Gas overflow and first gear lockout

AceOfAngels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG2 FK8
1200 miles on my fk8 now.. I'm encountering two issues.. 1st gear will not go into gear at a stop, I commute 20 miles and this will happen 1 or 2 times a day. Clutch all the way in and first gear will not go into gear. I will put it into 2nd gear then it will go into first gear no problem. Did a quick search didn't see anyone else with this issue.. any ideas?
2nd issue is with filling up with gas, it will overflow and not click off.. I've filled up 5 times and 3 times it will overflow with gas filling the gas compartment running all over the side of the car and wheels.. so now I have to keep a close eye on the amount I put in.. I searched this and didn't see any type r's with this issue but did see some si and ex with this issue.. anyone experienced this with a type r?
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Replace MTF. The dealer might do it for free or switch to Amsoil.
The transmissions is still breaking in so try to be gentle. I would expect it to get better soon unless the trans is defective.

Pittwm

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, X5, Civic Touring, Accord, Type R
Country flag
If you are still rolling to a stop and try to get into 1st gear, it's hard without first slow down the gears (putting it in 2nd then 1st), its pretty normal for MT...

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
the first 3k i found the trans a bit clunky but its nice and smooth after.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Are you having this gas issue at one pump or at different pumps? It sounds, at first, more like the pump isn't shutting off properly. It could also be an issue with the evap system not venting the air properly so the nozzle doesn't detect the increased air pressure and shut off automatically.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
As far as the trans, didn't someone have a similar issue recently and find like, an acorn or a stick sitting on top of the transmission and physically blocking the linkage from moving into first?

OP
OP

AceOfAngels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG2 FK8
Always at a complete stop with first gear.. I rarely downshift to first while I'm rolling
3 different pumps same problem.. 2 different stations both shell
I haven't physically examined the trans but will check it out..
Planning to take it to the dealer when I get back home from vacation.
Quote system is touchy from my phone
Thanks for the responses

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Always at a complete stop with first gear.. I rarely downshift to first while I'm rolling
3 different pumps same problem.. 2 different stations both shell
I haven't physically examined the trans but will check it out..
Planning to take it to the dealer when I get back home from vacation.
Quote system is touchy from my phone
Thanks for the responses
I get the first gear lockout too. It happens when I try to slid it into first gear at 3 mph and under. When I am able to put it in gear at those speeds , it will grind. I have to be at a complete stop for it to engage.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
A lot of people have issue with the trans in this car but a lot of people on here will tell U its user error or is not Honda’s fault. Some of the trans in these cars are defective big time... theres no if an’s about it. The trans grinds on fast shift 1st-2nd sometimes.... locks u out 5th-4th downshift an I notice I feel the gear teeth in the shifter when downshifting into 2nd like it’s not meshing right almost like it wants to grind..

OP
OP

AceOfAngels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG2 FK8
@turboshawn
I'm a die hard honda guy.. I feel the 2nd gear not meshing on a higher rpm shift in the fk8 and felt alot of that in both my 8th gens (fg2 and fa5).. its disheartening, there are some tran issues but the car is fun af to drive when you hit it right.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love Honda myself but will get told I don’t because I bash the car.. it is a very fun little car when the trans decides to cooperate.. so days she’s on some not like it has a mind of its own it’s like a moody gf some days she on some off... I have a dealer buying mine this week there’s just to many issues for me to look past an I am not a big fan of direct injection engines... I am afraid to see the intake valves in this engine when there’s 50-60k on it.. could be wrong but I have seen a few DI engines apart an the intake valves are scary looking...

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t want the walnut blasting to have to happen i’ll Have to get some pet squirrels to get them out lmao

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took the Buick gn to the track the last week for test & tune but it won’t let me upload the video. Ran a 10.28 at 134mph not bad for an 87 Buick lol

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Make sure you put the pump spout all the way in until you cannot push it in any further. Do not put it in partially.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
1200 miles on my fk8 now.. I'm encountering two issues.. 1st gear will not go into gear at a stop, I commute 20 miles and this will happen 1 or 2 times a day. Clutch all the way in and first gear will not go into gear. I will put it into 2nd gear then it will go into first gear no problem. Did a quick search didn't see anyone else with this issue.. any ideas?
2nd issue is with filling up with gas, it will overflow and not click off.. I've filled up 5 times and 3 times it will overflow with gas filling the gas compartment running all over the side of the car and wheels.. so now I have to keep a close eye on the amount I put in.. I searched this and didn't see any type r's with this issue but did see some si and ex with this issue.. anyone experienced this with a type r?
1st is often hard to engage due to the hard work required by the synchro, but if it really is locked out with the clutch on the floor, I would show it to the dealer. Clutch drag would explain it. If everything is working normally, then you can engage first while moving if you double clutch heel and toe into first. That way, you are spinning up the input shaft and making it easy to go into gear. Requires practice though.

As others say, definitely put the gas nozzle in all the way so that the collar seals with the neck. However, it should shut off reliably. It could be the vent hose or something in the plumbing is not hooked up right.
Sponsored