cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
With right at 100 miles on my 1 week old 2020 Si sedan I curbed the freaking right rear wheel!!! After bringing my blood pressure back down to earth I surveyed the damage. Not terrible, just some rash damage along with the outer lip. We have a alloy wheel repair vendor where I work that is repairing it as I type this but he said, depending on the paint, the touch up spots might be 5-10% shinier or duller than the surrounding OEM matte paint. I'm really crossing my fingers that it is a match that is imperceptible to my eye but if it is not, I may buy a new wheel next month from Bernardi Honda parts, it's around $260 I think. If I decide to be that OCD if the paint match isn't perfect, would it be possible to mount my full size 18" wheel/tire in the truck as a full spare?
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
There is a spare tire kit available in other parts of the world, but I believe it's a "donut" style tire/wheel. If you were to put a full size spare wheel/tire in the trunk I believe it would lift the floor of the trunk a bit. If you use the search... you'll find a few members here have purchased the spare tire kit pieces and put them in. But I'm not aware of anyone actually documenting the results of putting a full size in there.

Maybe give it a shot and let us know?

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I've thought about adding a full sized spare to my trunk by cutting a piece of plywood to size and figuring out a way to mount it in there so it and a jack wouldn't bounce around. Then I thought about safety in the event of a rear end crash... While I know this could be an issue with any trunk mounted spare, since it's not really built for it, I had waking nightmares of getting rear-ended and the wheel, jack, or plywood holder coming through the back seat and taking out my kids.

I really don't like that I don't have a spare tire but I like my kids enough to not take that chance.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully it won't come to this and the wheel repair looks perfect (to me)!

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Nooo! My heart hurts for you! Im glad you got it repaired!

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nooo! My heart hurts for you! Im glad you got it repaired!
Not as bad as it could have been but I was still making up new cuss words when I heard it. lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen Full spare tire set up in the truck of a 2020 Si sedan 90C53D7F-42DA-4D62-B5CC-599CBC0C10EC

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I share your pain. I swear, these 10th gen rims poke out further than the tires and actively look for any opportunity to rub a curb :mad:
Even getting the Canadian temporary spare kit will require foam spacers that will raise the trunk floor, so I'm guessing attempting to fit a whole full-size wheel in there will likely halve your trunk space.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Crisis averted as the wheel was fixed to where my eye at a few inches away can see no difference.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Just wondering?.... The Sport Touring model comes with spare tire and it looks like in videos that the floor platform has those foam spacers on the bottom side. Does anyone think that maybe you could just order a spare tire and floor for the Sport Touring model? At least the spare tire should fit I don't know about the floor and maybe you could just add your own foam blocks or something to the existing SI trunk floor?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just wondering?.... The Sport Touring model comes with spare tire and it looks like in videos that the floor platform has those foam spacers on the bottom side. Does anyone think that maybe you could just order a spare tire and floor for the Sport Touring model? At least the spare tire should fit I don't know about the floor and maybe you could just add your own foam blocks or something to the existing SI trunk floor?
You're talking about raising the trunk floor + adding a temporary tire kit in an Si? Yes, this is completely possible and in fact is how all the Canadian models come from the factory. However, I'm guessing the hatch has slightly different dimensions than the Si and their foam spacers might not fit in a sedan/coupe.

segfault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2006 Mitsubishi Evo
Country flag
I tossed a full size spare in my trunk, but not in any nice fitted way. I just literally tossed it into the trunk corner. Doesn't move around, but you do lose a good deal of trunk space. So trying to put something large in there can become a pain.

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will stick with the donut as My Kicker Solobaric 12" is eating my trunk space.....

MKD

First Name
michial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic sport, 2020 HR-V, 2010 Prius
Country flag
If the width of the full size spare is a problem, would a narrower spare, say a 135/70R18 for a 2020 sport w/18" rims be better than the compact spare ?

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
If the width of the full size spare is a problem, would a narrower spare, say a 135/70R18 for a 2020 sport w/18" rims be better than the compact spare ?
...... I don't own one yet but I would guess that the rim/tire you are talking about would be too large in circumference to fit in the trunk well. Maybe if you had a smaller rim like 15" that is not wide and a appropriate tire on it. Someone needs to measure this trunk well for diameter and depth.
Sponsored