Fuse tap for remote wire

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
The biggest issue with a fuse tap is that the legs of the tap are wider than the legs of a standard fuse, which causes the receptacle to open. This can lead to a poor connection for both the original circuit and the added on circuit. More importantly, though, many people use fuse taps so they can easily remove and return back to normal, but having opened the fuse receptacles with the tap, putting a standard fuse back in will now be loose and may not make good contact anymore. It's one of those things where once the receptacle is ruined, it can be exceptionally difficult to repair. I'm definitely not saying it happens every time, but I am saying that most reputable shops wouldn't use one. The ease of use isn't worth the potential costly repair for them, it might be for you.
Sponsored

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
Perfectly said, but the newer style "add a circuit" style eliminate that problem.
Still, if you're running wires to the radio, that's a cleaner installation.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuse tap for remote wire Screenshot_20180725-162755

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
Perfectly said, but the newer style "add a circuit" style eliminate that problem.
Still, if you're running wires to the radio, that's a cleaner installation.

Screenshot_20180725-162755.png
Are you 100% confident that the fuse tap you've shown is the exact size as OEM fuse and won't stretch out the footprint of the cavity?
If so could you provide a link to it?
Sounds like tieing in behind the Head Unit remote wire is the best way to go but I am hesitant to cut that insulation off as I'm not über experienced with trimming fine wires in the tight space.

I did multimeter tonight and find that slot #1 ACCESSORY 10A in my fuse box only supplies 12.+V in ACC mode and 14.+V with car running. If I am to fuse tap it appears to be the one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuse tap for remote wire 20180724_140434

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
The biggest issue with a fuse tap is that the legs of the tap are wider than the legs of a standard fuse, which causes the receptacle to open. This can lead to a poor connection for both the original circuit and the added on circuit. More importantly, though, many people use fuse taps so they can easily remove and return back to normal, but having opened the fuse receptacles with the tap, putting a standard fuse back in will now be loose and may not make good contact anymore. It's one of those things where once the receptacle is ruined, it can be exceptionally difficult to repair. I'm definitely not saying it happens every time, but I am saying that most reputable shops wouldn't use one. The ease of use isn't worth the potential costly repair for them, it might be for you.
What are your thoughts about Rycomm's post about the newer style 'add a circuit'? I should have clarified but that is the style of fuse tap I was referring to however I cant say for certain of one that definitely fits perfectly into our fuse slots without risking damage.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
The old style fuse taps resulted in a fuse leg that were 2-3 times as thick as the fuse. It was very common to see damaged fuse panels from them. If you want to make sure they are the same, you could check them side by side, or get crazy and measure with calipers / micrometer. Littlefuse makes most of the replacement fuses. I'd hope they did their homework before releasing a new product that's supposed to eliminate the problem of the previous style.

I'm going to date myself, but it was very common in the 90's for cell phones to be installed with fuse taps. Sunroof installers were also pretty fond of using them. I don't see them as much lately.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
What are your thoughts about Rycomm's post about the newer style 'add a circuit'? I should have clarified but that is the style of fuse tap I was referring to however I cant say for certain of one that definitely fits perfectly into our fuse slots without risking damage.
Honestly its been 15 years since I was in that business. I havent used or seen them.
Sponsored