Gap insurance for CTR

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Country flag
I just bought my 2021 ctr saturday and was curious if anyone had recommendation for gap insurance. I didn’t get any through the dealer as I’ve been told it can be had elsewhere alot cheaper. My insurance is through progressive and while they offer gap they don’t in my state (NC). My fault for not checking when I got a quote for full coverage on it. The dealer told me to call them if I had issue finding some but wanted to check here first for recommendations.
Sponsored

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just bought my 2021 ctr saturday and was curious if anyone had recommendation for gap insurance. I didn’t get any through the dealer as I’ve been told it can be had elsewhere alot cheaper. My insurance is through progressive and while they offer gap they don’t in my state (NC). My fault for not checking when I got a quote for full coverage on it. The dealer told me to call them if I had issue finding some but wanted to check here first for recommendations.
its a few hundred dollars and not worth it on our cars imo as they hold their value VERY well. if you want complete peace of mind and you do alot of miles, it makes sense though

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Waste.of.money

especially in a car that the value increases.
The point of gap insurance is if your loan is more than what you owe the bank. Usually you can make up the difference after 6 months of payments (considering tax tags title and the cost of losing value for driving it off the lot.). However these cars hold their value, it’s also only if you were to TOTAL the vehicle. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it my guy.

OP
OP
roadrunner1782
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Country flag
The question is, how much did you over pay for the car?

If you didn’t pay massive adm then you don’t need gap.
I paid msrp, only way I was owning one! While I could afford a mark up and the type r is a dream car for me I just wasn’t paying that. Had to drive 4 hours away to get it but so worth the drive. This thing really is a night and day difference from my 2019 si!

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve found GAP insurance to be a few hundred dollars through the dealership finance department. I’ve only gotten one quote outside the dealer and it was far more expensive.

I would suggest GAP, if you paid more than MSRP and/or carried negative equity into your purchase.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I would definitely recommend it. I always purchase gap coverage on any vehicle I finance. I did so on my fk8 as well, and was reimbursed a prorated amount when I paid the vehicle off early. My credit union I financed through offered gap for $375. Shop around.
I know you paid msrp and I am happy to hear that, but these cars (along with most new vehicle) will not hold resale value as high as what they are today. We are in unprecedented times for used and new car values staying high due to demand and low production. Plus, this is the last year for the 10th gen so when the new R comes out, our cars should see a dip in value.
I hate to be the contrarian based off of the other comments, but if fk8s don’t hold their value this high a year from now and you still owe $32k or more... isn’t a couple hundred dollars worth the piece of mind?

Slurm818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Not to necropost but...

For added context, I just purchased a 21 CTR for 45,000 (so about 6k markup) and I was told this was a great deal by my lienholder as they currently value the car at 53,000. My lienholder and insurance are both through USAA and they will pay me 120% of the value of the vehicle should it be totaled, so no need for GAP even with paying that high of a markup.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would definitely recommend it. I always purchase gap coverage on any vehicle I finance. I did so on my fk8 as well, and was reimbursed a prorated amount when I paid the vehicle off early. My credit union I financed through offered gap for $375. Shop around.
I know you paid msrp and I am happy to hear that, but these cars (along with most new vehicle) will not hold resale value as high as what they are today. We are in unprecedented times for used and new car values staying high due to demand and low production. Plus, this is the last year for the 10th gen so when the new R comes out, our cars should see a dip in value.
I hate to be the contrarian based off of the other comments, but if fk8s don’t hold their value this high a year from now and you still owe $32k or more... isn’t a couple hundred dollars worth the piece of mind?
☝? + many people may not know that we can get GAP refunded, depending on factors (read the fine print). Once I reached even equity with my Si, I had GAP refunded, got about half of what I paid for it back to me, and I slapped that onto the principle. ??

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I carried mine through my insurance for under $10/month. Once it became obvious that the car wasn’t losing value, I cancelled it. I probably never should have started it, but I only held it for 3 months, so no huge loss.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
For me I didn’t opt for any because I put 20% down. If not I could go through my insurance company for $16 per year. It’s usually best to go through your insurance versus any bank anyways. $16 per year vs hundreds with a bank.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have progressive, its loan pay off or something. They dont call it gap. I am in pa though.
Idk how different it is.
I think i have the loan payoff in mine. Its at the very bottom in the policy infos 2nd tab. (Sorry about the ass backwards instruction) but may still not since its ny.
Sponsored