full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
here's my full writeup and install tip for the kicker 43cwrt82 (dual voice coil 2 ohms wired in parallel to be 1 ohm load)...enjoy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Decided to whip out my carbon fiber autoclave machine I have in basement and formed my own CF plaque just like that! LoL

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers 62D57FC5-1CBE-49B8-AD4F-CA8FC30FC436

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers AB60C154-2B93-4822-9B1F-EFE29C6A9411

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question for you, how are you feeding tunes into your radio? I'm Honda hacked so I'm using double twist pro to play albums in FLAC from my USB drive. Sounds decent enough, but I guess I'm not certain the radio is actually playing the full bitrate without any weird transcoding to lossy behind the scenes. Not a major deal, this isn't a Bentley-quiet car, but just curious how others are doing it.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question for you, how are you feeding tunes into your radio? I'm Honda hacked so I'm using double twist pro to play albums in FLAC from my USB drive. Sounds decent enough, but I guess I'm not certain the radio is actually playing the full bitrate without any weird transcoding to lossy behind the scenes. Not a major deal, this isn't a Bentley-quiet car, but just curious how others are doing it.
I use CarPlay so I’m either listening to my iTunes AAC songs resident on iPhone X or Spotify 320 kpbs streaming service. Crystal clear either way. I never play music in cars via BT which is way compressed.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NOTE: After some test of really deep frequencies and high volume to generate max cone throws, happy to report the Kicker sub's front face does NOT hit the back side of the stock grille like the Pioneer did causing occasional rattles. Reason being the Kicker has a concave face vs Pioneer's flat face/cone cover. Mfgers make these covers for aesthetics only and has no impact on performance.

There is no need to remove/shave down the back side of the stock grill. However, I did use some foam insulation tape around the ring of the back side of the grille just to be safe. It's all good now :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock tweeters have 57.70 mm OD and 38.18 mm ID mounting rings which are removable. I’ll find out later this week if the JL C2-075ct tweeters on the way will require an adapter ring to fit properly.

Update: Looks like the JL tweeters will fit fine inside as behind stock rings for a stock look.

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers ECCF57DC-1FEA-4A75-B423-B0100676EF2B

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers BC4BA134-C85D-4611-8B30-4ABA09954B32

Last edited:

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tweeters are in. A substantial improvement to my ears - they are softer, more delicate in their presentation but they have no problems howling on some prog metal. Waiting for sound deadening to get here to do woofers in the doors and it looks like I've got a dance partner for half of his JL Audio 3 1/2 center project, so that should be in along with the subwoofer by the weekend. All told, it'll be less than $600 for everything. These Focal K2 165s are pretty badass, I have to say.

Installed:
Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers NztMuckh

Install method:
Lots of hot glue, had to figure out how to take the tweets out of their surface mount cups but I was way overthinking it:
Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers bymuWDKh

Decent enough fit:
Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers vN8XoMJh

Back in their sails:
Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers Y5mqukbh

Midwoofers for later:
Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers CQnfjP1h

Honda Civic 10th gen full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers b3DGKcoh

Figured out I didn't have enough butt splices of the appropriate size around the house so I just soldered and heatshrunk everything. Took longer, but I'm happy with it being done correctly. I have harness adapters for the woofers so that should be simpler.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tweeters are in. A substantial improvement to my ears - they are softer, more delicate in their presentation but they have no problems howling on some prog metal. Waiting for sound deadening to get here to do woofers in the doors and it looks like I've got a dance partner for half of his JL Audio 3 1/2 center project, so that should be in along with the subwoofer by the weekend. All told, it'll be less than $600 for everything. These Focal K2 165s are pretty badass, I have to say.

Figured out I didn't have enough butt splices of the appropriate size around the house so I just soldered and heatshrunk everything. Took longer, but I'm happy with it being done correctly. I have harness adapters for the woofers so that should be simpler.
so the stock tweeter rings just pop out? do you have pics of the stock tweeters themselves without the ring?

i figured the jl c2-075ct i'm going with will work just fine with stock rings.

great job!

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They do! The rings themselves are held in with three clips to the sail panel. Take those out and you have the whole stock tweeter assembly. Two more clips and the stock tweeter comes off the trim ring and that's that, once you get it apart, it's all very obvious. I didn't take pics but trust me, you'll figure it out in no time.

I only had to undo one fastener near the sail panel to get it out. So, so glad I bought a trim removal tool kit on Amazon. Best $9 I've spent on this car.

paikman

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F80 M3, 1993 240sx
Country flag
Are you going to be running unamped for the new speakers up front?

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, at least for now. I just don't want to take everything apart to run wiring and such for something that I'm only marginally interested in changing. At that point, the time, money, and potential risk of doing something stupid to the car (trust me, I've not had a great track record in my projects so far - I think I'm trying too hard to be perfect) outweighs what I'm expecting from the stereo. If I'm annoyed with it for some reason, I'll turn it off, open the window and slam the throttle ;)

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, at least for now. I just don't want to take everything apart to run wiring and such for something that I'm only marginally interested in changing. At that point, the time, money, and potential risk of doing something stupid to the car (trust me, I've not had a great track record in my projects so far - I think I'm trying too hard to be perfect) outweighs what I'm expecting from the stereo. If I'm annoyed with it for some reason, I'll turn it off, open the window and slam the throttle ;)
same here...stock amp plenty good enough for 11 channels. new amp for sub only works best. $1650 total spend for me to replace 9 of 11 stock speakers, 1 sub, and 1 amp for sub is the most i want to spend.

real music is when i hit 12 psi boost and the grp exhaust valve opens plus some pops when i hit the hondata anti-lag button building boost quickly...wheee!
Sponsored