Full Civic Type R specs (Euro model) revealed!

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I will guess 1/4 mile as 13.2-13.5
Na thats too fast. Old CTR was at 14.1ish. This new CTR will be 13.5 to 14.0

I'd bet a good tune would change the 0-60 by quite a bit. Someone shared a link for a company claiming they can add 40hp and I think even more torque just with a tune. That should be enough to hit 60 in second depending on what they change to get the added power considering how close they were in the video.
Agree with above post.... Tune wont help 0-60 at all. Want to help that, get slicks.
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
So I guess the FK8 shock damping in +R mode is softer than that of the FK2? Only a 15% increase in firmness from Sport to +R, as opposed to I believe 30% increase for the FK2.

Also, if the ride is truly comfortable in comfort mode, then the springs were probably softened up too. No matter how soft you set shock damping, if the springs are too stiff, the ride will still be rough.

This is in line with a comment from one of the Instagram videos stating that the FK8 in +R mode is comfy and even more plush than the ride in the Focus RS. And pretty much every FK2 review stated that the ride was hard as hell in +R mode and you can clearly see Steve Sutcliffe's whole body bouncing up and down in some of the driving test videos on YouTube.
I believe the press info said the sport mode was stiffer than the FK2 standard mode.

I don't think Honda necessarily softened up the springs. Better dampers could contribute to a smoother ride.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I'll bet its a smidge heavier. No moonroof on the R, but a slightly bigger engine (but I don't know how the K and L blocks compare), more bodywork, heavier wheels and brakes, and that third exhaust pipe.
I think a lot of people forget that a lot of the reinforced parts specific to the CTR are heavier. For example, front and rear suspension weighs more than the base.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Wow, really cool stuff on the adaptive suspension....

--------

Adaptive Damper System

The all-new Civic Type R features a revised four-wheel Adaptive Damper System that delivers superior ride quality and exceptional road holding performance. The system incorporates upgraded shock absorber units, which are now of a three-chamber design, giving a much wider range of variability for the damping force.

Continuous independent control of the damping force in all four dampers is activated by adjusting the current sent to electromagnetic coils inside the dampers, using feedback from a suite of three G-sensors around the car.

These G-sensors ā€“ one on each side of the car at the base of the A-pillars, and one just forward of the rear axle ā€“ and stroke sensors on the suspension of each wheel, monitor the carā€™s status in real-time. The current to the electromagnetic coils inside the dampers is adjusted in milliseconds, altering the oil flow channels and thereby controlling the damping force. Existing lateral G, steering angle and brake pressure sensors also form part of the system.

The revised three-chamber dampers enable a significant improvement in the variability of damping force in both the tension and compression strokes of the suspension, which has facilitated the addition of a much softer ā€˜Comfortā€™ setting in the Civic Type Rā€™s selectable driving modes.

A logic tuned specifically to the Type Rā€™s unique suspension and tyres delivers independent control of each wheel, improving contact with the road surface (including on uneven surfaces), maintaining high levels of traction at all speeds. This ensures sharp handling and stability during cornering at higher speeds, limiting body roll. The damping force is increased further in the revised +R mode [see section 5 below].
If these shocks are anything like the magna ride shocks in the MDX Elite I can tell you they will be fairly pricey to change out when the time comes.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
So I guess the FK8 shock damping in +R mode is softer than that of the FK2? Only a 15% increase in firmness from Sport to +R, as opposed to I believe 30% increase for the FK2.

Also, if the ride is truly comfortable in comfort mode, then the springs were probably softened up too. No matter how soft you set shock damping, if the springs are too stiff, the ride will still be rough.

This is in line with a comment from one of the Instagram videos stating that the FK8 in +R mode is comfy and even more plush than the ride in the Focus RS. And pretty much every FK2 review stated that the ride was hard as hell in +R mode and you can clearly see Steve Sutcliffe's whole body bouncing up and down in some of the driving test videos on YouTube.
Then prob I'll wait and get an FK2R if it gets to 20k.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Then prob I'll wait and get an FK2R if it gets to 20k.
Yea although (in general, up to a point), stiffer is better for spirited driving, I understand that most people want a compromise to make the ride as comfortable as possible while having the car perform great. Except me (and probably a few others). I'm a stiff junkie and as a driver, having a firm ride makes the driving experience more engaging and enjoyable (like driving a tight go-kart). Of course it would suck for the passenger lol.

