www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
horrible advice,

oil should be checked at full operating temperature,

and withing 2-3 mins of shutting the engine off,

read your manual
This wisdom is fairly flawed, really. While it's technically true that accurate reading would be taken when the oil is warm, oil volume expands when hot, so if he's trying to determine is the oil is diluted and higher than normal, checking it cold is relevant.

My car came from the dealer spot on the full line when it's cold. You don't do an oil change and pour hot oil from the bottle into the car either, so again, it's somewhat mooted by the method applied. If his oil is over full when cold, for the purpose of this test, it's overfull when hot. ;)
Sponsored

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
its not the correct answer, its again horrible advice,

all the oil should NOT BE in the sump when you check the oil level, oil SHOULD BE in the cylinder head and oil passages, that is the reason why they recommend checking the level immediately after shutting the engine off,
Wowzers. The oil check is manufacture and even vehicle specific, but generally speaking, checking the oil when it's cold and in the pan is fine. Otherwise, usually after a couple minutes, hot oil will have mostly made its way back down.

Now, as fact, as I have the manual here with me:
"We recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel."
"Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil."
"Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark."

Checking your oil when you refuel is just so people remember to do it and is not necessary - it can be done once a week, first thing in the morning, or after the car has been sitting. Waiting 3 minutes for oil the drip back into the pan is normal. Take note, that IF you are checking the engine oil level HOT, it is NORMAL for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark..

Assuming you're checking your oil when you refuel, it assumes the oil is hot and assumes the oil has expanded. What does that mean? That means checking the oil when it's cold and it's at the upper mark is normal and proper procedure.

In short, stop talking shit. There is nothing wrong with checking the oil level first thing in the morning or whenever the vehicle has been off for a longer length of time.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
As long as you are checking your oil regularly, you are fine. The dipstick has a range on it that is considered safe. It gives wiggle room; as long as the oil is between the two lines you are good. That wiggle room should be enough to compensate for checking your oil hot or cold. All this assuming appropriate time was given for the oil to drain into the pan.
Sponsored