rucnok

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R CW
Country flag
Bought my 2019 on 6/19, drive it sparingly cause I have a Ridgeline truck I use for hunting and bad weather, have around 3400 miles now. Was curious to know what the others have learned about gas mileage say when cruising at 70-75mph on the interstate. Is there a difference in gas mileage in +R vs. sport vs. comfort? I tend to prefer sport personally on the interstate due to the good response but not too rigid ride. City streets that aren't the best, I'm always in comfort. Thanks!
Sponsored

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
None of the modes should have any appreciable effect on fuel economy. 70mph uses the same amount of fuel whether you're in comfort, sport, or +R.

Comfort (like Econ in the regular Civic trims) numbs the throttle response, so you're encouraged to go at lower speeds/not accelerate as quickly, but if there's any change from that it's due to different driving habits.

OP
OP

rucnok

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R CW
Country flag
Well that's really good to know, at times I've felt like I might be wasting a bit of fuel being in sport or +R during the morning commute. I have to say its rare I don't hit 100+ every single trip I take in it, if only for a few seconds. It's addictive.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well that's really good to know, at times I've felt like I might be wasting a bit of fuel being in sport or +R during the morning commute. I have to say its rare I don't hit 100+ every single trip I take in it, if only for a few seconds. It's addictive.
I get better fuel economy in sport/R than comfort, comfort torque table is way too dialed down requiring me to mash the gas even more.

Other modes, just feather the throttle and I'm up to speed and back to comfort mode.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It all depends on how you drive, the only thing that will affect your gas mileage in the different modes is going to be the throttle mapping. I get slightly better gas mileage on in comfort mode because I don't need to be in fast mode 24/7, but the gain is really negligible.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I noticed I get a extra day before having to fill up driving in comfort majority of the week.

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
In my opinion if you own a type R, why would anyone be pinching pennies on gas. Just drive and enjoy the car. I didn’t by mine to drive in comfort mode ha. Your not gunna live forever, just enjoy it as much as you can!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
no harm driving R mode man enjoy the car you're crazy rolling around in comfort. I actually like Sport for cruising around it's not so bouncy as comfort.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
In my opinion if you own a type R, why would anyone be pinching pennies on gas. Just drive and enjoy the car. I didn’t by mine to drive in comfort mode ha. Your not gunna live forever, just enjoy it as much as you can!
This guy right HERE got it right...it costs what? at most $27 to $35 to$40 for you people that live in MarxistFornia to fill the tank? This is the cheapest car i ever had to fill up a tank o gas. Try driving my girl's Ford Taurus Sho that car takes $close to $50 on regular gas to fill.
In the grand scheme of things Our cars give us the best of both worlds...drive and enjoy

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You're not going to go anywhere any faster if you're sitting in traffic. You can drive around like a mad man but end up paying 33% more in gas to save 2 minutes or you could drive like everyone else... On my daily commutes I tended to go towards comfort mode, also while warming up the car as well.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You're not going to go anywhere any faster if you're sitting in traffic. You can drive around like a mad man but end up paying 33% more in gas to save 2 minutes or you could drive like everyone else... On my daily commutes I tended to go towards comfort mode, also while warming up the car as well.
Just because in R mode doesn't mean it's some race - I personally like the throttle response and downshifting crispness when cruising around / in traffic in R mode. No difference in modes for warming up the car I don't believe - it's all about RPM's and staying out of boost until warm.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Just because in R mode doesn't mean it's some race - I personally like the throttle response and downshifting crispness when cruising around / in traffic in R mode. No difference in modes for warming up the car I don't believe - it's all about RPM's and staying out of boost until warm.
Messes with the muscle memory when throttle control is concerned. Like I have to physically push the pedal in deeper (and remember to do so) when its in comfort mode if my foot is accustomed to sport. If I stick in comfort mode for too long (never returning to sport/+R), then the effect goes away and I got back to being aggressive.

I prefer the downshifting aggressiveness in +R mode (if you're using the rev matching), I do agree with that. But for slower traffic, comfort's throttle response actually helps give you more fine-tuned control at lower speeds.
Sponsored