This car was tuned for the Nurburgring which has lots of bumps and undulations. And chances are, a stiffer suspension would probably be better anyway, for other normal racetracks in which most people participate.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Stiffer isn't always better, its the suspension that soaks up bumps with out upsetting the chassis is what gives driver confidence. I dont know about newer hondas but history says hondas in general are too overdamped.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
This caR is seriously impressive.

Lots of tech (like the active brake management) has trickled down from the NSX.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I believe the press info said the sport mode was stiffer than the FK2 standard mode.

I don't think Honda necessarily softened up the springs. Better dampers could contribute to a smoother ride.
Also the chassis is noticeably more rigid than FK2, that also contributes to a better ride.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Seems worthwhile to add in a couple of additional quotes from the the EU PDF just released to clarify the FK8's ride stiffness relative to its predecessor:

New Comfort mode is not only ideal for rough road surfaces, but is also a more secure
configuration when driving on choppy, undulating motorway surfaces at higher speeds.
While there are now far greater differences between the damping forces of each driving
mode, improvements in the calibration of all three settings mean that new Type R feels
more connected to the road at all times, helping to deliver a more secure and engaging
driving experience.

Sport mode remains the default setting when starting the vehicle. It offers a blend of
comfort and dynamic response that corresponds approximately to a midpoint
between the previous Type Rā€™s standard and +R modes.....The +R mode remains the choice for track driving.
Damping force from the new fourwheel Adaptive Damper System in +R mode is
increased by 15% over Sport mode.
A common myth out there is that stiffer always = better as far as vehicle handling goes but that is far from true. If you are not driving on a glass-smooth track, an overly stiff suspension will result in too much loss of adhesion and even tire contact as the car bounces over small undulations, giving slower lap times. Ford's Focus RS Nordschleife runs were done not in that car's stiffest track damper setting but in the "everyday" setting for just this reason, and most reviewers found the stiffer setting useless and too unpleasant to tolerate on anything but high-grade tracks. Of course the FoRS was built off a relatively old platform; with the much more rigid chasses common to the latest generation of cars (thanks to the use of more ultra-high strength steel, etc.), engineers are no longer forced to try and compensate for substantial and unwanted body flex by overcooking the spring and damper rates, resulting in a better ride without any decrease in a vehicle's handling prowess.

One other interesting tidbit I haven't seen anyone mention yet - the rev-matching can be toggled on or off in any of the driving modes. Nice - BMW does not offer that flexibility, only its track mode turns it off.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
The +R mode is not that stiff. Compared to a race car. Keep in mind that the springs/spring rate will remain the same.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
You guys will be suprised, it's really comfortable.

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
A common myth out there is that stiffer always = better as far as vehicle handling goes but that is far from true. If you are not driving on a glass-smooth track, an overly stiff suspension will result in too much loss of adhesion and even tire contact as the car bounces over small undulations, giving slower lap times.
:agree:
I'm often surprised at how many people seem to think that all you need to do to make a car faster is to fit rock hard springs and damping that allows no movement at all. If the car is bouncing over every little bump it's getting unsettled and that's not good. On a super-smooth track you can get away with things being set up very stiff, but even then not all tracks are perfectly smooth, and roads are not even close (not round here anyway!). I tried the Focus RS in the stiffer suspension mode, and it was certainly hopeless on even a good road as the car was jumping about all over the place. I'm sure one of the modes on the CTR suspension will be firm enough for anything I'll ever want to do, either on road or track, and it's possible that on some of the really bad potholed roads round here comfort might even be the best setting for going fast, and the most likely one to leave your teeth still attached. We'll find out soon enough now anyway, with the press getting hold of cars to test drive at the European launch this weekend.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I am getting a real kick out of some of the posts here and on other social media platforms.

This "Honda Civic" kicks the crap out of some really awesome cars on the track and people try to criticize it.

It's safe to say the internet warriors have found their way to the CTR.

This car is hands down a complete home run car for Honda.
Sponsored