bibo136

First Name
Shih
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crv
Country flag
official Honda map is 1+yr behind comparing to the stand alone garmin unit. Maps from stand alone and Honda Head unit are using the same map except Honda head unit "looks" different map name header from the map database. Just to show you it can be done, look at the attached image.

Honda Civic 10th gen Garmin Map Updates IMG_20180214_195853
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
first time posting.
I have 17 crv with navi and I have managed to load 2019.10; fid:7511 map onto the HU. I helped my friend to update his 17 civic map to 2019.10 without any problem. If anyone like to give it a try, PM me and I'll send you a link to my google drive with the info.
FYI: lasted official Honda update released at Nov of 2017 is based on 2018.10 garmin map set.
I downloaded the map update for my civic via Garmin Express (didn't yet install them in the car). The new maps I just downloaded are version 18.0 as reported by Garmin Express. The maps I updated in December for my Garmin nuvi are apparently version 18.3, still current. You said you just updated a civic to 2019.10, and the last Honda update is allegedly 2018.10.
What does it all mean? How did you get the updates from the future :respect:and why Garmin is not giving them to me?:banghead:

I guess you have edited the file headers for Honda HU to accept them. Are you sure they are 100% compatible? And why my standalone Garmin still doesn't get the version 2019.10?

Btw. some people said they successfully updated maps without the engine running. Is the engine supposed to be running just to prevent the possibility of discharging of the battery in the process ? (If the engine state is not checked I would rather connect a charger than run the car for half an hour).

bibo136

First Name
Shih
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crv
Country flag
I downloaded the map update for my civic via Garmin Express (didn't yet install them in the car). The new maps I just downloaded are version 18.0 as reported by Garmin Express. The maps I updated in December for my Garmin nuvi are apparently version 18.3, still current. You said you just updated a civic to 2019.10, and the last Honda update is allegedly 2018.10.
What does it all mean? How did you get the updates from the future :respect:and why Garmin is not giving them to me?:banghead:

I guess you have edited the file headers for Honda HU to accept them. Are you sure they are 100% compatible? And why my standalone Garmin still doesn't get the version 2019.10?

Btw. some people said they successfully updated maps without the engine running. Is the engine supposed to be running just to prevent the possibility of discharging of the battery in the process ? (If the engine state is not checked I would rather connect a charger than run the car for half an hour).
If you check your Nuvi it should have 19.10 by now, 19.10 was released couple weeks ago. Garmin standalone gps updates 4 times a year, hence the .10, .20, .30 and .40 naming on the map, while Honda/car head unit system only updates annually. If you use garmin map source software to ready the gmapsupp.img map set, it will tell you more details on FID or release date on the map set.
I get the 19.10 map set thru garmin express and I am not going to go into details otherwise garmin might closed the loop hole. Simply put, if you have garmin's lifetime subscription for map updates you will have no issue getting updates for the navi. Lots of 17 and 18 CRV users have tried my maps and they have no issue + my friend's 17 civic is running fine with it too. My method of update is identical to official update procedures except replacing old/official map data with latest garmin nuvi map. I had do bit by bit comparison of official Honda map on 17 and 18 with nuvi 17.10 and 18.10 map and they are all identical. It doesn't update garmin navi software or firmware so it wont brick your navi at all. I have tried pulling the usb out of the system half way into the update and still able to restart the update process after the system rebooted (off course the system report missing map).
The official update procedure should only takes 15min max after you plug usb into your car and you can still listen to music as you as you have your tunes started before the update process or control your tune thru your steering wheel. If you have slower flash drive, it might take longer so update with engine on to ensure not draining your battery.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Is the engine supposed to be running just to prevent the possibility of discharging of the battery in the process ? (If the engine state is not checked I would rather connect a charger than run the car for half an hour).
I think the issue is that the car will turn off Accessory after some period of time (30 minutes? I don't recall) and they have you leaving it running so that this won't happen in mid update.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Garmin Map Updates ima
If you check your Nuvi it should have 19.10 by now, 19.10 was released couple weeks ago. Garmin standalone gps updates 4 times a year, hence the .10, .20, .30 and .40 naming on the map, while Honda/car head unit system only updates annually. If you use garmin map source software to ready the gmapsupp.img map set, it will tell you more details on FID or release date on the map set.
I get the 19.10 map set thru garmin express and I am not going to go into details otherwise garmin might closed the loop hole. Simply put, if you have garmin's lifetime subscription for map updates you will have no issue getting updates for the navi. Lots of 17 and 18 CRV users have tried my maps and they have no issue + my friend's 17 civic is running fine with it too. My method of update is identical to official update procedures except replacing old/official map data with latest garmin nuvi map. I had do bit by bit comparison of official Honda map on 17 and 18 with nuvi 17.10 and 18.10 map and they are all identical. It doesn't update garmin navi software or firmware so it wont brick your navi at all. I have tried pulling the usb out of the system half way into the update and still able to restart the update process after the system rebooted (off course the system report missing map).
The official update procedure should only takes 15min max after you plug usb into your car and you can still listen to music as you as you have your tunes started before the update process or control your tune thru your steering wheel. If you have slower flash drive, it might take longer so update with engine on to ensure not draining your battery.
I updated the maps easily and quite quickly to the Honda version 2018 (2018.30) as shown above. The problem is that that's the latest version Garmin Express gives me, either for the civic or for my nuvi unit. I don't understand why I don't get the newest maps even on my Garmin nuvi.

outis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
OrionX, thanks for mentioning that your update only took about fifteen minutes. Mine updated just as quickly, and it finished during my morning commute yesterday.

