any case, I would have it checked out asap as it could be something dangerous. You never know, but better safe than sorry.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe actual fuel and not just vapors making it over to the charcoal canister. Excessive topping off?

Have a lot of pressure when you loosen your gas cap?

Stuck open purge valve that's not letting gases sit and let the charcoal do it's thing.

Or, well... you could straight up have a fuel leak somewhere. I've had a few... all on old cars though. I remember opening my hood and seeing fuel spraying from my fuel pressure regulator... while the car was running. Yeah... I scrambled to turn it off. I'd just noticed fuel smell. Turns out my engine bay got a gasoline wash down.
Sponsored