full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any way you can make the pics available for us non Facebook users? :bow:
Not sure, there are over 60 pics with detailed step by step and tips. Don’t know how to do it other than FB and even they made me out into an album lol.
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Well, I pulled the trigger on a full Sub/Amp upgrade. Earlier than I wanted to, but I realized that me waiting was arbitrary on when I have time to do this.

I just mimicked @ctrmofo, as RF amps have always been in any car I've upgraded, and the available subs that would fit the existing enclosure, I had no real opinion... so I went with what someone has already reported as "awesome". I'm expecting great things!

All in all, the speaker, sub, and parts/installation bits I'll need to do this came out to $566. Central speaker upgrade was $96 that I've already received today. So all in all I spent $662. I haven't spent this much money on a sound system in a long time, but it's also the least I've spent on sound since I'll be doing the installation myself. My last project that was a sub/amp/fronts+tweeters in my 2006 Si was much more at ~$1200 installed. Even when I get to swapping the door speakers, I don't think I'll even come close to that cost.

Thanks again for the write-up ctrmofo, that's honestly saving me a lot of money and headache of having to trust a shop to do it. And got me moving on making a decision on what I should do with the sound in here instead of grousing about it daily.

I should get it all Saturday, so I'll likely just forgo my Sunday plans and get it done along with a couple of other things I've been procrastinating on (like the camera I've had).

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I pulled the trigger on a full Sub/Amp upgrade. Earlier than I wanted to, but I realized that me waiting was arbitrary on when I have time to do this.

I just mimicked @ctrmofo, as RF amps have always been in any car I've upgraded, and the available subs that would fit the existing enclosure, I had no real opinion... so I went with what someone has already reported as "awesome". I'm expecting great things!

All in all, the speaker, sub, and parts/installation bits I'll need to do this came out to $566. Central speaker upgrade was $96 that I've already received today. So all in all I spent $662. I haven't spent this much money on a sound system in a long time, but it's also the least I've spent on sound since I'll be doing the installation myself. My last project that was a sub/amp/fronts+tweeters in my 2006 Si was much more at ~$1200 installed. Even when I get to swapping the door speakers, I don't think I'll even come close to that cost.

Thanks again for the write-up ctrmofo, that's honestly saving me a lot of money and headache of having to trust a shop to do it. And got me moving on making a decision on what I should do with the sound in here instead of grousing about it daily.

I should get it all Saturday, so I'll likely just forgo my Sunday plans and get it done along with a couple of other things I've been procrastinating on (like the camera I've had).
good job! you can recoup half of the center speaker package by pairing up with someone to split 50/50 since parts for that install come in pairs and only need one of each item. get $50 back ;-) everyone doing center channel is taking that advice. your net will then be $662 - $50 = $612...bonus!

do the center channel first since it'll take you no more than 15-30 mins if you're ocd like me. to see the big difference: 1) have your audio settings however you normally like it, 2) play a song with stock center, 3) leave all settings same and swap out the center speaker, and 4) play that same song again with same settings and see what i mean.

reason why center makes a big difference is because stock speaker is 1-way and replacement jl c2-350x is 2-way speaker.

have fun and post questions here or on fb group (faster response there btw with notifications) and happy to help if you run into any issues. just be patient and plan your install process...no need to rush!

ps - i just pulled trigger and spend $325 on 55 sq ft of soundskins deadening material and $750 on 4 jl tweeters and 4 jl mids for the doors plus parts. for me it's been $550 + $325 + $750 = $1625 and in end will have 10 of 12 channels upgraded...just want to conquer something and prove it ;-)

chingonR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #1592, 2015 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Just changing sub is simple with couple gotchas if you use the Pioneer I used:

Install:

1. remove and disconnect the + and - wires from stock speaker

2. cut the spade plugs off the stock wire ends inside the enclosure

3. crimp a small length of speaker wire to extend it

4. connect to new sub and install sub

See pic.

Gotchas:

1. The Pioneer comes with dual voice coils each 2 ohm so needs to be wired parallel (1 ohm) or series (4 ohms).

2. Stock amp drives only 2 ohm loads.

3. If you wire the sub in 1 ohm, it works with stock amp to a limit. You’ll get about 20-25% improvement, but at high volume/current pull for say 10-15 mins, the HU will shut down due to too much current being pulled by a lower load of 1 ohm.