Some quirks:

- To "pair" my USB stick with the head unit and have Garmin install its profile, I had to plug it into the USB port behind the HU (that was marked with the phone icon). It wasn't getting recognized in its usual spot inside the console, below the cup holder.

- Installing the update into the car worked (AFAIK) by plugging the USB stick into the console socket (where it hadn't been recognized before).

- Garmin still thinks there is a Starbucks along a road I take to work. There isn't, never was, and probably will never be a Starbucks here. Just as dumb is the process to tell Garmin about the error (seriously, if you can figure it out, let us know).

IMG_4011.JPG
One further Honda-specific quirk I just learned about when I called Garmin support: the FAT32 thumb drive should be 16GB, no more, no less, or Garmin Express may not "find" it after you've paired it with the head unit and you'll be unable to download the update. And here I was using a 32 GB stick. Silly me . . .

Fourpz

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just updated my maps, used s 32 GB thumb drive. Installation was smooth as silk, only problem was I was trying to use the USB Port in the center console, under the cup holders. You have to use the front USB Port under the dash. Only took about 20 min to download from the drive to the car, instructions said could be up to an hour.

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
official Honda map is 1+yr behind comparing to the stand alone garmin unit. Maps from stand alone and Honda Head unit are using the same map except Honda head unit "looks" different map name header from the map database. Just to show you it can be done, look at the attached image.

IMG_20180214_195853.jpg
Hi, do you mind sharing what is to be tweaked to get it to work? Have tried it with the 2019.10 Australia map and it will load but after the update (which it reports as successful) , it won't recognize the new map. I didn't mess with the garmindevice.xml file though. Thanks in advance.

bibo136

First Name
Shih
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crv
Country flag
check your PM for more detail info. All the necessary info to make it work it's already in the screen shot :)

marcodor

First Name
Dorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
Hello Honda Owners!
Does anyone found a way to install custom maps on built-in Garmin device?
I have an US car that comes with US maps, imported in Europe and I'm trying to "inject" Europe/Regional maps.
Installed HondaHack and now I'm able to write/change directly the Garmin folder. Tried also "classic" update way, with changed files, but the app refuses to load them.
I saw built-in/approved maps comes with "unl" and "gma" certificate files for specified/exact device id.
So probably the only way is to patch the Garmin app itself or maybe someone have other toughts?
Thanks!

dcbluetouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Updating the map is the thing I hate most about the 2016 Civic Touring. First, I really need to remember that only the usb under the touchscreen works for the upload, not the one in the center console. Second, it never seems to work with a used flash drive, even if I reformat it to remove every speck of stuff. Over three days, I must have tried 30 times to get the car to recognize the flash drive. Finally, with brand new unused stick, it downloaded the codes to upgrade the map.
Garmin-Honda's directions says your local dealer might be able to help with the upgrade but no dealer I called in the DC Metro area provide this service, and some of the service department were pretty rude about it.
Lucky me, three days later I finally finished the update. Downloading the new map took about 35 minutes with a fairly good internet connection and uploading to the car took about 20 minutes.
Patience is really required because there is no apparent reason for the car to sometimes recognize the stick and sometimes reject it. And, the directions sure could be better. There is no excuse for specifying which usb port to use on the directions at garmin.com/honda

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
Updating the map is the thing I hate most about the 2016 Civic Touring. First, I really need to remember that only the usb under the touchscreen works for the upload, not the one in the center console. Second, it never seems to work with a used flash drive, even if I reformat it to remove every speck of stuff. Over three days, I must have tried 30 times to get the car to recognize the flash drive. Finally, with brand new unused stick, it downloaded the codes to upgrade the map.
Garmin-Honda's directions says your local dealer might be able to help with the upgrade but no dealer I called in the DC Metro area provide this service, and some of the service department were pretty rude about it.
Lucky me, three days later I finally finished the update. Downloading the new map took about 35 minutes with a fairly good internet connection and uploading to the car took about 20 minutes.
Patience is really required because there is no apparent reason for the car to sometimes recognize the stick and sometimes reject it. And, the directions sure could be better. There is no excuse for specifying which usb port to use on the directions at garmin.com/honda
You guys in the U.S. must have a much more detailed update because my updates here in Australia never take more than 5 minutes.

The trick I have found with the USB drive is to have it formatted to FAT16 (max 4GB). You can use bigger drives but you first need to partition it to no more than 4GB and then format it to FAT or FAT16 (not FAT32). This has consistently worked for me with multiple drives, new or old.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
You guys in the U.S. must have a much more detailed update because my updates here in Australia never take more than 5 minutes.
Whole lotta nuthin in 9/10ths of Australia...

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Whole lotta nuthin in 9/10ths of Australia...

Honda has become a software company that also sells cars.
Too bad they haven't realized it yet.
Looking at the Civic's Audio Display unit -- maybe a better signature might be :

Honda has become a software company that also sells cars.
Too bad they haven't realized that they can't develop software yet.