Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Hey guys, I got the TSP tune for my CVT and it really woke up the car. But I took of the tune for my tranny oil change. And I've really started to enjoy the cvt paddles for what they are, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the most out of my CVT. Thanks.
Sponsored

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
I
Hey guys, I got the TSP tune for my CVT and it really woke up the car. But I took of the tune for my tranny oil change. And I've really started to enjoy the cvt paddles for what they are, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the most out of my CVT. Thanks.
I find best way for TSP with CVT is not to use paddles - the paddle shifts are quite harsh when you are pushing the car. It gives a lot of transmission shock. Keep it in S mode - also u can try ECO + S mode.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I

I find best way for TSP with CVT is not to use paddles - the paddle shifts are quite harsh when you are pushing the car. It gives a lot of transmission shock. Keep it in S mode - also u can try ECO + S mode.
Good info thats what I usually do is S mode and Eco at the Sametime, but since it's back to stock would you think it's fine to still use them since I'm assuming Hondas intentions were to let us do so?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good info thats what I usually do is S mode and Eco at the Sametime, but since it's back to stock would you think it's fine to still use them since I'm assuming Hondas intentions were to let us do so?
Stock, there's no combination of CVT transmission modes, button presses or paddle use that will damage anything. The transmission control module will protect things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's no combination of CVT transmission modes, button presses or paddle use that will damage anything. The transmission control module will protect things.
That's great to know! gtman do you have any tips for having more fun with the cvt?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Believe it or not, tuned, I mostly just use D and regulate my fun with the throttle. For me anyway, that's the sweet spot.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Believe it or not, tuned, I mostly just use D and regulate my fun with the throttle. For me anyway, that's the sweet spot.
Gotchya makes sense

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I

If you have an RMM there is no rough shift. I had the torque solutions one, transferred it to the R. I ran Phearable too, that could be a part of it as well.

Also don't let off the gas when you "shift" just keep it floored and "shift" up with the paddle. I used to let off the gas and try to get the car to act like a manual but it's much more efficient and better for the CVT to just keep the pedal down.

Now I will say that when in S^1, it is very awkward. It seemed like it would just grab all of a sudden around 2k rpm. So I never started from a stop with the paddles, I would get up to like 30mph then paddle down so I could start holding the RPM where I want it.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have an RMM there is no rough shift. I had the torque solutions one, transferred it to the R. I ran Phearable too, that could be a part of it as well.

Also don't let off the gas when you "shift" just keep it floored and "shift" up with the paddle. I used to let off the gas and try to get the car to act like a manual but it's much more efficient and better for the CVT to just keep the pedal down.

Now I will say that when in S^1, it is very awkward. It seemed like it would just grab all of a sudden around 2k rpm. So I never started from a stop with the paddles, I would get up to like 30mph then paddle down so I could start holding the RPM where I want it.
?? great info what do you mean by "have an RMM"

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rear motor mount.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

I agree on everything here. I used to let off the gas with each “up shift” but the CVT doesn’t like that. It’s much faster just keeping the pedal to the floor. S is also definitely for rolling. It’s so awkward from a stop.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree on everything here. I used to let off the gas with each “up shift” but the CVT doesn’t like that. It’s much faster just keeping the pedal to the floor. S is also definitely for rolling. It’s so awkward from a stop.
I was actually doing that now letting off, tonight I'm going to try just keeping it down. And what are your guys opinions on just letting rev out on the "shifting" mode

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was actually doing that now letting off, tonight I'm going to try just keeping it down. And what are your guys opinions on just letting rev out on the "shifting" mode
It'll auto shift when you get up near redline, it's super protective of the transmission

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While the CVT (tuned or not) will never be as fun as a manual, the paddles make it bearable. I use them 95% of the time. They're the only way of controlling revs and keeping revs elevated without gunning it. It really helps at low/med speeds like when going through town. Without paddles, I probably would've traded for a 6MT already. Cheers!