full review, writeup, and installation steps: ctr subs, amp, center channel, and door speakers

Iceyankee-Tsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Hi ebatr24:

How do you like the kicker key? Did they achieved better overall bass? Did you use the tuning feature? How you like it overall?

Just did the sub-amp combo with great results but I am still looking to improve the front output. I but JL C2-650 components up front with very little improvement.

Thanks!

Those appear to be 3ohm speakers, I am sure they will sound great and potentially be louder than the stock speakers because of the lower impedance. Just make sure you add some dynamat to the speaker mounts to at least cut some resonance and get better sound. At higher volumes there might be slight distortion because of them being 3ohm but you might not even play them that loud so it likely won't be an issue. I would just buy the LC2i separately, it is not too expensive. I believe some of the more spendy amps can clean up the signal like an LC2i but you will usually pay more money. You can't fit a super big sub in the stock enclosure even with a spacer though, so I don't think you need too much power. I went with the Kicker CompR 8 inch and a spacer I got from Amazon to mount it, my amp is really powerful but I have it turned down because it is way too much power for that little sub. I also went with the JL audio C2 650 components and running them off a small Kicker Key amp under the seat for the front speakers.

IMG_20191121_195717.jpg
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi ebatr24:

How do you like the kicker key? Did they achieved better overall bass? Did you use the tuning feature? How you like it overall?

Just did the sub-amp combo with great results but I am still looking to improve the front output. I but JL C2-650 components up front with very little improvement.

Thanks!
The Kicker Key so far is great, gave the JL Audio C2 650s enough juice to really get loud and sound crystal clear. There is a negative but I am not sure if it really matters. I haven't been able to run the auto tuning setup because of the poor weather and not being able to get a quiet enough environment. The rain causes enough sound that makes the auto tuning error out for too much ambient sound. I am not sure about how I currently have it set up though, according to the manual I am supposed to have 1 signal coming in and 4 going out to the respective speakers and tweeters in order for the amp to work in bi-amp mode. The only problem I run into is that the stock amp already separates the signal for the tweeters and woofers, so I can't run the amp in bi-amp mode (if I do I lose all woofer sound). I am not sure if this will make the auto tuning feature not work when I finally get it quiet enough to use the auto tuning. It still sounds great even without using the Kicker tuning feature yet, I like that I didn't have to run another amp kit either for it and that it is so small it fit under the seat perfectly.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So Viper4Andriod is kind of like an amp? You can adjust the Equalizer settings? You've used it before?
Viper4Android is an EQ for android, since the headunit is an android based headunit it will give you more control to tweak the sound than the stock settings allow. You can get much more bass out of the stock system with it, and you can tweak the EQ to sound better for the type of music you listen to. Your mileage may vary though, I listen to a variety of music but have it tuned to get the most out of it for rap and hip hop.

SlasherX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 11 Honda Civic Si *Mugen*
Country flag
Viper4Android is an EQ for android, since the headunit is an android based headunit it will give you more control to tweak the sound than the stock settings allow. You can get much more bass out of the stock system with it, and you can tweak the EQ to sound better for the type of music you listen to. Your mileage may vary though, I listen to a variety of music but have it tuned to get the most out of it for rap and hip hop.

Do you have any pictures of what you have it tuned too?

That's the same genre of music I listen too.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have any pictures of what you have it tuned too?

That's the same genre of music I listen too.
I can take a pic, but since I replaced my speakers and have an amp going to the fronts now, I tuned the highs to be really flat since they were a little over powering. I just increased the bass for the most part now, when I had the stock speakers it was different. You should just set it up and play with what sounds good to your ear

VypeR

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typer
Country flag
If I just want to replace the front door speakers, do I need anything extra other than the speakers? Are they plug and play as long as the size is correct?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I just want to replace the front door speakers, do I need anything extra other than the speakers? Are they plug and play as long as the size is correct?
You'll want adapters, wire harness adapters, and some foam tape for a good tight fit

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

VypeR

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typer
Country flag
Amazon
Crutchfield will include it with purchase
Sorry to be a pain, I don’t know much about speaker wiring. The only thing I was able to find on amazon were amp kits. I was planning on using stock amp and just replacing the speakers. Can you link me to the specific adapters I’ll need? https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-46CSC654 this is the speaker set I was going to buy if that helps

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ibhave the same question too.
From what I heard... we need to spite two wires together .. and thats all

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
It's a little more complicated than that. It may end up sounding worse than stock. Your new component speaker will have a crossover. The factory speakers have the crossover built into the audio unit. Crossover frequency and equalization are optimized for the (crappy) factory speakers. So you'll be stuck with the same settings. Best is to use an Audiocontrol or Audison (or other) unit to sum up and normalize the signal. But you will need an amp as well.

Bernz1973

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R (RR), 2016 Honda Accord Sport 6MT, 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry to revive an old thread. Does the factory headunit/amp exhibit full range/flat frequency signal?

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag