squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of selling my 2009 Miata in search of something more practical. I've also been doing less canyon runs partly because of time constraints and partly because I don't find them as entertaining as I once did.

With that said, the Miata is a bit too much for the kind of driving I do these days. I am probably going to get a base Golf or Civic hatchback sport and wanted to see if anyone here came from a similar background and whether settling for a Civic has been a regrettable decision.
Sponsored

burgermeister

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I came from an old 911 and a Saturn Astra. No canyon runs, but 12 years of track driving. I've driven a spec Miata on track and loved it.
I find the sport hatch to be ... ok. It feels weird and nonlinear when driven above 4/10ths. And I mean everything - throttle response, steering, braking, turn-in, track out, shifting ...
The Astra was slower, but otherwise a much better and more fun car.
One thing the Civic does well is you can throttle steer it just like an old 911, though the nannies cut the fun almost instantly.
I also find it a fantastic freeway car. Ride is great if you ditch the 18" wheels for 16's or 17's. It's quiet if you aren't on the throttle hard. Freeway gas mileage is unreal (38-39 at 80 MPH), but premium, so fuel cost is the same as anything else in that size.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I traded my 16 civic 1.5T for an GTI. Best decision I made in my life. I bought the civic back then mainly I was poor. Even with ktuner, the civic still not that fun for me. Now with the GTI, i smile everytime I hit that gas paddle. Flooring it on sport mode made my heart pumping crazy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my 16 civic 1.5T for an GTI. Best decision I made in my life. I bought the civic back then mainly I was poor. Even with ktuner, the civic still not that fun for me. Now with the GTI, i smile everytime I hit that gas paddle. Flooring it on sport mode made my heart pumping crazy.
Ironically, the few encounters I've had with newish GTI's were very close. One in particular was us side by side on an empty, curvy off ramp one morning... neck at neck at 95 mph and neither of us could pull on the other. The Phearable 1.5 tune especially is quite a few notches above the Ktuner 21 base tunes.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Ironically, the few encounters I've had with newish GTI's were very close. One in particular was us side by side on an empty, curvy off ramp one morning... neck at neck at 95 mph and neither of us could pull on the other. The Phearable 1.5 tune especially is quite a few notches above the Ktuner 21 base tunes.
Do you know what tune does the GTI used?
Sponsored