First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR LE, '23 718 GT4RS
Country flag
All Porsche RS cars are special and you can’t go wrong.:cool:

The 997 don’t rev as high (still plenty high). For peace of mind, I’d suggest getting the coolant pipes welded by a competent shop. Other than that, they are wonderful cars. They all offer something a little different. The newer cars are bigger but Porsche has done a great job keeping them as light as reasonable (my 911R weighs 3147 lbs with ~23 gallons of fuel!)

I look forward to the 992 GT3. From the reviews I have seen so far, it looks like it’ll be intense!
I'm amazed just how good the 992 GT3 is.

Normally, when a 991.2 GT3 leads our GT group in the mountains, i'm on the lead cars rear bumper easy. Coincidentally, it also explains why i am also on my 4th windshield on my RS (my car is the Miami Blue 991.2 below).

Back in October, my friend (who normally is lead car) picked up his new 992 and drove straight up to the mountains. It was almost if i was following another 991.2 RS. I had to increase my effort to keep up and not loose ground.

Honda Civic 10th gen (Fun & unusual?) Intro, just added a 2021 Type R 504F3C28-7B14-4797-AC2C-132A6276EC96
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
I'm amazed just how good the 992 GT3 is.

Normally, when a 991.2 GT3 leads our GT group in the mountains, i'm on the lead cars rear bumper easy. Coincidentally, it also explains why i am also on my 4th windshield on my RS (my car is the Miami Blue 991.2 below).

Back in October, my friend (who normally is lead car) picked up his new 992 and drove straight up to the mountains. It was almost if i was following another 991.2 RS. I had to increase my effort to keep up and not loose ground.

504F3C28-7B14-4797-AC2C-132A6276EC96.jpeg
I am having decent luck with windshield PPF. Wide sticky tires kick up lots of rocks!

Miami blue is awesome!

Blazin

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am having decent luck with windshield PPF. Wide sticky tires kick up lots of rocks!

Miami blue is awesome!
Thanks mate.
Must be hit or miss on windshield PPF.

After the first broken windshield my RS, i had my PPF guy professionally install windshield PPF.
It lasted one weekend in mountains (windshield still broke). Your're absolutely right, the big fat, hot Sport Cup 2s pick up and throw everything on the road.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks mate.
Must be hit or miss on windshield PPF.

After the first broken windshield my RS, i had my PPF guy professionally install windshield PPF.
It lasted one weekend in mountains (windshield still broke). Your're absolutely right, the big fat, hot Sport Cup 2s pick up and throw everything on the road.
Yeah, it helps but not 100% effective. Also, the thicker film introduces optical distortion. While it bothers my friend significantly, I am okay with it.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
As I learned many years ago riding sportbikes in the Texas Hill Country, the one way to avoid getting rock chips is to be the fast guy out in front!

More recently on car drives with friends in things like Viper ACRs etc we don't stay close too close to each other because we are definitely trying to not get our cars destroyed by rocks. We have nothing to prove at this point anyway.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As I learned many years ago riding sportbikes in the Texas Hill Country, the one way to avoid getting rock chips is to be the fast guy out in front!

More recently on car drives with friends in things like Viper ACRs etc we don't stay close too close to each other because we are definitely trying to not get our cars destroyed by rocks. We have nothing to prove at this point anyway.
While driving with other cars can be fun, I prefer to drive solo these days. I still do the occasional group drives.

For more serious driving, I keep those on the track.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Agree 100%. I only do backroad drives by myself or occasionally with one or two highly competent friends these days.

Blazin

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Certainly, drive at your comfort level and if your car's not protected, space out more.

A well protected car is certainly not going to get destroyed, save for a windshield once in while.
I'd bet 75% of the group i run with all have full PPF track wraps including headlights. The other 25% have full front clips and rockers PPF'd.

It's worth it to us.... since we're lucky to be able to enjoy the best driving roads in the country, if not world (arguably).

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
@TheGreekFreak Good ones don’t come up frequently. Expect premium price though.

997.1 GT3RS
I feel like these were going for like $120K just a few years back, with the GT3s selling in the $80K range. Was looking on BaT and saw orange 997 RS cars sell for a QUARTER MILL recently :eek:

I honestly can't keep up with Porsche GT inflation lol it's nuts.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel like these were going for like $120K just a few years back, with the GT3s selling in the $80K range. Was looking on BaT and saw orange 997 RS cars sell for a QUARTER MILL recently :eek:

Price wise, I think we are close to a short-term high. Inflation certainly isn’t helping. It’s tough as there are certainly cars that I felt like I missed the purchase window. I could have gotten a 675LT at a lower price earlier but didn’t act quickly enough. With few exceptions, I mostly look at it as “is it worth the current asking price given the enjoyment I expect to get”.

Good cars at good prices are out there. If you enjoy driving cars, the higher miles ones can be great buy. As long as they are maintained well, they can be better cars compared to the ones not driven.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

Just follow this thread... 997 Cars for Sale Each gen has a similar thread.

2-3 yrs ago, $80k would have been on the low end for a 997.1

997 RS's have gone nuts. 997 GT3's less so but still nuts. But the 997 gen is often regarded as the sweet spot. The 991s and 992s are certainly more capable but not necessarily better. The newer gens are certainly more expensive and were built in greater numbers (significantly so). The older gen (996) is also getting a lot of love but that gen, while a strong driver, is, err, aesthetically challenged. Who knows where these markets are going....

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
How did it compare with your 997?

These newer gens are obviously incredible and better all around but I still find myself lusting after a 997. A pure orange 997.1 GT3RS is about at the top of my dream car list, with a 997 GT3 not too far behind.

The newer ones just seem too big and a bit too refined in comparison. Also, I know PDK is amazing and makes more sense on these but give me the 6MT all day. Can't imagine more fun than heel toeing before blasting to 9K lol.
Tough to put it in words but... What makes the GT3 special is the engine. If the 997 is a 9, then the 991.2 (hard pass on the 991.1) is a 10 (maybe a 10+). But the limits in the newer cars are just so high and the car does so much for the driver that one feels that you are steering the car vs driving the car. The controls in the 991 are light and easy and the car could be a dd (especially without the LWB seats) but the 997 is more compromised and noticeably less dd capable.

Both are great - just different.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Mezger engine in the 997 is special. The 991 4.0L is also proving to be incredible. Probably only applies to Porsche fan, each generation has its own charm!

To most, they are all “just a 911”. :D
Sponsored