4. If you wire the sub in 4 ohm, it works, BUT the stock amp now sees a higher load and will cut the sub volume by about half.

Solution if you just want to change sub only and don’t install separate amp like I did:

1. Get a different low profile (less than 3-5/8” top mount depth) sub with an net 2 ohm load.

2. Use the Pioneer and install separate amp with high level input that is also the remote turn on signal for the amp. Therefore, the RF amp was why I chose for this functionality.

407DA1E4-1222-4574-B12D-29C71022FD72.jpeg
For #4 above, sub with no amp: Wiring the Pioneer in 4 ohm is there an improvement over stock? Same as stock or worse than stock sub?

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
good job! you can recoup half of the center speaker package by pairing up with someone to split 50/50 since parts for that install come in pairs and only need one of each item. get $50 back ;-) everyone doing center channel is taking that advice. your net will then be $662 - $50 = $612...bonus!
I was planning on selling the duplicates any ways, but hey if anyone is interested... I'll likely post in the classifieds too, tomorrow. *Likely taken!*

And I got all the parts for the centers, now I'm just waiting on the rest! Realized I forgot splices for the sub/amp work, so I've got to track some down. Tackling the centers tomorrow.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For #4 above, sub with no amp: Wiring the Pioneer in 4 ohm is there an improvement over stock? Same as stock or worse than stock sub?
It would be worse than stock cuz amp cuts sub volume by half. You’ll get 1/2 less sub bass.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was planning on selling the duplicates any ways, but hey if anyone is interested... I'll likely post in the classifieds too, tomorrow.

And I got all the parts for the centers, now I'm just waiting on the rest! Realized I forgot splices for the sub/amp work, so I've got to track some down. Tackling the centers tomorrow.
Use the parallel wire splices like I used, blue ones you can grab at Lowe’s. Makes for clean install vs T tap splice which has a spade plug 90 degs to the spliced wire.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I was planning on selling the duplicates any ways, but hey if anyone is interested... I'll likely post in the classifieds too, tomorrow.

Sent you a PM. I’ll take your extra parts if you’re selling. Thanks!

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok guys, my new kicker 43cwrt82 (dual voice coil 2 ohm, to be wired to 1 ohm) 8" sub is arriving tomorrow for another review. it's a quick swap out for the pioneer which is sold. will post an update for you.

the jl c2-075ct tweeters and jl c2-650x mids for all 4 doors are arriving monday so will do install and review by end of next week.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone happen to know the max mounting depth of the front door speakers? I'm looking at a setup that is the same brand I run downstairs in my dedicated audio room but don't want to spend this much money to get speakers that won't fit. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone happen to know the max mounting depth of the front door speakers? I'm looking at a setup that is the same brand I run downstairs in my dedicated audio room but don't want to spend this much money to get speakers that won't fit. Much appreciated!
will find out in a few days and take measurements for you. most 6.5" will fit fine given they don't come with ginormous magnets for 6.5" speakers. check crutchfield for now and use fitment tool. it'll give you a sense for speaker depths that will fit. i'll confirm and post.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, never mind that. Was going to do Dynaudio but just happened to find a set of Focal KIT165R (going for $899 on other sites, $999 on some) for $380 on Amazon, brand new. Done. Got the door adapters, wiring adapters, and the backing insulation things which I'll cut the bottom of the back out of, per another thread here, to go with them. Not sure, but I might put one of those pads behind the speakers as well.

I'll do the center later.

Last edited:

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm such a dork. Got an 8" MB Quart shallow, DVC 4-ohm sub coming. $50 after discount from Walmart. Will be interesting to A/B against stock, with stock power at 2 ohm.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For evidence of my passion for audio, here's my room downstairs. The pic doesn't show how many hours went into perfecting this setup to get the imaging and staging I do, nor does it show the level and quality of vinyl in that rack, but it's a start ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers m86STTq

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, never mind that. Was going to do Dynaudio but just happened to find a set of Focal KIT165R (going for $899 on other sites, $999 on some) for $380 on Amazon, brand new. Done. Got the door adapters, wiring adapters, and the backing insulation things which I'll cut the bottom of the back out of, per another thread here, to go with them. Not sure, but I might put one of those pads behind the speakers as well.

I'll do the center later.
Nice! Should do sound deadening while panel is off. Door handles inside and outside will rattle for sure.
Sponsored