full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

JohnnyOHonda

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Could you tell me where you got the spacers? I drive the Pioneer sub mentioned earlier by the OP with Alpine MRV-M500 mono, and while it sounds way better than factory, I am looking for something more.
Here is the wood spacer I used. Some are made of plastic, this one is made of wood. I preferred the wood but you probably have to be careful not to crack it when you drill the holes. I also used a ring of Noico 80mm (like dynamat) to “bond” it to the speaker and to the subwoofer box for good bonding. I think I only needed one for the Alpine Type R subwoofer.

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 053616E9-04A9-4C9E-B4B4-FCA7EDDDCEF2
Sponsored

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
I didn’t wire it myself but you take the two wires that go to the tweeter as the input and then just take the tweeter output to your JL Audio tweeters. In my case, I preferred using the -3db switch but it’s easy to go from -3 or to 0 or to +2 just by changing the little connection inside the crossover. I didn’t use the woofer output at all. I’ll double check with my installer tomorrow, he’s working on a different car of mine tomorrow.
Thanks

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
So went ahead and installed the center speaker and deadened the trunk. Wanted to wait on the sub until I heard what the center speaker does. Well I can say just the center speaker makes a big difference. The vocals on music are much clearer and can get loud without losing that clarity. Much better than stock.

I deadened just the bottom/floor of the trunk and left the sides and it definitely makes a difference in road noise. Its much easier for a passenger to hear me in the back seat, which was a problem before (Though my tires might also be a bigger part of the problem noise wise). The bass is louder too just from that on the stock sub. My wife actually thinks its too loud already haha.

If anyone is interested I have an unused JL C2-350X for the center speaker (they come in pairs) and 2.5 sheets of Noico Left. It took me 1.5 sheets or so to do the trunk so you could do that and have some left for doors. PM if you are interested.

JohnnyOHonda

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
The control knob is the one that comes with the Rockford 1 channel sub amplifier.

ians - I confirmed that passive crossover was connected to the tweeter wires and then to the JL Audio tweeter. I set it to -3db, you may want it brighter than that.

Agree with Caribou that matting the trunk helps with road noise. If you added the an amp with the Alpine Type R 8” (or something high quality that needs 0.30 cubic feet in the stock sub area), you’ll get addicted to the improved bass real quick.

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah I will do it at some point. Just wait until I have the time to do install.

Glad the knob is black. When I went to order the rockford kit it was silver on the site so maybe its an old pic.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
Here is the wood spacer I used. Some are made of plastic, this one is made of wood. I preferred the wood but you probably have to be careful not to crack it when you drill the holes. I also used a ring of Noico 80mm (like dynamat) to “bond” it to the speaker and to the subwoofer box for good bonding. I think I only needed one for the Alpine Type R subwoofer.
Thanks for the links and the pics. Very helpful. I might try this speaker before going bananas with a cu$tom enclosure.

Last edited:

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
The control knob is the one that comes with the Rockford 1 channel sub amplifier.

ians - I confirmed that passive crossover was connected to the tweeter wires and then to the JL Audio tweeter. I set it to -3db, you may want it brighter than that.

Agree with Caribou that matting the trunk helps with road noise. If you added the an amp with the Alpine Type R 8” (or something high quality that needs 0.30 cubic feet in the stock sub area), you’ll get addicted to the improved bass real quick.
Thanks. So do you know how they secure the crossover? drill it to the door panel? double side tape it? It is kind of heavy

JohnnyOHonda

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Against the Civic Type R 0.30 cubic foot sub enclosure use 8”x 0.75” MDF sub mounting spacer (picture above). I sandwiched it between 2 Noico rings (like Dynamat) which I used an exacto knife to match the spacer to fully seal.

I used the AudioControl 2ci ahead of the amp. Use the rear door speakers, not the sub wires. The sub line isn’t full range. The 2ci will sum both sides, give you a clean signal and also give you flexibility in the sub adjustment. I crossed over around 80 hz.

The Alpine Type-R SWR8D4 is a dual voice coil sub rated at 4 ohms each and being wired in parallel to be a net 2 ohms load. It’s rated RMS at 350 watts and 1,000 watts peak which is a nice match for the Rockford Fosgate T500x1bd amp which is rated for 500 watts at 2 ohms.

The Alpine sub is super high quality. And the grille matches the car (Type R!). Here are some stats from Crutchfield.
  • 8" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
  • Kevlar reinforced pulp cone with HAMR Santoprene rubber surround
  • frequency response: 30-200 Hz
  • power handling: 150-350 watts RMS (175 watts per coil)
  • peak power: 1,000 watts
  • sensitivity: 83.5 dB
  • top-mount depth: 4-1/2"
  • sealed box volume: 0.15-0.50 cu. ft.
  • ported box volume: 0.25-0.70 cu. ft.
  • grille not included
  • warranty: 1 year
You might wonder about the frequency response but all I can tell you is that I’m totally happy with the depth and power of the sub. Couple of reference points: I use an SVS 3000 in a medium sized room (12’ x 17’) and so I do enjoy my bass and at an Apple Watch volume of 97db on all types of music, the bass is great and my ears are giving up before I have any interest I turning up the bass more or making it any louder.

Ians - not sure how my installer did it but he put the crossover for the JL C2 650 separates by the passenger footwell for relatively easy access to the box (which allowed me to change the tweeter setting to -3db fairly easy...still had him open it up though).

I just wish I could get this bass into my new Miata which is my current project....very tough with the small space available.

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 8AFCE33F-F69B-48EB-AF0E-8CFF90D150B4

Last edited:

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the AudioControl 2ci ahead of the amp. Use the rear door speakers, not the sub wires. The sub line isn’t full range. The 2ci will sum both sides, give you a clean signal and also give you flexibility in the sub adjustment. I crossed over around 80 hz.
Thanks for the info again. I have front door speakers and the sub signals connected to my Alpine MRV-M500 (500Wrms @ 2 ohms) and also has the remote (handy for tuning). All I need now is a good speaker. If the Alpine works well in this tiny enclosure I will be a happy camper.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is the wood spacer I used. Some are made of plastic, this one is made of wood. I preferred the wood but you probably have to be careful not to crack it when you drill the holes.
How did you install the speaker on the spacer? Did you align with the holes in the enclosure and mount right through, or did you first mount the spaced to the enclosure and then separately mount the speaker to the ring? Sorry... never had to install a speaker on a spacer before and curious what works best. Thanks.

JohnnyOHonda

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
How did you install the speaker on the spacer? Did you align with the holes in the enclosure and mount right through, or did you first mount the spaced to the enclosure and then separately mount the speaker to the ring? Sorry... never had to install a speaker on a spacer before and curious what works best. Thanks.
Sorry to say I don’t know...didn’t install it myself. Here are some close up pics that might give you some clues.

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 2B303698-6CD9-4433-9736-B657ACF52323

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 072A0D8C-CE9E-4B2B-928E-E30AD13B7316

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 278C2B08-3F3D-4DEC-A9AA-791D01B128E0

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to say I don’t know...didn’t install it myself. Here are some close up pics that might give you some clues.
Thanks for the pics. Found the answer earlier in the thread. OP did this same thing with a 1" spacer.
Sponsored